'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

4 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I keep seeing people reference fife to butler. Is that just because him and Matta were at IU this last year, or is there some other connection I’m not aware of? I’d think fife going to W MI would make more sense since he actually coached with Stephens for several years.

The editor of The Butler Collegian tweeted that Fife was joining Matta at Butler but then said it wasn’t a done deal and pulled the tweet 

With Stephens at WM it’s more likely that Fife returns to MSU than WM

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Kdug said:

I keep seeing people reference fife to butler. Is that just because him and Matta were at IU this last year, or is there some other connection I’m not aware of? I’d think fife going to W MI would make more sense since he actually coached with Stephens for several years.

Posters here and other boards have been trying hard to start rumors about this since Sunday. They're trying to paint a picture that the program is in a state of chaos, that Woodson is insecure, and that Matta and Fife were smart to get away while they could. It's comical, really. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Posters here and other boards have been trying hard to start rumors about this since Sunday. They're trying to paint a picture that the program is in a state of chaos, that Woodson is insecure, and that Matta and Fife were smart to get away while they could. It's comical, really. 

It's such a weird, short term strategy....

What happens when Fife isn't on Matta's staff - does that then mean that Matta looked at an available assistant with a "good" track record that he has a relationship with and said "no thanks" because of the stuff at Indiana?

• Like 2

On 4/4/2022 at 8:41 PM, KoB2011 said:

I’d still take Brooks for a year. 

I'll respectfully disagree. I can't think of any potential IU starters I'd replace with a 6'7" that shoots 23% from distance.

It's probably at least partially Calipari's fault he never developed but he may simply have been overrated from the start.  No bitterness anymore from me.  I can objectively say I have no interest in him based on what I've seen the last three years at pUKe.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'll respectfully disagree. I can't think of any potential IU starters I'd replace with a 6'7" that shoots 23% from distance.

It's probably at least partially Calipari's fault he never developed but he may simply have been overrated from the start.  No bitterness anymore from me.  I can objectively say I have no interest in him based on what I've seen the last three years at pUKe.

I think it is safe to say that KBJ has been a major bust/disappointment.

• Like 3

Not sure where else to put this without starting a new topic...

Bob Bowlsby, Commissioner of the Big 12 conference is resigning/retiring. Not happy or comfortable with the direction college athletics is moving, specifically the transfer portal and NIL. Is certain that the SEC and ESPN colluded to draw away the two marquee programs from the conference.

He saved the conference when Oklahoma and Texas announced they were moving. His conference has won the last two basketball championships. By all accounts he is a good man, good leader. 

The changing of the guard continues. The lack of leadership from Emmert and the NCAA is going to drive out more good people, imo.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not sure where else to put this without starting a new topic...

Bob Bowlsby, Commissioner of the Big 12 conference is resigning/retiring. Not happy or comfortable with the direction college athletics is moving, specifically the transfer portal and NIL. Is certain that the SEC and ESPN colluded to draw away the two marquee programs from the conference.

He saved the conference when Oklahoma and Texas announced they were moving. His conference has won the last two basketball championships. By all accounts he is a good man, good leader. 

The changing of the guard continues. The lack of leadership from Emmert and the NCAA is going to drive out more good people, imo.

I still can't grasp the Texas and Oklahoma moves as 1. a good thing for college sports 2. a good thing for those universities. 

Winning in the B12 is NOT winning in the SEC. Why make it more difficult? How much money does Texas need? 

Transfer portal and NIL are just cringey. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I still can't grasp the Texas and Oklahoma moves as 1. a good thing for college sports 2. a good thing for those universities. 

Winning in the B12 is NOT winning in the SEC. Why make it more difficult? How much money does Texas need? 

Transfer portal and NIL are just cringey. 

It will be interesting to see how Texas and OU fare basketball wise in the SEC.

Just now, rico said:

It will be interesting to see how Texas and OU fare basketball wise in the SEC.

I don't mean this disrespectfully towards you at all.... but... do they even care? Idk. Can't you just get a home and home with Texas, OU and some combo of Alabama/LSU/Georgia? Or even a neutral site. 

What makes the SEC sooo appealing to those two B12 schools? I honestly don't know. Are they going to make THAT much more money per year? Texas has their own flipping network for christ sakes lol 

Anyways, this stuff is stupidly football driven, but I don't see how it benefits their actual football teams? That's where I am.. ya know? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't mean this disrespectfully towards you at all.... but... do they even care? Idk. Can't you just get a home and home with Texas, OU and some combo of Alabama/LSU/Georgia? Or even a neutral site. 

What makes the SEC sooo appealing to those two B12 schools? I honestly don't know. Are they going to make THAT much more money per year? Texas has their own flipping network for christ sakes lol 

Anyways, this stuff is stupidly football driven, but I don't see how it benefits their actual football teams? That's where I am.. ya know? 

Has to be recruiting driven right?  You see SEC and you automatically assume recruiting is better than any other conference.  Only thing i can figure out why.  Or you get the auto higher ranking and benefit because you're an SEC team. 

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Decent discussion from Wentzel and Forde about the the cloud over the Final 4 and no mention of it during broadcast

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kansas-wins-title-while-media-173636578.html

Its because no one really cares about it after the initial media storm.  Everyone knows the NCAA isn't going to actually do anything.  And not one BIG name coach went to jail.  It was all the handlers and assistant coaches who took the fall.  "Look boys, we tackled the corrupted basketball institution, lets not worry about football, its super clean already".  Its all a joke.

When its front and center, we bitch and complain about how its unfair and how they should be punished, then we move on with life and push it to the back of our minds.  Hell i didn't even think about this topic until you posted it, even while watching KU play.

And now with NIL, no one cares.  The NCAA isn't going to do anything.  The Gov't and the NCAA made cheating legal.  Made buying players legal.  All in the name of fairness to the players.  My ass.  They made it legal to continue the cycle without sending people to jail or having to cover up for the big name schools, with big donors and even bigger lobbyist. Does it help the player, yeah it does.  But not to the tune of BILLIONS the NCAA, Universities, Handlers, AAU programs, and gov't officials/lobbyist will make yearly from this.  

Its a complete F'ing joke.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Has to be recruiting driven right?  You see SEC and you automatically assume recruiting is better than any other conference.  Only thing i can figure out why.  Or you get the auto higher ranking and benefit because you're an SEC team. 

I flat out cannot figure it out. 

Texas, currently, will be lucky to be .500 in the SEC. Obviously their ceiling is way higher then that... OU has been a top 5 program in my lifetime, but man... that is in the B12 and with Stoops and Riley. I like their new hire, but still. Idk the whole thing just feels odd. 

Next we will hear about Ohio St going to the SEC lol 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Its because no one really cares about it after the initial media storm.  Everyone knows the NCAA isn't going to actually do anything.  And not one BIG name coach went to jail.  It was all the handlers and assistant coaches who took the fall.  "Look boys, we tackled the corrupted basketball institution, lets not worry about football, its super clean already".  Its all a joke.

When its front and center, we bitch and complain about how its unfair and how they should be punished, then we move on with life and push it to the back of our minds.  Hell i didn't even think about this topic until you posted it, even while watching KU play.

And now with NIL, no one cares.  The NCAA isn't going to do anything.  The Gov't and the NCAA made cheating legal.  Made buying players legal.  All in the name of fairness to the players.  My ass.  They made it legal to continue the cycle without sending people to jail or having to cover up for the big name schools, with big donors and even bigger lobbyist. Does it help the player, yeah it does.  But not to the tune of BILLIONS the NCAA, Universities, Handlers, AAU programs, and gov't officials/lobbyist will make yearly from this.  

Its a complete F'ing joke.

I liked the comment about Self can throw a few bucks on the Books for the guys still in prison

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Decent discussion from Wentzel and Forde about the the cloud over the Final 4 and no mention of it during broadcast

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kansas-wins-title-while-media-173636578.html

They talk about Kansas suing jailed assistant coach for “defrauding “ university in a previous podcast 

selfs a 💩 

• Like 2

Before the tournament started, maybe between Selection Sunday and the start, I heard an interview with Bilas and someone asked him about the investigations. He flat out shut the person down, saying in essence that there was nothing to any of this and to just focus on the games. 

It appears to me that anyone in the mainstream media who wants to take a stance on this stuff is creating career suicide

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Brian Bosworth was waaay ahead of his time...

brian bosworth.jpg

Loved the Boz.  I'd forgotten some stuff about him but his Wiki page has some great stuff:

Bosworth was quoted in Sports Illustrated magazine's 1986 fall football issue as saying that at a summer job at GM's Oklahoma City plant, co-workers taught him how to insert the bolts in hard-to-reach places so they would rattle. He told the magazine, "If you own a Celebrity or Century made in 1985 in Oklahoma City, that car is (messed up) if I had anything to do with it". In addition, he claimed that each bolt carried a note that said: "Aha! You found me!" and said, "I love the thought of people going absolutely crazy, saying "Where is that ... rattle coming from?"' Some of Bosworth's former co-workers who read the story wrote letters to Bosworth and to university officials at the Norman campus.[5] Bosworth reportedly retracted the statement, although he later denied the retraction.

Bosworth signed with a Seahawks team that had failed to reach the playoffs for two seasons (a 10-6 finish in 1986 was only good enough for 3rd in the old AFC West as they lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in head-to-head matchup). He appeared in 12 games in his rookie season, playing well for the most part, but became known more for his outspoken personality and appearance than his actual play on the field. Before the first game of the season, versus the Denver Broncos, Bosworth trash talked Denver quarterback John Elway. At the game, 10,000 Denver fans wore $15 T-shirts reading "What's a Boz Worth? Nothing", but they did not know that Bosworth's company manufactured the shirts.

The shirt in your picture was the one that got Boz booted from the Sooners.  Was a real shame that a bad shoulder injury derailed his NFL career...I have a feeling he would have had some really memorable interviews over his career.😂

Full Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Bosworth

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Didn't see this posted.  Sean East named JuCo player of the year. Shot 41% from 3.  Supposedly his top 6 schools are Kentucky, Oregon, Missouri, Clemson, South Florida and BYU. Will makes his decision in a couple of weeks.

I remember thinking that kid was a pure shooter when he played with Romeo. Good for him.

36 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Didn't see this posted.  Sean East named JuCo player of the year. Shot 41% from 3.  Supposedly his top 6 schools are Kentucky, Oregon, Missouri, Clemson, South Florida and BYU. Will makes his decision in a couple of weeks.

Kentucky chasing JuCo's...that's a new tack...

• Haha 2