Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

I think maybe some of what @Stlboiler23 is saying is that sure...your going to have some bad tourney losses. Look at UVA....Duke losing to Lehigh and Mercer...Kansas to Bucknell and N Iowa....MSU to MTSU....NC to Weber St...UCLA to Princeton...and then there are IU's upsets...Cleveland St, Richmond, Pepperdine.....geez it happens to everyone if you make it there. The thing is maybe we need some stability in the program....look past some upsets to play the long game and we will build a program that will also make some deep runs too. To me that has been lacking. That said you can't go for stretches like Crean did those last few years and 4 years like Archie had and survive....even at Purdue.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Transfers... 

Is it possible we already have the stretch 4 we need on our roster with JH or JG?

Yes.  I honestly don't think we need to add one.  Both of those guys have some skills that have not been developed yet.  I think some people are too quick to dismiss our own players.  I'm fairly confident that the new coaching staff will get more out of some guys than the old coaching staff did.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.  I honestly don't think we need to add one.  Both of those guys have some skills that have not been developed yet.  I think some people are too quick to dismiss our own players.  I'm fairly confident that the new coaching staff will get more out of some guys than the old coaching staff did.  

Galloway can guard a lot of 4s, as well.  Maybe not a lot, but some for sure.  

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Transfers... 

Is it possible we already have the stretch 4 we need on our roster with JH or JG?

Agreed!! I'm fully satisfied with this roster moving forward this year. I think you have to bank on Woodson and company developing Hunter and Geronimo into what we need. Both can fill the modern stretch 4. Granted I'd love if Race could step out and shoot like 35% from 3 but I'm ok going with smaller front court if we have bigger backcourt. All 5 guys can rebound. I think you can't promise playing time and you can't worry about recruiting over a kid but those two have a ton of potential (especially in this offense). Given they made a commitment to come here...and stay here...we owe it to them to develop their game. I think you bring in another kid at their position...we would lose one if not both. I'm happy with the team at this point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

So with Bates added, does that give us one more spot for next year now?

We have 12 committed scholarships for this year with Bates and Duncomb coming in...13 for next year with Gunn....that said I'm sure we lose 4 or 5 guys next year but at the moment there isn't an open scholarship. We have to give credit here to Archie....he didn't leave us in a scholarship bind and I thank him for that.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We have 12 committed scholarships for this year with Bates and Duncomb coming in...13 for next year with Gunn....that said I'm sure we lose 4 or 5 guys next year but at the moment there isn't an open scholarship. We have to give credit here to Archie....he didn't leave us in a scholarship bind and I thank him for that.

Pretty sure Race and XJ are both seniors that would have to apply for an extra year. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Pretty sure Race and XJ are both seniors that would have to apply for an extra year. 

I thought everyone gets the extra year last year...it was a free year. Not sure they both come back...along with Trayce, Rob, and Stewart but what makes them any different than any other seniors?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Watching IMG vs Sunrise Christian academy on YouTube right now.  It is a 15 minute version of the game and Bates has looked really good.  IMG had 2 of the top 10 juniors in the country so maybe we can get another player from there

Heard Hunter is following Efton Reid on twitter now lol. So maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I suspect Woodson will like Geronimo the more he sees him in practice.  Geronimo fits exactly what Woodson likes.  I expect him to be in the rotation off the bench.  Hopefully Woodson can unlock more versatility in his game, especially ball handling, free throws shooting, etc.   

• Like 1

• bluegrassIU changed the title to Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.