Any real ideals

OLDIUFAN

What’s it going to take to turn this program around! We have the facilities we play in the Big Ten. We pay our coach a ridiculous amount of money. Per conference win! What’s it really going to take. 
I might be wrong on some facts here so I’ll apologize now, but Illinois turn it around in what 3 years. Minn, about the same. Cinn, kanas, couple years. Kentucky, Scoops had them playing fun football in two years seems to be getting better every year. 
So IU 6 years of Tom Allen and we are still at the bottom tier of the Big Ten. With nothing looking up. 
We have a offensive line with no attitude. A defense that lets a team that can only run the ball in the 4th quarter run for two touchdowns. 3rd an 9 and we let them run for what 30 yards! 
A QB we’ll do I even call him a QB. And what do we have for next year in that spot. What QB in his right mine would Transfer here ! 

3 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Well I think we need to be looking. If we can’t or won’t buy out Tom Allen then we should use this time to pen point the very best coach we can. Maybe DeBoer someone who has rebuilt programs! 

I highly doubt that DeBoer would leave Washington for IU.  But yeah, we need someone of his ilk.

Getting out of the Big Ten East would help.  I thought I heard that the Big Ten is going to be moving away from the divisions soon.  If that is the case, Dolson needs to put his foot down about scheduling and the former West teams can catch up on playing the OSU, UM, PSU, and MSUs of the world.  Not having 1/3 of your schedule be an almost guaranteed loss every year would help.

We need to spens the money too but our schedule is just killer.  Even this year Illinois, Purdue, and Nebraska are currently 1, 2, 3 in the West.  We have to have one of the toughest, if not the toughest schedule in the conference this year.  That is a regular occurence.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Well I think we need to be looking. If we can’t or won’t buy out Tom Allen then we should use this time to pen point the very best coach we can. Maybe DeBoer someone who has rebuilt programs! 

Not happening. He’s not taking a step down to come to IU. 

5 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

What’s it going to take to turn this program around! We have the facilities we play in the Big Ten. We pay our coach a ridiculous amount of money. Per conference win! What’s it really going to take. 
I might be wrong on some facts here so I’ll apologize now, but Illinois turn it around in what 3 years. Minn, about the same. Cinn, kanas, couple years. Kentucky, Scoops had them playing fun football in two years seems to be getting better every year. 
So IU 6 years of Tom Allen and we are still at the bottom tier of the Big Ten. With nothing looking up. 
We have a offensive line with no attitude. A defense that lets a team that can only run the ball in the 4th quarter run for two touchdowns. 3rd an 9 and we let them run for what 30 yards! 
A QB we’ll do I even call him a QB. And what do we have for next year in that spot. What QB in his right mine would Transfer here ! 

We have been discussing this for 50 years and no one can figure it out.

The problem we have is that it takes talent to win but you have to win to get talent.  Right now we don't do enough of both of them and it is hard to get out of this cycle. To me the first thing we have to do is to keep the very best in state players every year. Guys like Curry from last year needs to stay home instead of going to OSU. I can't blame them for going else where because they can play in front of over 100,000 instead of half of that.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The problem we have is that it takes talent to win but you have to win to get talent.  Right now we don't do enough of both of them and it is hard to get out of this cycle. To me the first thing we have to do is to keep the very best in state players every year. Guys like Curry from last year needs to stay home instead of going to OSU. I can't blame them for going else where because they can play in front of over 100,000 instead of half of that.

I agree that is a big part of our problem! So how do you get them to come to Indiana. It’s going to take a coach they feel can get them to the NFL. I think the coaches need to decide what kind of team are we going to be. Smash month or air it out. Then they have got to find the talent to play their style! 

To me, it has to start with both lines. No decent skill position player would want to play behind the offensive line we have had the past two years. Coach Wilson at least understood that. To me, building an offense has to start there. The same with the defense. Our secondary has way too much pressure put on them to make plays after the line loses containment. As long as our line play remains the same, it's going to be rinse and repeat year after year.

• Like 3

For starters. I am not a CTA sympathizer. With that being said. I don't feel the Coach is the problem. we have some decent players, but they are just that decent. With all the injuries the last two years, it shows us we don't have enough good players. I actually think Allen is getting the most out of these guys. Mullen is not the same player he was before his injury. He maybe at some point, but that's not now. our line play is not good on either side of the ball and yet we have been competitive in most all games we have played and played Michigan better than PS did. Yes, we gave that game away yesterday. I just think the coaches and players are pressing a bit much right now. Go play hard and have fun. Remember when we were coming from behind and winning games early on and all you saw from the press was negative press. Remember this one from the star. "IU can't keep winning games like this" Purdue has won almost all of their games that way. Yet no negative articles? The big ten will not do us any favors with the schedule. That has to be changed no matter who the coach is. My hope is we can get all our better players healthy and win three more? But we must hold the players accountable as well as the coaches. 

• Like 1

I know a bowl berth is stilly theoretically possible. Realistically, that ship has sailed. If we don't win more games this season, that's going to look really bad for CTA regardless. How does a coach survive that? I get it's unlikely he's let go given the now absurd-looking deal we gave him. But two straight years of reasonable to high expectations to go totally belly up? How does he (and the program) regroup and come back from that? 

At least I got to see a historically significant season of IU football in 2020. That will always stick with me. COVID year, no fans, don't care. Did a lot of things in the course of one season I may never see again. Sucks we got screwed out of a better bowl game but whatever. 

If they get rid of these bullcrap divisions and we can get a more balanced conference schedule that would do wonders imo. I mean yeah, OL play needs to get back to an acceptable level too and all that. 

• Like 3

On 10/16/2022 at 7:36 AM, rico said:

Go get Jason Candle of Toledo and have him bring his QB with him.

In the unlikely event that should happen, I can see this Board now two or three games into Candle’s tenure here:  “Dolson should have known he was Archie Miller 2.0.  Winning in the MAC doesn’t mean you can win at this level.  Everybody wins at Toledo!”  Lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

In the unlikely event that should happen, I can see this Board now two or three games into Candle’s tenure here:  “Dolson should have known he was Archie Miller 2.0.  Winning in the MAC doesn’t mean you can win at this level.  Everybody wins at Toledo!”  Lol.

Candle's response to an IU offer?  "Thanks, but no thanks."

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Candle's response to an IU offer?  "Thanks, but no thanks."

Ahhh, Rico...you seem to be playing both sides of the fence.  First, you say go get this guy...second, by the way, when you offer him the answer is no.  No fair!!  So what's poor old IU suppose to do??   😂😁

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Haha 1

On 10/16/2022 at 6:56 PM, jojo123 said:

For starters. I am not a CTA sympathizer. With that being said. I don't feel the Coach is the problem. we have some decent players, but they are just that decent. With all the injuries the last two years, it shows us we don't have enough good players. I actually think Allen is getting the most out of these guys. Mullen is not the same player he was before his injury. He maybe at some point, but that's not now. our line play is not good on either side of the ball and yet we have been competitive in most all games we have played and played Michigan better than PS did. Yes, we gave that game away yesterday. I just think the coaches and players are pressing a bit much right now. Go play hard and have fun. Remember when we were coming from behind and winning games early on and all you saw from the press was negative press. Remember this one from the star. "IU can't keep winning games like this" Purdue has won almost all of their games that way. Yet no negative articles? The big ten will not do us any favors with the schedule. That has to be changed no matter who the coach is. My hope is we can get all our better players healthy and win three more? But we must hold the players accountable as well as the coaches. 

I agree. Look at our schedule including quality/strength of teams in the East compared to teams in the West....It's not even close.... It's actually comical. We could very easily be 5-2 right now and looking much different. I'm including Nebraska and Maryland as "should have won" games. I put the majority of fault/blame on player error and offensive line issues. I also agree with the OL coaching change. Now we sit at 3-4 with 5 games left, including Ohio St., Penn St. and 3 games that could keep our bowl hopes alive.