2021 NET Rankings

5 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Sure, and it's the resumes that are used, not just the rankings.

I will point out though...PSU's Q2 win is over VCU who is ranked #31. If VCU was #30 instead, that's a Q1 win and suddenly PSU's resume looks a bit better? :)

And, it also tells me that Drake , without a single Quad 1 or Quad 2 win, is a better team than Kansas.  

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I am supposed to be positive, but I still think it breaks down somewhat like this:

Currently 6-4

Games I expect to win from here:  vs. MD, at Neb, vs. Purdue

Games I'd be shocked to win:  at 8 Wisconsin, at 5 Iowa, at 10 Mich, @ 15 Rutgers, vs. 5 Iowa, at NW, at Purdue, vs. 10 Mich, vs. 12 Illinois, vs. 15 Rutgers

That would be 9-14

From there if we win all of these game:  at 23 MSU, at OSU, vs. 16 MN, vs. 23 MSU, we'd be 13-14.  So we'd need to win the 3 listed first, those 4 tough games, and then one upset in that top tier group to finish above .500.

That's tough!

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I know I am supposed to be positive, but I still think it breaks down somewhat like this:

Currently 6-4

Games I'd be shocked to win:  at 8 Wisconsin, at 5 Iowa, at 10 Mich, @ 15 Rutgers, vs. 5 Iowa, at NW, at Purdue, vs. 10 Mich, vs. 12 Illinois, vs. 15 Rutgers

That would be 9-14

From there if we win all of these game:  at 23 MSU, at OSU, vs. 16 MN, vs. 23 MSU, we'd be 13-14.  So we'd need to win the 3 listed first, those 4 tough games, and then one upset in that top tier group to finish above .500.

That's tough!

It's a really tough schedule. That said, it's almost clockwork that we'll win games we don't expect to win and lose games we don't expect to lose. Hopefully we end up where we want to be, but that's why the games are played -- 

I'll say that I do think we are good enough to win a number of the games that appear uphill battles -- but that that depends on our continuing to round into shape offensively. We just came off a really good offensive performance, which was somewhat overlooked because, atypically, we played a not so good defensive game. Our D will be fine -- if our O is rounding into shape, which includes Rob and Al being more productive than games coming into the PSU game (and I think that's likely), we will be better than currently projected. 

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Currently 6-4

That would be 9-14

That's tough!

I don't expect us to win any road games, including Nebraska.  We need to find a way to win out at home.  That puts us at 14-13.  

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't expect us to win any road games, including Nebraska.  We need to find a way to win out at home.  That puts us at 14-13.  

You don't expect us to beat a team that has lost 21 straight conference games, including two against us, one at their place and one, on a neutral court, in a blow out. And this in a year with no fans.

I will have to disregard your prediction. 

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

i get where that is somewhat realistic, but without the crowd, it will be awful tough.  of course it probably makes a road win or two more likely.  i am just not too optimistic because regardless of what we think, no one other than IU fans would expect us to win any of those games i listed as top tier.  

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Just like we shouldn't get to down when our defense plays terrible, we shouldn't get to excited that Rob and AL played well against a a team that isn't really that good.

Not saying we shouldn't be happy to see the ball go through the hoop but that is the exception and not the rule so far this year.  Lets see if Rob and Al step it up for a few games in a row and against a team that won't allow us to have 5 seconds to set our feet before taking a shot.

At this point, we're a .500 team.  We need to be realistic at where we are right now.  Can that change.  Of course, we would move up into the top 6 or we could move down in the bottom 3.  As mentioned by others, its why we play the games.  We have a tough road ahead with plenty of opportunities for the team to get better, show better and grow into what man on here think they are.  I will cheer them on no matter.  I will criticize and praise them when i feel it is warranted.  But if we lose every game from here on our, win them all, or something in between, i will always hope they win when they play and wish the best for the organization.  Having a negative opinion on the coach or a player(s) doesn't make me less of a fan than someone who loves the coach or player(s) that i don't.  It just makes us different humans with different opinions.

hmm.  i'm a little confused.  that happens easily these days.  i thought you and i generally disagree about everything, but maybe i'm getting that confused?  i agree with all of this.  for some reason i thought you were one that usually argued with me when i said stuff like this?  we must argue about something else.  anyway... agreed!

15 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

hmm.  i'm a little confused.  that happens easily these days.  i thought you and i generally disagree about everything, but maybe i'm getting that confused?  i agree with all of this.  for some reason i thought you were one that usually argued with me when i said stuff like this?  we must argue about something else.  anyway... agreed!

Not sure, it is possible.  I tend to be a pessimistic on here.  I hve not been happy with IU basketball for quite a while now.  I usually get blasted by IUScott, BGlease, KOB, HoosierHoopster for my opinions on the team and coach.  Not saying they are wrong or right, just don't tend to see eye to eye with them.  Now if you were what i call a positive or sunshine pumper kind of guy, then yet we probably have not agreed on things in the past.   I just see things differently.

Fellas, NET rankings.  Can we keep it to that in a metrics thread?  Christ, you could a bazillion threads to talk about starting line-ups, Archie, TJD, recruiting...etc.  Some of you have the same problem our team does...lack of focus and execution.  Stick to the NET.  PALEEZE.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Fellas, NET rankings.  Can we keep it to that in a metrics thread?  Christ, you could a bazillion threads to talk about starting line-ups, Archie, TJD, recruiting...etc.  Some of you have the same problem our team does...lack of focus and execution.  Stick to the NET.  PALEEZE.

Deleted my comment.

Net

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Not sure, it is possible.  I tend to be a pessimistic on here.  I hve not been happy with IU basketball for quite a while now.  I usually get blasted by IUScott, BGlease, KOB, HoosierHoopster for my opinions on the team and coach.  Not saying they are wrong or right, just don't tend to see eye to eye with them.  Now if you were what i call a positive or sunshine pumper kind of guy, then yet we probably have not agreed on things in the past.   I just see things differently.

Blast you!

😁

Actually we do agree at times, but I tend to be a glass half full guy....

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

strange.  i usually get blasted by the same guys other than BGleas.  i was thinking you and i usually went at it too though.  seriously though, it may be my fading mind.  i don't think i'm extremely negative.  i think i am critical and defensively pessimistic.  just my style.  i've never been one to be cocky about my team or take anything for granted.  i also learned the game and coaching from people who rarely complimented you.  they were always looking where you needed to improve.  i 

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Its not a bad thing at all.  The world needs balance.  It would be boring if everyone thought the same way.  I am ok with people having a different opinion.

this is what i'm saying.  it's all fine.  Scott and Co. just get so aggressive with those of us who disagree.    

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

strange.  i usually get blasted by the same guys other than BGleas.  i was thinking you and i usually went at it too though.  seriously though, it may be my fading mind.  i don't think i'm extremely negative.  i think i am critical and defensively pessimistic.  just my style.  i've never been one to be cocky about my team or take anything for granted.  i also learned the game and coaching from people who rarely complimented you.  they were always looking where you needed to improve.  i 

this is what i'm saying.  it's all fine.  Scott and Co. just get so aggressive with those of us who disagree.    

It is possible we have disagreed on stuff.  I am not very bright and tend to say stupid things.  So that could be it lol

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Just for me I just get tired of all the negativity especially during the off season.  I understand during games and after the games but hearing the constant complaining gets old

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just for me I just get tired of all the negativity especially during the off season.  I understand during games and after the games but hearing the constant complaining gets old

i understand Scott, but does it mean you should argue every post that isn't positive or exactly how you feel?  maybe consider that?  it's all good, but you pretty much argue everything that i say.  i may not be a basketball wizard, but i have coached for almost 30 years now.  i know a little bball.  i actually like some of your old school thoughts, but disagree with most of what you say.  i just don't comment and call you out on it every time.  

Archived