AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Names are not hard to figure out.  Let’s start with easy ones: Cook, Simon, Ursay are easy ones.  All have invested in sports and buildings at IU and have families invested in IU in some way.  Then there are the people that work for these companies that are successful and people that may not have names on buildings but donate to IU athletics.  Not saying any of these names is who IUwins is referring to but it’s not hard to form a list of likely suspects.

I also agree that it’s not worth engaging on who replaces Archie.  It’s irrelevant to the direct conversation.  Either Archie is doing the job or he isn’t.  If you have the means to make a change and feel it’s the right choice that should guide your final decision.  I couldn’t imagine firing one of my employees that consistently doesn’t meet expectations because I’m worried I won’t find a suitable replacement.

24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Here's a question for the board.  Say we miss the dance this season.  Trayce comes back not because he wants to but because he has no choice.  We finish year 5 say 3-4 in the B1G and lose in the Sweet 16. Years 6 and 7 look pretty poor on paper due to poor recruiting.   If you're Dolson what do you do?  

I honestly think that's a likely scenario and why many want a change this season as Archie could pull a Crean and do "just enough" next season. 

This is where the get old stay old will come into play.  Years 6 and 7.  Presumably you have all these freshman, maybe Armaan, Stewart and Logan.   Not a horrible core.  

This off-season will be very interesting to say the least.  Years 6 and 7 could have some transfers with a couple years left - like Stewart.  

I know some people don’t think this squad could make S16 next year, but I think the potential is there.  Maybe go further.     But - I also can’t say definitively who will even be on this team next fall. 

28 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Here's a question for the board.  Say we miss the dance this season.  Trayce comes back not because he wants to but because he has no choice.  We finish year 5 say 3-4 in the B1G and lose in the Sweet 16. Years 6 and 7 look pretty poor on paper due to poor recruiting.   If you're Dolson what do you do?  

I honestly think that's a likely scenario and why many want a change this season as Archie could pull a Crean and do "just enough" next season. 

This is so spot on.  If you are not prepared to extend him next year after this type of season you should cut him now.  Or go into next year making it very clear what the bar is and I would set it pretty dang high.

30 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If we finished 3rd in the big ten and make the sweet 16 you bring him back.  It would show signs of improvement and if that is the case guys like Lander and Franklin probably had great years.  It would probably mean that the other freshman probably got better so that would be signs that the futrur eis looking better.

With this year going sideways and Archie’s contract situation being what it is, IU is in a good spot in that next year is the obvious “prove it” year. Unless year 5 is a solid improvement the administration will move on with a minimal buyout and search for the next guy. If year 5 is solid then they can give a small extension and move forward while also keeping them in a position to cut ties easily if improvement isn’t maintained. 

4 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

This is so spot on.  If you are not prepared to extend him next year after this type of season you should cut him now.  Or go into next year making it very clear what the bar is and I would set it pretty dang high.

I think it’s going to be the latter.   Regardless of what happens this year, next year - with a lot of experience back, he has to have success next year. 

1 minute ago, Hippopotamo said:

With this year going sideways and Archie’s contract situation being what it is, IU is in a good spot in that next year is the obvious “prove it” year. Unless year 5 is a solid improvement the administration will move on with a minimal buyout and search for the next guy. If year 5 is solid then they can give a small extension and move forward while also keeping them in a position to cut ties easily if improvement isn’t maintained. 

Yup

37 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

l have a feeling if it does, in fact,  actually get “hot”......Dolson will pull the plug and not let it drag on like Glass did on several coaches....At some point it’s strictly business and should never become personal.

Somebody threw up Archie’s record against the teams in the conference.  Against Wisconsin, Ohio State, Purdue and Michigan, IU is something like 2-20.   Thats a pure stat. Not a spin or excuse, etc.  Indefensible. Archie would admit that can’t go on.  He’s left no margin for error so he pretty much needs to start beating them immediately.   You can’t tack on additional 0-3 the rest of the way to that cohort and then 0-7 or whatever next year.  That’s not going to work.  He’s not going to want to be 3-30 against them at the end of next year.   It needs to be much more like 8-22.  Still not good but it would be getting better.  It’s pretty damning.  

Dolson is surely looking at data like that, stuff that ceases to be a coincidence but a true measuring stick.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Somebody threw up Archie’s record against the teams in the conference.  Against Wisconsin, Ohio State, Purdue and Michigan, IU is something like 2-20.   Thats a pure stat. Not a spin or excuse, etc.  Indefensible. Archie would admit that can’t go on.  He’s left no margin for error so he pretty much needs to start beating them immediately.   You can’t tack on additional 0-3 the rest of the way to that cohort and then 0-7 or whatever next year.  That’s not going to work.  He’s not going to want to be 3-30 against them at the end of next year.   It needs to be much more like 8-22.  Still not good but it would be getting better.  It’s pretty damning.  

I have said this before and I will say it again. We are the Northwestern of the Big 10 from 20 years ago. Teams no longer fear us, they aren't concerned about playing in our building and they look at us as a guaranteed notch in the victory column. 

2 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I have said this before and I will say it again. We are the Northwestern of the Big 10 from 20 years ago. Teams no longer fear us, they aren't concerned about playing in our building and they look at us as a guaranteed notch in the victory column. 

Tom Izzo disagrees.

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

I have some Northwestern family and they just look at me sadly.  They see IU as wholly irrelevant.  

By the way, our home loss to Northwestern was an extremely bad loss.  I said it at the time and I was told how dumb I was because Northwestern is legit.  You just can’t lose those games at Indiana.  We aren’t here for that.  

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have some Northwestern family and they just look at me sadly.  They see IU as wholly irrelevant.  

By the way, our home loss to Northwestern was an extremely bad loss.  I said it at the time and I was told how dumb I was because Northwestern is legit.  You just can’t lose those games at Indiana.  We aren’t here for that.  

Home losses are completely unacceptable if the intent to compete at a high level in conference play and also NCAA seeding. That is one thing that blows me away when discussing the current status of this team. There is no excuse for it

Dolson is an absolute yes man, question is, who does he answer to? The President, who is out in June/July or the prominent boosters who help or should I say write his paychecks.  It will be an interesting off season with a bunch of stuff swirling around.  Some will be true and some will be wishful thoughts

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

The major donor that I’m friends with is fed up and wants a change immediately.  He doesn’t have any buildings named after him but he is friends with some that have their names on things. I still don’t think it will happen, but the buyout money would come and come rather quick and easily even this year. All it takes is them to say the money won’t be coming and changes happen fast.  I’ve given up on thinking we will see improvement and it will take more than 1-2 games to change my mind and most others that I’ve been in touch with. 

Can you ask him what you think IU would be willing to pony up for the next coach?  Economically, if we want someone with success you’d have to have a $6M handle, maybe a $7M.  Kansas, UNC, Kentucky.  They are not going to nickel and dime at the $3 million tier guys.  Heck if Stevens and his wife have any desire to ultimately get closer to home, you gotta blow the doors off.  Ten years for $100 million.  It’s time to be bold.  If we putter around with “who can we get for “$3.5,” the desirable guys won’t even discuss.  Oats, Beard, these guys will want premium money, like 2x Archie money, maybe more.  If you don’t believe that Kansas wouldn’t go 7 years for $50 M for Beard I’ve got some swamp land in alligator alley for you.  

11 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Dolson is an absolute yes man, question is, who does he answer to? The President, who is out in June/July or the prominent boosters who help or should I say write his paychecks.  It will be an interesting off season with a bunch of stuff swirling around.  Some will be true and some will be wishful thoughts

I’m giving him a chance.  Maybe he will be great.  But it was so odd that we passed on guys with Ph.D’s, MBA’s, And JD’s and sometimes all three for a guy with a bachelors who may be fine as middle management.   But putting him in charge was so odd.   Something is lurking behind that decision.  I am hoping for the best, but it’s very odd.   Reynolds would never do it but he’s a minority with 10x the resume and here we are with Dolson.  That reeks to the point you could put it in front of a judge.  It’s almost as if IU doesn’t get legal advice.  

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m giving him a chance.  Maybe he will be great.  But it was so odd that we passed on guys with Ph.D’s, MBA’s, And JD’s and sometimes all three for a guy with a bachelors who may be fine as middle management.   But putting him in charge was so odd.   Something is lurking behind that decision.  I am hoping for the best, but it’s very odd.   Reynolds would never do it but he’s a minority with 10x the resume and here we are with Dolson.  That reeks to the point you could put it in front of a judge.  It’s almost as if IU doesn’t get legal advice.  

You think it was odd that Indiana University made such a pitiful hire for AD? This is Indiana we are talking about. Timid, lazy, low hanging fruit is what they are all about.

26 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Can you ask him what you think IU would be willing to pony up for the next coach?  Economically, if we want someone with success you’d have to have a $6M handle, maybe a $7M.  Kansas, UNC, Kentucky.  They are not going to nickel and dime at the $3 million tier guys.  Heck if Stevens and his wife have any desire to ultimately get closer to home, you gotta blow the doors off.  Ten years for $100 million.  It’s time to be bold.  If we putter around with “who can we get for “$3.5,” the desirable guys won’t even discuss.  Oats, Beard, these guys will want premium money, like 2x Archie money, maybe more.  If you don’t believe that Kansas wouldn’t go 7 years for $50 M for Beard I’ve got some swamp land in alligator alley for you.  

I’ll see him Friday.  I’ll see what I can get out of him, if anything.  He’s usually willing to talk but I try not to pry too much.  

30 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What would happen if we got Stevens for the contract and he is just average.  Could you imagine that buyout if he doesn't succeed, LOL!

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What would happen if we got Stevens for the contract and he is just average.  Could you imagine that buyout if he doesn't succeed, LOL!

Look no further than the Super Bowl for extreme opposites leading to success.  The Chiefs hit the lottery by getting Mahomes in the draft.  The Bucs went out and bought a QB that could lead the team to a Super Bowl.

The Bucs approach had higher possibility of success.  

Stevens would not fail at IU, just like Brady did not fail in Tampa.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Look no further than the Super Bowl for extreme opposites leading to success.  The Chiefs hit the lottery by getting Mahomes in the draft.  The Bucs went out and bought a QB that could lead the team to a Super Bowl.

The Bucs approach had higher possibility of success.  

Stevens would not fail at IU, just like Brady did not fail in Tampa.

I know he wouldn't fail

Archived