It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hippopotamo said:

Louisville did that but that’s extenuating circumstances. 

That was in October right before the season. 

The question was a coach fired right at the end of the season and the school basically sitting out the hiring season and waiting a year. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Right, so not the same thing. Tressel resigned under unique circumstances after the college football hiring season. 

I've never heard of a coach getting fired right after the season and then the school basically sitting out the hiring season for a year.

Except it’s OSU football. They can hire who they want when they want. They didn’t have to wait. 

Just now, Feathery said:

Except it’s OSU football. They can hire who they want when they want. They do

Apparently they can't though. 

But again, I've heard of a school firing their coach at the end of a season and then sitting out hiring season. 

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe that is your opinion but in my opinion the candidates would be the same.  You can't say an opinion is false but your opinon is correct

I can absolutely say it's objectively false when it is objectively false. 

You didn't only say candidates, and considering the very top person at IU won't be the same in a year your statement was wrong. It's not the same people making the decision at IU in a year. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Apparently they can't though. 

But again, I've heard of a school firing their coach at the end of a season and then sitting out hiring season. 

I don’t think it’s a smart move to wait it out. It kills recruiting. Ohio State had its worst season in a long time under an interim. Recruiting would have fallen off if they hadn’t hired an all time great coach. 

36 minutes ago, Feathery said:

We aren’t going with an up and comer. So it’s the same pool of nba and power 5 coaches with a former player as the backup plan. It’s objectively false to say a move this year is for the sake of making a move when it’s the worst stretch of IU basketball in 100 years. A change is needed bc Archie has failed. Hiring the right coach will be Dolson this year and Dolson next year. Dolson’s advisors this year with be the same as next year. 

The post I quoted wasn't just about the candidates, it was about the people at IU. IU will have a new President that couldn't possibly be less friendly towards athletics than the one we currently have. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

When the season ends in the summer it certainly can push things to next year. 

Right so that sounds like a maybe next year.  Not sure I would sit around and wait on a maybe next year reply. If they have decided Archie is not the guy and a tier 1 guy is not available you go on to tier 2. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

The post I quoted wasn't just about the candidates, it was about the people at IU. IU will have a new President that couldn't possibly be less friendly towards athletics than the one we currently have. 

The AD will make the hire. If he needs a new president to make a hire, then IU is in worse off than any of us imagine. The candidates will be the same. The booster money is already there. The person leading the search in the AD will be the same. Again, this isn’t a change for the sake of change. This is a change for the sake of the program. Literally the worst stretch in a century. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

The AD will make the hire. If he needs a new president to make a hire, then IU is in worse off than any of us imagine. The candidates will be the same. The booster money is already there. The person leading the search in the AD will be the same. Again, this isn’t a change for the sake of change. This is a change for the sake of the program. Literally the worst stretch in a century. 

Ah how silly of me to think the President could factor into a basketball hire. That's certainly never happened at IU. 

Serious question for everyone who thinks nothing could be different in a year: how many of you would be willing to change jobs, uproot your family, and move across the country after the year we've just had? How many of you would be more open to that after we've returned to more normalcy in the next year?

I know for me personally, I would be significantly more change averse right now then I'll likely be in a year. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Serious question for everyone who thinks nothing could be different in a year: how many of you would be willing to change jobs, uproot your family, and move across the country after the year we've just had? How many of you would be more open to that after we've returned to more normalcy in the next year?

I know for me personally, I would be significantly more change averse right now then I'll likely be in a year. 

Your assuming basketball coaches have normalcy in their lives. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You might be correct if we were talking about last March but not this year.  Things aren't totally back to normal but with the vaccines you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I would think coaches this year would know by the time next seasons rolls around things will probably be back to normal.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

You might be correct if we were talking about last March but not this year.  Things aren't totally back to normal but with the vaccines you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I would think coaches this year would know by the time next seasons rolls around things will probably be back to normal.

I think last March would have been much easier, we had no idea what we were getting into.

After the past year? I think a lot of people would be wary of taking on a significant life event like that. People are pretty emotionally, physically, spiritually, whatever other way you can think of, spent right now. 

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I was trying to illustrate this last weekend, to no avail.  I was trying to show that we need to be playing chess, not checkers.  IMO, the dumbest thing we can do is fire Archie and then hire whatever is in front of our face.  No, we need a well thought out plan, even if it means waiting a year.  It’s patently false to say we will have the exact same candidates next year for sure.  There are situations that can materialize in the meantime.  When I tried to illustrate this before, people argued the details and lost the point.  

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Your assuming basketball coaches have normalcy in their lives. 

No, I'm assuming basketball coaches are people. You all are assuming they're not. 

The notion that basketball coaches don't have the same personal considerations all of us have when changing jobs, or that a university doesn't have the same considerations as a business when making decisions, is honestly silly. Do you guys really believe something with this much at stake operates purely in the form of a silly childs game? 

This from Matt Norlander of CBS

• Let's start with some coaching-cycle scuttlebutt. You better believe there are schools sending out feelers to people connected to coaches to politely gauge their interest in any potential openings. In talking to various sources in the past week, here's my impression as of today with power-conference gigs that have speculation around them and expectations in the coming days and weeks.   

Jobs I've been told are definitely opening: DePaul, Minnesota

Jobs I've been told are definitely not opening: Marquette, Miami, Notre Dame.

Jobs I've been told will probably not open: Indiana, Kansas State, South Carolina

Job I've been told is more likely to open than not: Iowa State

A unique situation no one can predict: Arizona.

Archived