Purdue Envy

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I chose those games because that IU team was a joy to watch (save for the Syracuse game). 

I watched the first Michigan game with him the other night and IU literally had 20 points 4 minutes into the game.  At the time, Michigan was #1 in the country and we were #3.  After missing 3 free throw early in the contest, made something like 20 straight the remainder of the game.  

That was the game known for Vic's missed dunk.  Vic actually did not have that good of a game.  But, Zeller was an absolute monster.  

Yep. Was in attendance for that one. I've been watching many of older highlights/games lately. I still go back to one of my favorite games of all time that I attended. IU vs Bill Self's Top 10 Illini team in 2002. Gus and Rafferty on the call....they were laughing with 15 minutes to go in 2nd half at what was happening. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well couldn't we split the games and win the rest of the games on our schedule

That was my point,  We were both 19-1 in conference.  Split our series.  So, essentially my question is whether IU fans would prefer

• To be very good if it meant Purdue was equally very good
  • Or, have IU just be mediocre if it meant that Purdue was horrifically bad, 

I would take IU being very good every time, but I get the feeling that, for some people, it's more important for Purdue to be terrible than it is for IU to be good.

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My son has been watching a lot of the 2012-2103 season this week.

A couple of links to make IU fans feel better.

Purdue vs. Indiana - Box Score - February 16, 2013 - ESPN

Indiana vs. Purdue - Box Score - January 30, 2013 - ESPN

Don’t get me depressed remembering how disappointing that season was...what should have been.

Just now, 5fouls said:

That was my point,  We were both 19-1 in conference.  Split our series.  So, essentially my question is whether IU fans would prefer

I would take IU being very good every time, but I get the feeling that, for some people, it's more important for Purdue to be terrible than it is for IU to be good.

Won't answer for anyone else. Of course people want IU to be very good. The only time I hear about Purdue is when I log onto an IU message board. Otherwise.....insignificant to my day to day. 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I want IU to be 19-1 and win the championship and Purdue loses in the first round

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Don’t get me depressed remembering how disappointing that season was...what should have been.

As long as you can block out the Syracuse game, that team was a pleasure to watch game in and game out.  Even when we didn't play 'well', we were still fun to watch.  Much different from this year's team.  

50 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

For those that can't find anything positive to say about Purdue.  Which of these scenarios would you choose?  I'm asking in all seriousness.

Scenario #1:  IU and Purdue are both 19-1 in conference.

Scenario #2:  IU is 12-8 in conference.  Purdue is 0-20.  

I'd take both being 19-1.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I want IU to be 19-1 and win the championship and Purdue loses in the first round

See.  You keep trying to 'find' a way to make us better. 

Would you be happy with a season where IU and Purdue were absolute equals.  19-1 in conference.  27-4 overall in regular season.  Split season series head to head.  Both lost in the semi-finals of the BTT  Both lose in the Final Four.  

Could you be happy with that season, or would it bother you that Purdue was just as good as us.  

See.  You keep trying to 'find' a way to make us better. 

Would you be happy with a season where IU and Purdue were absolute equals.  19-1 in conference.  27-4 overall in regular season.  Split season series head to head.  Both lost in the semi-finals of the BTT  Both lose in the Final Four.  

Could you be happy with that season, or would it bother you that Purdue was just as good as us.  

I want us to be better than Purdue

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As long as you can block out the Syracuse game, that team was a pleasure to watch game in and game out.  Even when we didn't play 'well', we were still fun to watch.  Much different from this year's team.  

The two Wisconsin games were pretty disappointing and I saw the writing on the wall in the Temple game even though we won.

At all costs? 

So, you would rather have the scenario where we are an average 12-8 in conference if it meant Purdue was 0-20 than have a scenario where both teams were 19-1.

I don't get that philosophy.  

No, I picked us going 19-1 and you said nothing about the tournament.  Purdue can do well in the regular season but I want to go farther than them in the tournament.  

At all costs? 

So, you would rather have the scenario where we are an average 12-8 in conference if it meant Purdue was 0-20 than have a scenario where both teams were 19-1.

I don't get that philosophy.  

I don’t care about what Purdue does as long as we are winning games and playing for conference championships and tournament success. Even if Purdue beat us twice if we still ended up at the top of the league that is what would make me happy. Us being mediocre or bad but still better than Purdue means nothing. I just want to be in the run at the end of the year to win something....that said given the current state of the program....heck id take the 12-8 and Purdue 0-20 because that is still better than where we are and have been lately...4 game above 500 in league play...Archie has never been that has he?? 

This thread makes me appreciate being among those who see nothing to envy.  They're good and in good shape. Is what it .is. 

Sports are too cyclical, and so are hires and rosters to view them in absolutes.  

IU has "non-perishable resources" so to speak.  That means something even if the masses lose sight of that and why I always refer to "the masses" as "them a**es" to my offline buddies.

Hell IUFB lost for 100 years and they hit 2 decent hires and all is well.  Just how I see things, and why I don't invest too deeply into permanent tickets for the gloom train.  Just have to flush some years and move on even if it feels like too many of them in too short of a time. 

Even if I can find a lot I would like to see done at a higher level within the compartment of a given season , just remind myself they are all merely compartments.  Nothing more nothing less. 

At the end of each season bad or good my attitude is like that Semisonic song says:  "Closing time . Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."   Some beginnings  start forming in one compartment,  and carry over and that is where it is this year in particular, to me,  

Painter was a joke to this board and Purdue was ready to run him out of town not too too long ago.  Illinois is no different. We were ready to keep Crean forever after the Watshot. Times change...always .but sometimes it is fast sometimes not so much. 

For better or worse staying put on that perspective and screw Purdue....ALWAYS!   And F Illinois since I brought them into this too!

Archived