Wisconsin Post Game

5fouls

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Agree to disagree on close, but I do think you're right on those 4. BUT.. 

Franklin+Durham > XJ and whoever #2 is on that list 

No doubt-- whoever #3 is + Durr > Hunter and Brunk. 100% agree.  

But, those are role player postions for our roster. If could just flip flop MK/PS one of them, for AF/AD.. yeah, we'd be in a better spot. 

XJ, TJD, Franklin, and RT playing 32mpg sounds significantly better then what we have seen. Right? 

Idk, this roster was never perfect. Franklin was a blow. 

Franklin was a blow, no doubt about it. But if we're looking for a shooter, he's only 25% from 3 this year. I think XJ is the better player overall. I do think he'd have a place on this team though, especially with Rob out. That said, we also need to remember that when comparing results and talent level (this year vs. last year), Armaan was out for the last third of the season. Brunk didn't play at all. 

But if we're strictly comparing the talent level of last year's roster vs. this years, I still think the current team is way more talented and is a more complete team. Especially when you factor in the development of Race, TJD and Gallo and the addition of Bates. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

To me this all begs the question, should TJD have been more selfish and tried to battle through the scrum in the lane trying to get a shot off and/or hoping for a foul call? The refs seemed to let a lot go on the inside, but his kicking it out to open...uh,..."shooters" didn't do us a lot of good...

To his credit, in his post game, Trayce said the kick out to XJ he'd do every time because he believed in him...

Honestly, one of our biggest problems is that Parker, while a great three point shooter, is no threat to take the ball inside. Honestly, the only guard we have who is used to taking contact in the awful manner which is the BIG TEN is Rob. XJ, Stewart and Galloway aren't seasoned in B1G BS. 
If our guards and wings could get to the line at a better rate I feel this could open things up more for TJD and Race. Part of kicking the ball out to a competent three point shooter is knowing they can fake and or if the defense closes too quick they will move inside. I don't think it's simply that our guards and wings can't shoot but it's that they don't draw a lot fouls when they get inside. 

Regarding the end of the game I think TJD made the right call but if he had been fouled the clocked would have stopped allowing for the potential of two free throws and setting up a press potentially. 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

But if we're strictly comparing the talent level of last year's roster vs. this years, I still think the current team is way more talented and is a more complete team. Especially when you factor in the development of Race, TJD and Gallo and the addition of Bates. 

Pretty sure last year's team would have lost by almost 20 last night. IMO

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Franklin was a blow, no doubt about it. But if we're looking for a shooter, he's only 25% from 3 this year. I think XJ is the better player overall. I do think he'd have a place on this team though, especially with Rob out. That said, we also need to remember that when comparing results and talent level (this year vs. last year), Armaan was out for the last third of the season. Brunk didn't play at all. 

You gotta have the top guys first. "Depth" or do we just have interchangeable parts? 

Shooting % has been bad, yes. He is also an elite defender. Parker/MK are average, he's elite. 

We would be better by a fair amount with Franklin. 

Thats 4 VERY good defenders playing 70% of your mins. If Rob is your 5th guy in at some points.. thats FIVE. 

It's annoying how close we are. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Franklin was a blow, no doubt about it. But if we're looking for a shooter, he's only 25% from 3 this year.

He was a 42% 3 point shooter for us last year...Plus he had a pretty fair mid range game...I don't think we saw the full Armaan after the ankle injury...I also believe he was a pretty good defender...As good or better than Stewart....

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If Rob is your 5th guy in at some points.. thats FIVE. 

We win this game with Rob and probably the NW game too. There's no way Davis puts up 30 and or Davison with 21. Additionally, the foul differential is reduced cause Rob gets less calls and also is good at getting fouled when driving the ball.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You gotta have the top guys first. "Depth" or do we just have interchangeable parts? 

Shooting % has been bad, yes. He is also an elite defender. Parker/MK are average, he's elite. 

We would be better by a fair amount with Franklin. 

Thats 4 VERY good defenders playing 70% of your mins. If Rob is your 5th guy in at some points.. thats FIVE. 

In the 9 losses we have been on the lead in the second half a some very late in the game.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well it depends if Woody rotates his subs in or does a mass substitution. I think this team could have depth, but we don't use it to our advantage with the sub patterns. 

Anyhoo, we're going off on tangents. The question I was originally asking is simple: Do you think this roster is more talented than last years?

Conclusion: If your answer is yes, then I think it's fair to consider this season an underachievement if we have similar results as last year. (i.e. don't make the tournament, finish in 8th place, etc.)

If you're answer is no, then i think you're smoking crack. JK. 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Well it depends if Woody rotates his subs in or does a mass substitution. I think this team could have depth, but we don't use it to our advantage with the sub patterns. 

Anyhoo, we're going off on tangents. The question I was originally asking is simple: Do you think this roster is more talented than last years?

Conclusion: If your answer is yes, then I think it's fair to consider this season an underachievement if we have similar results as last year. (i.e. don't make the tournament, finish in 8th place, etc.)

Relevant talent? Like making a BIG difference talent? I see us lacking at two positions that you cant lack at in major college basketball (wings). 

We are a 16-9 bubble team. I wasnt sure early on, but we've seen 25 games. I think we are playing to exactly where we should be right now. 

I see an excellent defensive scheme. We have played some very good offenses, at least KenPom wise. And dudes that can't get buckets multiple ways. 

We do have another great opportunity Monday. Honestly though, outside of Franklin I haven't thought about last season at all. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How do you know that with any degree of certainty? 

According to this article, he was "wait and see"  after the firing, but no clue as to what he would have done if CAM had been retained 

I know it to the same degree people know recruits are coming/not coming here, and whether we will suck next year, in two years, or every year until we hire Brad Stevens with Chris Beard as his top assistant.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think we all saw Parker Stewart's big numbers in a minor conference and got excited; it's understandable, but that dude is not as good as Al or Armaan. He's a better shooter, but they're both better playmakers and better scorers.

You said we got excited because he put big numbers in a minor conference.

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I see an excellent defensive scheme.

This is by far the biggest positive to me, and not just with rotations and team defense, but the individual defense just seems to be much better with respect to technique. That's why I feel pretty good going forward - if you can get guys to buy into the defensive mindset/scheme, that's more than half the battle, IMO. Plus, if you struggle to score, it's certainly helpful to make it equally difficult for the other team to do so.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yup, that's what I said. Then you came back and showed how he didn't put up big numbers in a major conference.

10 PPG on a terrible team is not big numbers. 

Pretty good for a freshman on the ACC.  Also would have to think those numbers are good for a player that wasn't highly ranked.  Also would have to how much playing he played yo put those numbers at

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Short answer.  No, i don't think we're really a better team on average.  We have a higher ceiling when the stars align, but overall we're about the same team.  Still can't shoot.  Still can't win on the road.  Still can't finish a game.  Still can't play a full 40 minutes.  Still can't shoot free throws.  Same issue with substitutions, just a different pattern.  No depth on the bench.  Same lack of leadership.

I feel like we turn the ball over less than the last 4 years.  So that feels better.
Much better on defense.  The style and play fits the players we have.  Although, the floor is still lower than it should be.  Sometimes we don't show up.

I currently have more faith in this coaching staff than i did with CAM at the end.  Although, i am not as confident as i was when the season started.  Not seeing the "wow" he can really coach players up like i had hoped. Or man, his in game adjustments are game changing.  I don't really like the mantra that is already starting to happen.  He needs his players.  He needs 3 years.  These are CAM's players.  We have talent coming in with the next recruiting class.  This is sounding exactly like the last 4 years.  No, its not fair to judge this book by the 1 year cover.  But i honestly expected more by the end of the season.  I expected better shooting.  Better line-ups and substitution patterns.  I expected better in bound plays and an offense that slowly adjusts to the players and style by the end of the season (Not completely different offense but more better plays).  I expected players to get better and not make the same mistakes each game. 

We will see what next year brings and if things change with new blood from the portal and recruiting.

• Like 2