Illinois Post game thread

ButlerHoosier

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

One poster said the talent gap was wide which was what I was responding to.

The talent gap is wide. Illinois is final 4 talented. We are not.

We played well to get a lead. But over 40 minutes, they are going to beat us more times than not.

That is not critical of the players or coaching. Illinois is very good and substantially more talented than us right now.

We are still a good team. They are just really good when they play to their potential.

• Like 5

Just now, 5fouls said:

Probably the most disappointed I've been all season.  

I was more disappointed with the UM game because we never completed in that game. Also UI is so much better than UM.  I was pleased with effort in the first half and thought we came out to win the game.  Second half was very disappointing but I am not going to lose hope for the rest of the season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

We played well to get a lead. But over 40, they are going to beat us more times than not.

That is not critical of the players or coaching. Illinois is very good and substantially more talented than us right now.

We are still a good team. They are just really good when they play to their potential.

They are more talented but didn't see people staying that until we lost the leaf in the second half.

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

We played well to get a lead. But over 40, they are going to beat us more times than not.

True.  There's a reason UI was a pre-season top 15 team and we were pegged to finish in the middle of the b10.  They're living up to expectations and we're (thus far) exceeding them but the gap is significant.

7 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I guess on the plus side, it’s blatantly clear that TJD can’t handle NBA bigs, so maybe we get another year? 

Woodson just said on his post game interview with Don, “That’s what a 5th year, seasoned veteran can do for a team. Unless Trayce becomes a monster from here on out and dominates his position…..he’s not ready for the NBA next year. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

+21 for them from 3. Interesting stat!

It is still THE thing that separates us from being a middling good team from a true conference contender.  There is not one guy on this team who you can count on to regularly get you that shot.  Stewart has a nice percentage but he is low volume and doesn't seem to hit them when needed.  We are up 4 and give up 2 3 pointers about a quarter of the way through the second half and we never recovered.  The college game is all about the 3 ball and we have not done that well for several years, which is why we have the tournament drought.

Freaking Indiana and we can't find shooters.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

Woodson just said on his post game interview with Don, “That’s what a 5th year, seasoned veteran can do for a team. Unless Trayce becomes a monster from here on out and dominates his position…..he’s not ready for the NBA next year. 

I mean, CMW isn't wrong. I really like TJD, and think he is a great college player, but I just can't see him playing in the NBA next year.

Having said that, if he does turn pro...I hope I am wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Before this game, I wasn't buying Illinois as a Big Ten title contender. After this game, I've changed my stance. Not 100% convinced they win it, but they're very much capable. 

It irritates me how they were worse than us in Underwood's first two seasons but have blown past us since. 

Archie is the gift that has kept on giving.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I mean, CMW isn't wrong. I really like TJD, and think he is a great college player, but I just can't see him playing in the NBA next year.

Having said that, if he does turn pro...I hope I am wrong.

Well if you see who is playing for the Pacers right now anything is possible. The Pacers started a rookie 6'5 center last night and he is from Austin Peay

Edited by IU Scott

IU survived the first half and had a chance. It fell apart second half because they had no perimeter offense and tried to power thru Kofi. Then the defense collapsed. 

Continued inability to get Parker or Kopp open looks makes them virtually useless. Bates still does not understand a good shot from a bad shot. 

Seems obvious but if Kofi won't leave the paint to come out and guard TJD why not use TJD to set a pick for Kopp or Parker? Instead he would set a screen for X and both would dive toward Kofi.

IU played LSU and Shaq in the tourney under RMK. They forced him to come out and guard someone. IU didn't have anyone who could fight him inside but they had shooters. Today's Hoosiers dont have shooters you can count on and I'm not sure they have coaches who understand how to get shooters open looks because they haven't shown it so far.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well if you see who is playing for the Pacers right now anything is possible. The Pacers started a rookie 6'5 center last night and he is from Austin Peay

Yeah...and the Pacers stink...

TJD has to develop a shot for any kind of prolonged NBA career.  He would need to be a 4.

• Like 2