The Maturity of Khristian Lander

IUFLA

Just now, KoB2011 said:

It's pretty rare for a freshman on a basketball team to not turn 19 before the end of their season. 

No it’s not. I turned 18 between my senior year and freshman year of high school. My son will do the same. As I’ve pointed out in another thread, someone I’m close with is 18 and playing D1 ball right now. We all graduated in our correct year. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ThatGuy said:

No it’s not. I turned 18 between my senior year and freshman year of high school. My son will do the same. As I’ve pointed out in another thread, someone I’m close with is 18 and playing D1 ball right now. We all graduated in our correct year. 

Yes, it is. 

Given that the cutoff is in the summer in most states, it's fair to say about 75% of kids that are in the "correct grade" will turn 19 before the end of college basketball season. When you factor in that many athletes who are close to the cut off line get held back, it's fair to say it's pretty rare. 

For a kid to not turn 19 until the August after their freshman year, that's really young. 

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, it is. 

Given that the cutoff is in the summer in most states, it's fair to say about 75% of kids that are in the "correct grade" will turn 19 before the end of college basketball season. When you factor in that many athletes who are close to the cut off line get held back, it's fair to say it's pretty rare. 

For a kid to not turn 19 until the August after their freshman year, that's really young. 

I know Purdue is young, so I looked at their roster. Zach Edy is less than 3 months older than Lander. His birthday is in May. I’ve never heard anybody make a big deal about his age. I guess it’s just what one’s definition of rare is. 

Edit: technically I guess it’s rare to play a D1 sport. 

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's the thing though...He really HASN'T gotten a lot of time...he didn't join the team until the 2nd semester (he graduated high school mid semester of his senior year) and is only averaging 6 minutes per game...

So he's getting brought along even more slowly that Khristian, even though OSU has an excellent team around him...

Not sure comparing this Johnson kid to Lander is all that favorable to Lander or Archie...

Lander was the #27 recruit in his class, had all summer to work out in Bloomington, and has been fully integrated with the team all season.  He’s averaging 9.7 mpg, 2.0 ppg, 1.2 apg, and 0.8 rpg, and shooting 23.4% from the field.

Johnson was the #123 recruit in his class, and didn’t get to Columbus until December.  He’s averaging 6.1 mpg, 1.5 ppg, 0.2 apg, and 0.4 rpg, and shooting 43.8% from the field.

So Holtman is getting about the same production out of a sub-100 recruit who’s been on campus for two months as Archie is getting out of a top 30 recruit who’s been on campus all year.  Not good.

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not sure comparing this Johnson kid to Lander is all that favorable to Lander or Archie...

Lander was the #27 recruit in his class, had all summer to work out in Bloomington, and has been fully integrated with the team all season.  He’s averaging 9.7 mpg, 2.0 ppg, 1.2 apg, and 0.8 rpg, and shooting 23.4% from the field.

Johnson was the #123 recruit in his class, and didn’t get to Columbus until December.  He’s averaging 6.1 mpg, 1.5 ppg, 0.2 apg, and 0.4 rpg, and shooting 43.8% from the field.

So Holtman is getting about the same production out of a sub-100 recruit who’s been on campus for two months as Archie is getting out of a top 30 recruit who’s been on campus all year.  Not good.

You know, at this point there's not much to compare for either kid...it wasn't a comparison any way...it was me showing this group that we have 3 really exciting freshman point guards in our conference ...Lander and Johnson are both are ahead of the game...and both will be good point guards in the future...

But I see through your post...any jab you can take at Miller, you will...

I get it...like I told @IU Scott I understand you want him gone...but bringing it to every thread just shows your agenda... 

18 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

I know Purdue is young, so I looked at their roster. Zach Edy is less than 3 months older than Lander. His birthday is in May. I’ve never heard anybody make a big deal about his age. I guess it’s just what one’s definition of rare is. 

Edit: technically I guess it’s rare to play a D1 sport. 

I would call Edy young for a D1 sport, too. 

But yeah, if you read me saying rare to mean 1% of athletes and I mean it as like 20% then it's probably more of a disagreement of semantics than anything. 

Regardless, young or not, Lander decided to come play. He wasn't close to ready but he still has a lot of upside. I certainly don't buy that as a built-in pass for anyone this season. I like Lander's upside but he and Rob have been the two biggest disappointments for me this season.

Perhaps, those two are the only real individual disappointments and are probably the difference in us as a bubble team vs. us as a top 5ish team in our league. 

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You know, at this point there's not much to compare for either kid...it wasn't a comparison any way...it was me showing this group that we have 3 really exciting freshman point guards in our conference ...Lander and Johnson are both are ahead of the game...and both will be good point guards in the future...

I get it...like I told @IU Scott I understand you want him gone...but bringing it to every thread just shows your agenda... 

Oh I certainly have an agenda... You’ll get no argument from me there, haha.

53 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If someone takes the time to post something about something, they have an agenda.  I don't know why you keep throwing that at people. Of course he does.  Of course I do.  And absolutely you do.  The difference is that they don't all align with your agenda, therefore they are wrong and shouldn't be posted.   

Keep banging your drum until the end, i commend you for it, but each passing day you're standing on the outside looking in at the fanbase.  Its ok and you should stick to your positivity.  But it doesn't make you better or right because you have a positive opinion of the coach/team.  And us having our opinions don't make us right or better than anyone else.  We're all just a bunch of assholes who love IU basketball and want to see better.  We just see it through different lenses of life

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

If someone takes the time to post something about something, they have an agenda. 

So, beyond trying to let this group know what a bright young class of point guards we have in the current B1G, what was my agenda with the Curbelo, Lander, Johnson post?

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And you'll crap on one of our kids to further it...

Very nice of you...

Citing a kid’s stats is “crapping” on him?

I actually really like Lander’s potential.  That’s why I’m hoping we can bring in a coach that can actually help him reach it.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Citing a kid’s stats is “crapping” on him?

I actually really like Lander’s potential.  That’s why I’m hoping we can bring in a coach that can actually help him reach it.

LOL...You used the smallest of sample sizes (and I kinda doubt you knew who Meechie Johnson was before this thread) to say Khristian wasn't progressing as well as Johnson was...Yeah, I don't care for it when people try to make one of our kids look bad by comparison because they want the coach fired...

You know, per 40 minutes, Lander averages almost 5 assists per 40 and Johnson 1.4...and they ARE point guards...

That's just to show you how cherry picking can come back to bite you...

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

LOL...You used the smallest of sample sizes (and I kinda doubt you knew who Meechie Johnson was before this thread) to say Khristian wasn't progressing as well as Johnson was...Yeah, I don't care for it when people try to make one of our kids look bad by comparison because they want the coach fired...

You know, per 40 minutes, Lander averages almost 5 assists per 40 and Johnson 1.4...and they ARE point guards...

That's just to show you how cherry picking can come back to bite you...

Lol, without cherry picking, pretty much the entirety of internet discourse wouldn’t exist.  And you cherry picked a nice stat there yourself!  That’s how this whole message board thing works.

Regardless, I think even Lander himself would say he hasn’t performed up to expectations this season.  IMO, the “get old, stay old” philosophy hasn’t allowed the freshmen to develop all that much over the course of this season.  Here’s hoping next season is a lot better.

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So, beyond trying to let this group know what a bright young class of point guards we have in the current B1G, what was my agenda with the Curbelo, Lander, Johnson post?

Come one man.  You're a very intelligent and articulate man.  You know very well that you rail against anyone who has anything negative to say about the coach, players or program.  You take every single post and act like they are personally attacking players for saying they are "X".  Your view of the players, coach and team just don't align with most of the fans who are posting on this site at the moment.  Yet you will counter post and argue ever single on of them.  This board stays pretty tame compared to twitter and many other boards.  Almost no one will say anything specific about a coach or person.  Its not what we do on here.  You're agenda is your own and i don't know exactly what it is.  But no know argues as much as you do without having some sort of end game in mind.

27 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol, without cherry picking, pretty much the entirety of internet discourse wouldn’t exist.  And you cherry picked a nice stat there yourself!  That’s how this whole message board thing works.

Regardless, I think even Lander himself would say he hasn’t performed up to expectations this season.  IMO, the “get old, stay old” philosophy hasn’t allowed the freshmen to develop all that much over the course of this season.  Here’s hoping next season is a lot better.

Whose expectations? Yours? 

Anything we get out of Khristian Lander this year is a plus, and not just for this year. I think some of you see the high ranking he had for 2021 and think "instant star!"

He's shown potential... And he's starting to fulfill it...

I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised next year...

31 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Come one man.  You're a very intelligent and articulate man.  You know very well that you rail against anyone who has anything negative to say about the coach, players or program.  You take every single post and act like they are personally attacking players for saying they are "X".  Your view of the players, coach and team just don't align with most of the fans who are posting on this site at the moment.  Yet you will counter post and argue ever single on of them.  This board stays pretty tame compared to twitter and many other boards.  Almost no one will say anything specific about a coach or person.  Its not what we do on here.  You're agenda is your own and i don't know exactly what it is.  But no know argues as much as you do without having some sort of end game in mind.

I say something when I see something unfair or untrue...

I thought that was what a fan was supposed to do...

I've said it more times than I can count...but valid criticism I'd one thing...made up BS is something different...

And I'll call it every time...

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Whose expectations? Yours?

Speaking of made up BS... You’re engaging in revisionist history if you’re trying to claim there weren’t high expectations for Lander across the board.  Actually just came across this on Twitter coincidentally... Lander was the second leading vote getter for FOY in the preseason poll.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Speaking of made up BS... You’re engaging in revisionist history if you’re trying to claim there weren’t high expectations for Lander across the board.  Actually just came across this on Twitter coincidentally... Lander was the second leading vote getter for FOY in the preseason poll.

Yes, let's trust the media 🙄

I don't think Archie Miller and the coaching staff had expectations any where near B10 FOY...

Notice they also had Michigan 6th and MSU 4th

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, let's trust the media 🙄

I don't think Archie Miller and the coaching staff had expectations any where near B10 FOY...

Did you not read this board before the season when people were worried that he would be one and done.  I wasn't one of them and never thought he would even start this year.

1 minute ago, IUguy said:

He's so up and down, but slowly gettin better.  What i cannot for the life of me understand is why he can't make an easy lay up once he gets to the hoop.  I don't know how many cripples he's missed, but it's rediculous.

He made his last 2 against Michigan, so it's coming...

Archived