It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

People shit all over Alfords record but at the least he is lateral with Archies record at much tougher schools....if we are going for another kid major beauty contestant , I say screw it,,,give Alford the reins....at least we can say we were true to the program and went for another former player...what in the hell is worst that could happen? We go sub 500 and no championships in B10 or trips to tournament? Oh wait....we just went through that...

We are trying to get better...not keep the status quo. That isn’t the worst that can happen....THAT IS what will happen. The best that could happen is UCLA...the worst Iowa....he would likely land in the middle.

6 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

I think Dane because his resume is stronger at this point and his is the only name that comes up at the point. He makes the most sense because he already coaches in the big ten recruits well and is likely the next Michigan State coach. So if we get him and he works out he we also taking away a future head coach at Michigan State. If he comes here and brings us back to where we need to be he would never leave 

I'm curious why would MSU pick Fife over Dwayne Stephens as their next coach?

1 minute ago, Shapopojoe said:

And Lewis doesn’t?? Nebraska....UCLA assistant even after Alford left.....sorry but he hasn’t shown how terrible of a head coach he is by crapping over a ...well....community college team ..see IUFW under fife

They were D1,  I am not saying I would want him but I would take him over Lewis. Also remember when Lewis was at Neb. that coaching staff got fired.

So you really have no good reason to pick Fife other than Lewis worked for a coach that got fired and they also let the assistant go which is fairly commonplace....Fife had a D1 laughable...head coach job and it was horrible....also, the guys a Michigan man...born there...second choice to IU...he is hoping for that Izzo spot...

Not saying he is great but he brought a team up from D2 and by year 4 of D1 had them at 18-12

“Failed coach like Alford”.....What is your definition of failure?this should be good...

If you get the keys to a blue blood and you get run out of town. Of course he wouldn’t have a kid to start over an NBA talented kid in Zach Lavine and also to purposely not recruit a legit point guard so his son could continue to start if he came here. But basically he never won a conference title...what is successful with that? 

4 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

“Alford is a downgrade”...do you even follow college basketball or are you 12? Compare records....no comparison....Alford hands down....Big Ten and PAC 12 conference records alone 1 o 2 .500 years....

4 Sweet 16s.... 25 years.... yawn....

Just now, dgambill said:

If you get the keys to a blue blood and you get run out of town. Of course he wouldn’t have a kid to start over an NBA talented kid in Zach Lavine and also to purposely not recruit a legit point guard so his son could continue to start if he came here. But basically he never won a conference title...what is successful with that? 

I wouldn't go by what UCLA does when it comes to firing a coach.  They fired Howland after he went to 3 straight final fours.  They have been chasing the next Wooden since 1975.  I don't want Alford hired but right now I would take getting to the sweet 16 3 of 4 years like he did at UCLA.

7 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

“Failed coach like Alford”.....What is your definition of failure?this should be good...

Being fired twice from Power 5 schools seems like a decent start. A "resignation" from Iowa is lipstick on a pig.

The Mountain West is completely irrelevant  for coaches that aspire to be at IU and his record outside that conference is less than impressive.

6 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

“Alford is a downgrade”...do you even follow college basketball or are you 12? Compare records....no comparison....Alford hands down....Big Ten and PAC 12 conference records alone 1 o 2 .500 years....

Completely different B1G during his tenure at Iowa...probably the weakest it’s ever been....at UCLA he never won his conference.....AT UCLA...that’s like taking over Kentucky and not being able to win the SEC!

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There has been others who didn't start high level 5 star players.  Last year FSU had Williams who didn't start one game and was still a lottery pick

Just now, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't go by what UCLA does when it comes to firing a coach.  They fired Howland after he went to 3 straight final fours.  They have been chasing the next Wooden since 1975.  I don't want Alford hired but right now I would take getting to the sweet 16 3 of 4 years like he did at UCLA.

UCLA gets better talent then IU...and is in a much weaker conference. Alford is best coaching at a big fish in a little bowl.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Completely different B1G during his tenure at Iowa...probably the weakest it’s ever been....at UCLA he never won his conference.....AT UCLA...that’s like taking over Kentucky and not being able to win the SEC!

Well he did win the BTT twice which is twice as much as we have LOL!

Just now, IU Scott said:

There has been others who didn't start high level 5 star players.  Last year FSU had Williams who didn't start one game and was still a lottery pick

Because they started the coaches son...a border line 3 star kid?? Come on...Bryce should not have even been on that team much less starting and then to not recruit over him...Alford shot himself in the foot by giving his son preferential treatment.

But yet stick

He won combined 9 regular and conference championship....to shit on his New Mexico record would be liking shitting on Archie record with Dayton..also, he did win conference championship first year at UCLA...guy has 2 sub 500 records in conference in 25 years....as I said....if you’re going to go for another smaller conference beauty contestant, I will take Alford......

It’s fine...I want nothing to do with him. You like him...hopefully you can just become a Nevada fan and he never comes here. We just disagree.

5 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

But yet stick

He won combined 9 regular and conference championship....to shit on his New Mexico record would be liking shitting on Archie record with Dayton..also, he did win conference championship first year at UCLA...guy has 2 sub 500 records in conference in 25 years....as I said....if you’re going to go for another smaller conference beauty contestant, I will take Alford......

Alford has less than zero chance. Didn’t get interviewed 4 years ago, won’t get interviewed this time around.

Crean has a better resume.

Also, I don’t necessarily think Alford will ever coach IU either but it pisses me off for IU fans to shit on him and the hatred is almost irrational 

I don’t hate him.

I just don’t worship him as a coach because he is a former player.

if he wasn’t a former player, would you care?

5 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Also, I don’t necessarily think Alford will ever coach IU either but it pisses me off for IU fans to shit on him and the hatred is almost irrational 

totally agree with you here.  it's intense and i think irrational is a solid word.  

i really can't believe we are arguing over who would be better between Alford, Lewis, and Fife.  might as well throw Wittman and Smart in there too.  if that's our pool, i feel strongly that i should change my stance on Archie.  we need to give him one more year and hope we come to our senses before we hire a new coach.  i would honestly want Alford from that group though,  

Archived