Michigan State Post Game Thread

KDB

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I did notice that the refs seemed to start evening up the ticky tack foul calls on the perimeter, but it was too late at that point. The early calls forced us to bench players and altered our lineups. 

Right… their PG should have been tossed before that and XJ picked up weak fouls that took him out before that. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Squarely on the bubble. 

Actually, IMO, I think we're in the 1st four in group at this point, and currently out. I suspect we'll lose to Wisky because they are tougher than we are, a lot like MSU, and we'll lose to Rutgers because they hustle a helluva lot more than we do. If true, the rest is academic. We're out unless we make a deep run, or heaven forbid, win the BIG tourney

• Confused 1

ESPN gives us a 60% chance to win the Wisconsin game right now.  That does make me feel better.  I agree that if we win this one, we'll get in and have a good chance to finish 6th or 7th in conference.  On the flip side, it seems hard to be confident about winning Tues even with it being at home.  If we do lose it, we would be at a 4 game losing streak heading into the game at OSU.  If we get to a 5 game losing streak, how is our confidence/mentality going into the home stretch knowing we still have @ Purdue, home against a surging Rutgers team, and playing at a tough venue in MN?  Iowa has 3 more "should wins" left.  Michigan has a rough road ahead.  Rutgers has a rough road ahead.  OSU has a favorable schedule.  So, yeah, Tuesday just seems huge to me.  

17 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

The point was to influence the refs, not the players.

Yes, but I'm not sure getting a few more calls in a game we lost by 15 matters...

The fact remains that in a game where the object is to score more points than that opponent, you don't just give points away...

You may want to win the battle, but I'm a Herm Edwards guy...I want to win the game...

Winning the war of words isn't in the equation to an NCAA berth as far as I know...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This where I stand with IU going into next year. If we make the NIT I hope Woody only plays guys he thinks will be back during it.

Bates, Galloway and Geronimo hopefully take that next step. I hope Race stays one more year. 

If somehow TJD stays I would have him shoot 500 times with his right hand a day. 

Xavier Bates Galloway Geronimo Race is still a top tier big ten team if TJD leaves. If Trayce comes back though I think Woodson goes Upperclass heavy.

Xavier Bates Galloway Race TJD

with JHS, Geronimo first off the bench. If Kopp and Stewart return I see only 10-15 minutes a game for them. Maybe they take it… Maybe not and leave. 

Edited by Cbp4IU

13 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

If somehow TJD stays I would have him shoot 500 times with his right hand a day. 

What he needs to do is what Larry Bird did. For one entire summer, he tied is right hand behind his back and played and practiced left handed (his off hand).

During a play off game, Bird played the entire 2nd half LEFT handed. Scored something like 15-20 points in that half.

That is what commitment is about.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, DC2345 said:

One has nothing to do with the other. The strength and conditioning takes place when they can’t do on court stuff since they have limited time especially in the off season. I didn’t understand them bringing those pictures up for this game since those pictures were from 4 and 2 years ago. 

I wouldn’t necessarily agree with this.  Vic used to toss up thousands of shots a day to improve his game while at IU.  If they are spending tons of time lifting it does make one wonder how much time they are spending on the court improving their game.  You don’t need time with a coach to improve your basketball game.  All these guys should be shooting thousands of times a day in and out of season.

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'll try to take the optimistic angle this morning... in my best Cubs fan mentality... wait til next year.  i could still see Bates being very good.  JHS should come in about as ready as any top freshman.  Galloway and Geronimo another year experienced.  maybe Durr will be better?  hopefully Race is back.  feel pretty confident Woodson can get help from the transfer portal.  if X is back as well?  

Galloway has got to learn to shoot the ball and score.  He is dynamic and a motor guy but he needs to average 10+ if he is going to be a starter.

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Galloway has got to learn to shoot the ball and score.  He is dynamic and a motor guy but he needs to average 10+ if he is going to be a starter.

I was shocked at how poorly he shot the ball.  
watch him pull a Cuonzo Martin and make 100 3’s next year 

22 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

That kid looks like he’s in pain when he shoots. He has that nice floater he uses on drives, but his jump shot form reminds me of Barkley’s golf swing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, but I'm not sure getting a few more calls in a game we lost by 15 matters...

The fact remains that in a game where the object is to score more points than that opponent, you don't just give points away...

You may want to win the battle, but I'm a Herm Edwards guy...I want to win the game...

Winning the war of words isn't in the equation to an NCAA berth as far as I know...

Then losing 2 points because of a tech doesn't matter either. 

Winning the war of words didn't seem to be a problem for Michigan St.  They were engaging in it more then IU was and didn't seem to have a problem. 

Guys are going to talk, it's part of the game. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Then losing 2 points because of a tech doesn't matter either. 

Winning the war of words didn't seem to be a problem for Michigan St.  They were engaging in it more then IU was and didn't seem to have a problem. 

Guys are going to talk, it's part of the game. 

In a 15 point game, probably not, but in a closer game it sure would...How would the Northwestern game have turned out without Walker's tech and 2 F1s by Galloway?

But my point was was more about doing it in front pf a hostile crowd, fueling their players, and momentum...particularly on the road...

Both Illinois and Michigan State backed their talk up...we didn't...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

agreed for sure.  people were quick to get excited about him last year, then when we and everyone else learned he couldn't shoot, we saw his time go down and his effectiveness as well.  we are all excited about him again, but he still can't shoot.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In a 15 point game, probably not, but in a closer game it sure would...How would the Northwestern game have turned out without Walker's tech and 2 F1s by Galloway?

But my point was was more about doing it in front pf a hostile crowd, fueling their players, and momentum...particularly on the road...

Both Illinois and Michigan State backed their talk up...we didn't...

I think it comes back to that the trash talk doesn't really matter or Woodson getting a tech doesn't really matter. 

For MSU (at home) and Illinois (on the road in a hostile environment) it didn't matter for them. So we're saying it's only negative for IU?

At the end of the day I think Illinois is just better and IU needs to play and execute better. It doesn't really have anything to do with trash talking or getting one tech. 

Agree on Galloway's flagrants though, those were just dumb plays and I consider those different then engaging in trash talk or a coach getting a T. 

The bigger issue yesterday was when MSU got the clear path foul Stewart missed both free throws and then we didn't score on the ensuing possession. When Woodson got a T, MSU made both free throws. 

Execution killed us, not engaging in some trash talk. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think it comes back to that the trash talk doesn't really matter or Woodson getting a tech doesn't really matter. 

For MSU (at home) and Illinois (on the road in a hostile environment) it didn't matter for them. So we're saying it's only negative for IU?

At the end of the day I think Illinois is just better and IU needs to play and execute better. It doesn't really have anything to do with trash talking or getting one tech. 

Agree on Galloway's flagrants though, those were just dumb plays and I consider those different then engaging in trash talk or a coach getting a T. 

The bigger issue yesterday was when MSU got the clear path foul Stewart missed both free throws and then we didn't score on the ensuing possession. When Woodson got a T, MSU made both free throws. 

Execution killed us, not engaging in some trash talk. 

Again, it's about momentum...I guess you don't believe in the concept?

If not, we can simply agree to disagree...

13 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

agreed for sure.  people were quick to get excited about him last year, then when we and everyone else learned he couldn't shoot, we saw his time go down and his effectiveness as well.  we are all excited about him again, but he still can't shoot.  

I saw him play quite a bit in HS.  He rarely shot from 15 ft. and out.  Slasher/driver going to the hole was what I saw a lot of.  

• Like 2

I think a few on here need to take a deep breath and relax. IU lost a game yesterday that most on here probably were  not expecting to win. Granted IU did not play very well, but I didn't see too many on here predicting a win. The sky isn't falling yet.

The Northwestern game hurt. It is a game we win most likely if not for the selfishness of 5 individuals, who thought of themselves instead of the team. If IU plays a full roster and wins that game, I doubt many are too worried about the chances of making the tourney or even that discouraged with the team/season. However, with a win against Wisconsin on Tuesday, there is no doubt IU would be solidly in the tourney at that point. They still control their own destiny. Four of the next six are very winnable games.

Yes, there are no guarantees they win 4 of 6, and the offense is a concern, but let's see how things play out before declaring this season over.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Again, it's about momentum...I guess you don't believe in the concept?

If not, we can simply agree to disagree...

Yeah, I believe in momentum, I just don't agree with your point here. 

How many times have we seen a coach get a technical and it galvanizes their team to go on a big run?

MSU and Illinois engaged in just as much trash talk as IU did, if not more. Both games came down to execution and making open shots, had nothing to do with trash talking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It was a 4 point game that went to 8 after the T. Still almost 15 mins left, 14 and change when it happened. There was still time to pull it out, we didnt respond.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I believe in momentum, I just don't agree with your point here. 

How many times have we seen a coach get a technical and it galvanizes their team to go on a big run?

MSU and Illinois engaged in just as much trash talk as IU did, if not more. Both games came down to execution and making open shots, had nothing to do with trash talking. 

As to your first point, I've seen it happen... McCaffery did it against us this year...but he was in front of the home crowd...

And Coach Woodson's tech didn't send us on any kind of run...we got within 3 once and lost by 15...

I didn't notice us doing much talking vs Ohio State or Purdue...or Maryland for that matter...we focused on the matter at hand...

And I think we're better off that way...

You said in another thread it's more about the Jimmy's and Joe's, and I agree with that..

But this team doesn't have them, and their margin to win against good teams is very small...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As to your first point, I've seen it happen... McCaffery did it against us this year...but he was in front of the home crowd...

And Coach Woodson's tech didn't send us on any kind of run...we got within 3 once and lost by 15...

I didn't notice us doing much talking vs Ohio State or Purdue...or Maryland for that matter...we focused on the matter at hand...

And I think we're better off that way...

You said in another thread it's more about the Jimmy's and Joe's, and I agree with that..

But this team doesn't have them, and their margin to win against good teams is very small...

But the tech had nothing to do with the loss. The trash talking, which MSU did much more of, had nothing to do with the loss.

After Woodson's tech we were able to get it back down to 3 and we simply didn't execute. 

At the end of the day, we need to execute. We missed free throws, they didn't, we missed open shots, they made key 3's, the offense was stagnant, we gave up offensive rebounds in key spots, etc., etc.

The tech and trash talking were insignificant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

ESPN gives us a 60% chance to win the Wisconsin game right now.  That does make me feel better.  I agree that if we win this one, we'll get in and have a good chance to finish 6th or 7th in conference.  On the flip side, it seems hard to be confident about winning Tues even with it being at home.  If we do lose it, we would be at a 4 game losing streak heading into the game at OSU.  If we get to a 5 game losing streak, how is our confidence/mentality going into the home stretch knowing we still have @ Purdue, home against a surging Rutgers team, and playing at a tough venue in MN?  Iowa has 3 more "should wins" left.  Michigan has a rough road ahead.  Rutgers has a rough road ahead.  OSU has a favorable schedule.  So, yeah, Tuesday just seems huge to me.  

I think Wisconsin is a very solid team with overachieving bigs, a top tier #1 option and solid perimeter role players. They are going to have one out of 4 games that they are very beatable and I'm not sure its a match-up thing as much as its a team mentality thing. On occasion they just don't show up. We have had our shot and I believe Rutgers just caught that 1 outta 4 moment. Wisconsin won't fade or fall apart. 

I'm going to be in the minority when I say this but I'm not expecting our coaching to have that magic turnaround adjustment. We won't look back at this part of the season and see 'the thing' that CMW did that fixed our situation. Rob will be back at some point soon I hope and give us a PG off the bench and our best line-up. 

I'd like to see Galloway, Bates, XJ, Race and Trayce with a short bench of a healthy Rob, Kopp and Geronimo and see if we can't .500 the rest of the way and steal 2 games out of the conference tourney. That would get us firmly in the big dance and win a game and call that a successful 1st year for CMW. 

If coming back this year to expand his game to be a first rounder, he might wanna come back again.