Plantar fasciitis

I blew my Achilles (while playing indoor volleyball), had been playing for about 30 minutes, and all I did was step forward quickly and POP. Sounded like rubber bands snapping, felt like someone kicked me in the calf, not major pain at first then a burning feel in my heel. And it didn't flex very well obviously.  The image of RP walking then grabbing at his shoe brought me right back to it! ouch!  I was convinced Wed that it had to be his achilles.  I sure do hope it's less than that! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Apparently Rob P. And Lander both have this. Maybe they need a NIL deal on some plantar shoe inserts. 

He had a calf injury, which is related to this. So it's not surprising. Glad it's nothing worse. Cliff's gotta stretch these guys out better :) 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm no doctor, but watching the whole situation play out with Rob the other night, I just can't come away with that being PF.  Could the team be downplaying a strained Achilles?  Certainly doesn't sound like it is torn, or we would have been told.  But, based on what my eyes saw the other night, I have an easier time believing Achilles strain than I do PF.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm no doctor, but watching the whole situation play out with Rob the other night, I just can't come away with that being PF.  Could the team be downplaying a strained Achilles?  Certainly doesn't sound like it is torn, or we would have been told.  But, based on what my eyes saw the other night, I have an easier time believing Achilles strain than I do PF.

PF can flare up at any point though. Like it doesn't have to be some fall or twist that makes it flare up. He could literally just be walking to class and it start to hurt. 

He could also tear fibers in his foot/hurt his Achilles, yes. 

Just mentioning.. you aren't really going to "see" a PF injury, for the most part.

That was coming from my wife who's worked as an AT for a decade. Now, obviously she isn't in the training room to see Rob specifically, but she was watching the game and when I told her told it was PF, her reply was "yeah, that makes sense." 

🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

I blew my Achilles (while playing indoor volleyball), had been playing for about 30 minutes, and all I did was step forward quickly and POP. Sounded like rubber bands snapping, felt like someone kicked me in the calf, not major pain at first then a burning feel in my heel. And it didn't flex very well obviously.  The image of RP walking then grabbing at his shoe brought me right back to it! ouch!  I was convinced Wed that it had to be his achilles.  I sure do hope it's less than that! 

Yep I thought the same thing especially where he was grabbing st when they were asking him what was wrong.

49 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I definitely don’t disagree.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

PF can flare up at any point though. Like it doesn't have to be some fall or twist that makes it flare up. He could literally just be walking to class and it start to hurt. 

He could also tear fibers in his foot/hurt his Achilles, yes. 

Just mentioning.. you aren't really going to "see" a PF injury, for the most part.

That was coming from my wife who's worked as an AT for a decade. Now, obviously she isn't in the training room to see Rob specifically, but she was watching the game and when I told her told it was PF, her reply was "yeah, that makes sense." 

🤷‍♂️

I'd say it happened flexing and pushing off with his foot to jump more than landing...and I've had PF...like I'm sure most others on here. There are varying degrees of the injury and he could have done anything from aggrivate it to like you said tear fibers. I'm not optimistic though...that is an injury based on how he had to be helped off the floor that could take a month or more to heal...I'm not counting on having him back soon as serious as it looked.

I read one site that said athletes can potentially recover in 3-5 weeks if they start treatment immediately. They tend to have a faster recovery. Regular people (weekend warriors) may take several months to recover without surgery. I wouldn't expect Rob to be able to be his usual self on the court any time soon due to the nature of the game. The fact Lander has the same issue seems beyond coincidence and very unfortunate for IU. It's time for others to grow up and pick up the slack.

23 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

I read one site that said athletes can potentially recover in 3-5 weeks if they start treatment immediately. They tend to have a faster recovery. Regular people (weekend warriors) may take several months to recover without surgery. I wouldn't expect Rob to be able to be his usual self on the court any time soon due to the nature of the game. The fact Lander has the same issue seems beyond coincidence and very unfortunate for IU. It's time for others to grow up and pick up the slack.

I agree. Galloway slides to point and Leal back into his spot. IMO Leal was playing great then couldn’t hit a three and lost some confidence. If anyone can get it back I believe in Woody. I think once the game truly slows down for Leal then he’s going to be a 40-45% three point shooter. He’s so likeable and I hope my son works half as hard as him.

18 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

The good thing is that PF is typically associated with runners and Indiana has a great XC and Track program. I would imagine PTs from those specialties would be helping as well. 

Yeah no doubt he is in good hands. I just hope he can recover and play a role heading into the end of the season

4 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’ve seen a torn Achilles many times and after watching the video there is no bulge or knot below Robs calf.  PF can’t definitely lead to Achilles strains plus it can be very painful in itself.  Hopefully some rest and stretching fixes his issues

I appreciate the knowledge on this. Good to know!