Northwestern Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Hoosier Daddy 4 said:

I think OSU will be a good matchup for us. They are a very good team but don’t scare me as much overall. With the two following I’m hoping for a nice winning streak going forward. I know that is optimistic but winning a game after beating a top 25 team sounds like a win streak coming. 

OSU really doesn't have much size so hopefully out bigs can come to play.

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've watched very little of them.  How is their dribble penetration?  This team goes as they are able to contain.  

Tallest guy that plays is 6’8. Pretty split in scoring guards to bigs. Like to kick out for shots. I think we match up well. They do look good the game I have seen. Iowa most recently but was close game. So I think this is a winnable game for sure. Especially when we typically show up for big games. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wow, Phinisee is 3-for-22, including 1-for-11 from 2pt range, his last 4 games to go with 12 fouls. 

On the season he's shooting 38.4% overall, 33.9% from 3 and 64.5% from the free throw line. I hate to rag on him, but that's horrible. 

His confidence is completely shattered.

Incredibly happy we pulled that one out! But a few concerns of mine.

1. I’m not happy that After Lander, Franklin, Leal, Race, TJD dominated Iowa at the end of the first half that we have yet to see that same lineup since then. I think it’s IU’s best lineup. 

2. when TJD gets doubled someone needs to cut to middle of the lane but Instead all 4 guys stand around.

3. We continue to get off to bad starts because starting and playing Rob and Al together does not work. They play way to many minutes together and it usually really hurts us offensively. Lineup change needs to happen. Rob needs to go back to the bench. 

but I am glad that Archie had figured out that Franklin needs to the ball In his hands at the end of games. 

4 minutes ago, KDB said:

His confidence is completely shattered.

It really is, and unfortunately I think he is the one glaring reason IU is still largely mediocre this year. Don't get me wrong, there are other problems, but when your point guard shoots sub-40% from the field, sub-35% from 3, and sub-65% from the free throw line, it's tough to be any good. 

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wow, Phinisee is 3-for-22, including 1-for-11 from 2pt range, his last 4 games to go with 12 fouls. 

On the season he's shooting 38.4% overall, 33.9% from 3 and 64.5% from the free throw line. I hate to rag on him, but that's horrible. 

He seems to be following the Robert Johnson path. Veteran guard who shows up 1 out of every 4 games. 

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, it’s a W, I guess. I don’t like saying this, because it’s kind of harsh and i really like the kid, but if CAM ends up getting fired in the next year or two, a significant reason will be not developing RP into a PG that can penetrate and consistently hit shots. This team is desperate for that, and Lander just isn’t there yet. 

I saw some growth from Lander tonight. He made a couple dribble drives one with a beautiful wrap around pass to Geronimo for a dunk and the second he shot a little 15 footer...he missed it but dang that is what we need a guy to get to the middle of the floor and score or create. I’d much rather see him develop that shot even more than the 3pt shot. You don’t have to get all the way to the rim like Rob tries...just beat your man then lift up for a jumper. That starts happening then bigs will come flying out and he will have 10 assist a game waiting for him with Race and Trayce around the rim. Baby steps but they are happening...a whole offseason and I can’t imagine what can happen!

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Watch the last 5 mins and OT

2 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

Better to skip to the end and rewind 1 minute.

2 hours ago, Hoosier Daddy 4 said:

Not sure you should watch it. Trust me. We played great. 😜

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

As was posted earlier, fast forward to the last 5minute and 2 OT's....

2 hours ago, Huntnfreak said:

Don’t do it...just accept the W...trust me!!

I watched the game. The whole game.  A game we should have won, a game we haven't won 2 of the last 9 times, a game we almost didn't, but, somehow we did.  And I'm glad I did watch. I saw Geronimo with a few nice plays including a dunk on a slick pass from Lander. In a game when our guards were forced to take over, 2 of the 3 of them did just that. No idea what is up with Rob but CAM seemed happy with him as they walked out off the floor.

Listening to a few minutes of the second half on Chicago radio, I was surprised how often Leal had his name mentioned. It was like we were playing 2 on 5.  It seems the luck factor just tipped slightly our way tonight.  Hope the team had some Lou Malnattis for a post game dinner and can continue this momentum Sat.

Archived