Northwestern Post-Game Thread

KDB

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Man, that step back three by Hunter was insane. That had to feel amazing for him. Also Lander’s passing is so crisp sometimes. Just a marvel to watch. That little pass to Geronimo for the slam was gold. 

Tough, tough game though. First half was absolute dog 💩

Huge credit to the team for gutting that one out and for turning around the free throws. 

Also just watched the Collins video; good reminder that there are more important things than a game. 

Hunter has a big role on this team. Like it or not...good defense or not he stretches the defense. He pulls bigs away from the lane unlike Race. The guy isn’t afraid to shoot. We got two kids on this team that seem to have endless amount of confidence to shoot...Lander and Hunter. They aren’t particularly great shooters but they are always ready and looking for their shot first as opposed to running the offense. Franklin is growing into that too. I really wish Leal and Rob and some others would start doing the same. On a team where we struggle to score he could really be a catalyst if he will stay focused and continue to give effort on the defensive end.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

You can't say that! The people that know basketball on this forum know better! Archie sucks! The team sucks! 

Seriously though, I think some people think this team is going to turn from the ugly duckling into the beautiful swan...well, that's not going to happen. While I love dazzling, symmetrical  basketball as much as anybody, there's something to be said for mental toughness, physical toughness, and grit. Thank God our players don't wave the white flag as readily as some on here do.

On to OSU...

They were mentally tough last night.  There are cases that can be made that they are a roller coaster when it comes to that though.

It was good to get the win but posts like this almost invite someone with an opposite opinion to hit you with 4 years of data when the physical and mentall toughness and grit were not on display.  That is what people have an issue with.  The program is bipolar.

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They were mentally tough last night.  There are cases that can be made that they are a roller coaster when it comes to that though.

It was good to get the win but posts like this almost invite someone with an opposite opinion to hit you with 4 years of data when the physical and mentall toughness and grit were not on display.  That is what people have an issue with.  The program is bipolar.

Yes...always easy to assess effort, grit, and determination from a Barcalounger...

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hunter has a big role on this team. Like it or not...good defense or not he stretches the defense. He pulls bigs away from the lane unlike Race. The guy isn’t afraid to shoot. We got two kids on this team that seem to have endless amount of confidence to shoot...Lander and Hunter. They aren’t particularly great shooters but they are always ready and looking for their shot first as opposed to running the offense. Franklin is growing into that too. I really wish Leal and Rob and some others would start doing the same. On a team where we struggle to score he could really be a catalyst if he will stay focused and continue to give effort on the defensive end.

I do not like it.  I think he has been overrated by many.  Definitely inconsistent (who isn't on our team?)  I'm not one to automatically condemn a kid for one thing, but whatever he was suspended for makes me wonder even more about him and why he is underachieving.  

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

The other thing from the Coach Collins video we all forget about is what all these kids are dealing with as far as covid goes. These kids haven't been home since the summer. They aren't being paid to do that.

To piggyback your observation, Indykev.....I picked up on that too, but I even got a bit more from it.
I think we all forget, at least myself, about their mental state during all of this.
Correct me if I’m wrong here, MOST, if not all players haven’t been home since the summer. These players have missed spending Thanksgiving and Christmas at home. They can’t even go home for a simple weekend visit with family & friends and not focus on basketball. These are much needed mental and physical times to decompress, re-energize and refocus even if it’s for one or two nights. I’m not making excuses for our up and down play this season, but you have to admit,...there is merit to what I am saying. 
Each player and every coach deal  with the highs and lows of this season in their own unique way. It’s really like they are in their own bubble. This can take a toll mentally, physically and emotionally.....

Home games?...Assembly Hall is a vast ghost town void of the loudest fans in the country. Absent are the live sounds of The Big Red Band and cheerleaders. These are the, ever important “Sixth Man” elements missing from our game.
You take away all these things that IU players and coaches have ever known..... and what do we see ? 

IMHO, at times, we see emotionally, mentally and physically frustrated players, coaches AND fans.

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This team absolutely needs Jerome.  He is a key to some of what ails us.

2 hours ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

I think ole' RP has the yips. There was a free throw in the first half that looked like he was aiming it up there and didn't follow through. Really hope he can get it straightened out. Our best on ball defender but still struggles on the offensive end.

I find him fascinating.  His slump is immediately after his best game ever at IU (at Iowa), and even last night, after missing his first three free throws, he drained his last two in a clutch moment like a cold-blooded assassin.

It seems like the RP conundrum is always presented as a binary choice - who plays, RP or Lander - when in my mind, the best PG on our team right now is Franklin. I would start Franklin, Durham, Leal/Hunter, Thompson, Davis. I’d have Lander off the bench to spell Franklin and Rob can get minutes when we have a PG on the floor but need to rest another guard. 

11 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I am not convinced Franklin is our best point guard! I think both Durham and Franklin seem to be best when someone else drives and hits them with a pass to shoot! Franklin does a poor job when he is handling the ball at the top of the key. He tends to turn it over.

Perhaps. But he is also the only guy we have that can make a play when things bog down. So he needs the ball in his hands more often.

He does struggle with ball handling when pressured. But the risk/reward says I want him to have the ball and create. Nobody else on this team can do that.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Great article.  For whatever reason, Al gets some over the top criticism on this board.  A lot of it is unwarranted.  No, he's not an all-conference performer.  Yes, he has an occasional poor performance.  But, most of the time he is steady.  He's certainly not the biggest question mark we have in the backcourt.  

In a perfect world Al is a spot up shooter...a spark plug off the bench that will give you 3 and D. He just isn’t a guy that should be playing 30- 35 mins a night. Problem is when he and Rob play together our backcourt is just too passive...it bogs down and honestly the ball doesn’t move well. Both are great teammates it seems and give great effort...especially defensively. They don’t tend to turn it over a lot and so I understand why Archie trusts them...but he is limited in his ability...and it hinders the team.
It’s very hard to have two guys in your backcourt that don’t really create offense for others, can’t really get by their man, and struggle to knock down defended shots. He really played like a senior down the stretch last night...especially at the free throw line. He wanted to shoot those! But I’ll say we can’t ignore everything we’ve seen all year long and what we saw for 35 mins in regulation. It really isnt necessarily both are bad players but the combo of both playing lots of minutes together that is just hard on our offense.

31 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I am not convinced Franklin is our best point guard! I think both Durham and Franklin seem to be best when someone else drives and hits them with a pass to shoot! Franklin does a poor job when he is handling the ball at the top of the key. He tends to turn it over.

That's because both aren't natural point guards

2 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I think it’s becoming increasing clear that Franklin is the most important player on the floor along with Trace. Traces presence alone creates problems for the other team. Franklin has shown the ability to fill the voids and carry his team.

He is the only one that can beat his man and get down hill or get an open jumper. He really is having to force quite a bit and his turnover numbers have gone up dramatically but that is his role. Honestly we need another guard that can also break down a defense like this. Maybe that is Stewart but definitely Lander will have to assume that role next year as well.

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

The other thing from the Coach Collins video we all forget about is what all these kids are dealing with as far as covid goes. These kids haven't been home since the summer. They aren't being paid to do that.

I think this is a huge factor in quality of play, competitive fire, etc.   The player experience pretty much sucks compared to normal times.  Archie and other coaches have mentioned the fatigue of the routine and I think it shows on all the players and staff.  Thanks to all those people for providing us the luxury of watching them play and pretending it really matters.    

2 minutes ago, Lizard said:

I think this is a huge factor in quality of play, competitive fire, etc.   The player experience pretty much sucks compared to normal times.  Archie and other coaches have mentioned the fatigue of the routine and I think it shows on all the players and staff.  Thanks to all those people for providing us the luxury of watching them play and pretending it really matters.    

You know we got on the Cross kid saying we wouldn’t take him because of his mind set etc etc but no one knows what is going on with the kids personal life and how all this stuff is effecting them. Can completely understand he could be burnt out or frustrated and wanting to transfer out.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Being on lockdown is bad for everyone, but I have always felt it’s especially tough for kids.  It is easier for an adult to hide under his bed for a prolonged period but if you are playing on a team or just being a kid, it’s brutal.  As for the younger kids, who knows how this is shaping them.  

It’s why I thank God I live in Florida and we’ve been open and free after the two week lockdown in March. We’ve had schools open and no cases of Covid in it and only one worker that got it but it was from a family member and not school/student related. 
My daughter is 2 and goes to a Montessori school and interacts everyday with other little kids and the teachers...can’t even imagine how stunted her social skills would be with no one to play and share with and how scared she would be to interact with other adults. All the things she wouldn’t learn like her whole alphabet and count to 20 and Spanish...some I have been teaching but having them work with her too is huge to keep her developing at such an impressionable age. Heck it’s bad enough every stranger she sees has a mask on and what that must do to a small child’s mind and not being able to read facial cues etc when people come up and talk to her (I see her get scared sometimes) but to not get the regular normal child interactions would be awful imo. Just a small sample of what kids of all ages are going through! So many more examples. 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not to mention the transfer rules too...

You HAVE to be at least somewhat of a "player's coach" nowadays or you'll be overhauling your roster every year...

Chris Beard said his number one job as a coach is focused on roster management. Basically these guys are like mini GMs and have to re-recruit their team every year and be proactive on the transfer circuit. Crazy it isn’t even coaching anymore...it’s managing kids.

16 minutes ago, Lizard said:

Last night during the broadcast they were wondering what impact MI’s shutdown will have on the team. They were playing so well. Questions were raised about how much the players and team have been allowed to do during this time 

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Last night during the broadcast they were wondering what impact MI’s shutdown will have on the team. They were playing so well. Questions were raised about how much the players and team have been allowed to do during this time 

No doubt...I would love to be the first team to play them when they get back. No doubt very rusty. What I don’t get is Michigan shuts down EVERYTHING for like 3 weeks and UK shut down for one day (Texas game)...how is that even possible!

Archived