Wisconsin Post Game

5fouls

The whole night just left a bad taste in my mouth, from Tyra Buss wearing Wisconsin gear (call me old school, but that just seemed unnecessarily disrespectful) to Davis trash talking at the end of the game to Davison doing his usual cheap nonsense to all of the frustrations in between with the lack of execution to the bad calls and on and on. Five days until OSU is going to be a long time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

The whole night just left a bad taste in my mouth, from Tyra Buss wearing Wisconsin gear (call me old school, but that just seemed unnecessarily disrespectful) to Davis trash talking at the end of the game to Davison doing his usual cheap nonsense to all of the frustrations in between with the lack of execution to the bad calls and on and on. Five days until OSU is going to be a long time.

5 days until the next game will give this board enough time to figure this mess out.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I have to believe that Coach Woodson and his staff are acutely aware of our lack of shooting ability.

I totally believe that:

1.  Woodson knows what type of players and roster he nneds to play the way he desires.

2. The current roster isn't capable of it in terms of individual skills and overall composition.

The big question is how, and how fast, he can get there.

JMHO but probably half the current roster are players that will never be significant contributors.

We need shooters, scorers and a mentally tough & skilled PG.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Sorry, but don’t forget to save some blame for CMW, because the buck stops with him. This is a really dumb basketball team down the stretch of games, and it’s way too common to not put some of that on the coaching staff, especially when it’s still happening this late in the season with this many upperclassmen on this team. 

We had multiple periods in this game where we had lineups on the court that were completely inept offensively, too, without a single player that could create their own shot. There’s really no point in having someone like PS in the game if you don’t have anyone that can press the defense into leaving him open. 

I hate putting everything on one player, but man, XJ was just awful in the second half, particularly down the stretch.

Finally, yes, missing Rob hurts, but if losing a guy who is also kind of inept offensively tanks your season, well …

Best post of the thread IMO. Thanks.

• Like 1

Here is a stat, Assembly Hall has been open for 50 years.  In that timeframe IU teams that played in the building have gone 612-132.  Not bad.  However, of that 132 losses, 64 have occurred in the last 15 years. 48%, nearly the same amount of losses in the last 15 years as in the prior 35.

https://news.iu.edu/stories/features/celebrating-50-years-assembly-hall/index.html

I would also like to point out that this is the type of hype I talked about above.  We cling to the past because we have no present worth talking about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I totally believe that:

1.  Woodson knows what type of players and roster he nneds to play the way he desires.

2. The current roster isn't capable of it in terms of individual skills and overall composition.

The big question is how, and how fast, he can get there.

JMHO but probably half the current roster are players that will never be significant contributors.

We need shooters, scorers and a mentally tough & skilled PG.

Guys like G Cupp, J Newton, M Little surely will/could be big contributors.  JMHO

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Here is a stat, Assembly Hall has been open for 50 years.  In that timeframe IU teams that played in the building have gone 612-132.  Not bad.  However, of that 132 losses, 64 have occurred in the last 15 years. 48%, nearly the same amount of losses in the last 15 years as in the prior 35.

https://news.iu.edu/stories/features/celebrating-50-years-assembly-hall/index.html

I would also like to point out that this is the type of hype I talked about above.  We cling to the past because we have no present worth talking about.

You unfortunately are 100% correct. 

46 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You cannot go into these jobs anymore and tell people "prepare to suck for 3 or 4 years..."  You just can't.  You have to figure out a way to win with what you have early on so you can build on it.  Even with all of this team's deficiencies, this should be a tournament team. 

One thing I will absolutely take Woodson to task for is that stupid NBA mass substitution we do in every game.  It rarely if ever works out and on the off times it did seem to somewhat work out we were bringing in Galloway and Phinisee as part of that second group.  

Matta, Fife, or someone needs to get ahold of him and stress behind closed doors that he does not have a full NBA roster anymore.  That philosophy is not going to work unless we have a significant talent upgrade at every position.

Sure..... but I don't think you can say that in Year 1. The reality is our results are a big step up from last year even if it's not where we want it. If we continue going up and to the right in Year 2, and then in Year 3, things will be fine. The issue becomes when we stop going up and to the right, where are we? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Don't understand the love for Fife.Michael Lewis yes.

Look who TT hired after Beard left.  I had never heard of him and had never been a D1 head coach.  He is doing a very good job, don't better to hire who you think best fit instead big name.  If we had hired him or even Cronin or the guy at Atixona the fan base wouldn't have been thrilled.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I enjoy the debate and your perspective as always. Last thing I will say because I'm beginning to beat a dead horse.....

Would we have even been in last night's end of game situation if (for example) we didn't consume 5-6 minutes with a line-up who didn't have a legitimate scoring threat on the floor? I'm not disputing your point about shooting, but just emphasizing that it was not the only reason we lost last night. Wins and losses are a result of many factors, each deserving of their own praises and criticisms. 

And to @Hoosier51's point: 'Talent' is relative, so we need to put it in context. The two 'in context' questions about talent that I can't shake are:

1. Do we have better talent on this year's roster vs. last year's? 

2. Do we have enough talent to make the tournament? 

My answer is 'yes' to both of those questions. So, if we follow the same trajectory as last year and don't make the tournament, we can't solely blame a lack of talent. TJD is on the mid-season Naismith list. Race is one of best two way players in the B1G. One week ago some were lauding XJ as one fo the best point guards in the B1G. Most teams have talent gaps in their roster, but good coaches find ways to cover up these deficiencies. At some point the narrative needs to be that we are underachieving. I don't find joy in saying this, but it does. 

I enjoy the debate as well, and certainly value and appreciate your thoughts...

But we can't leave the starters in for a whole half. I do think the en masse substitution should be looked at, and I think it's complicated to look at what components we put on the floor together...

But we're picking from a slim tree too...

People talk about outside shooting, but it's the 3 level scorers that we need. Johnny Davis didn't get all of his points from outside...as a matter of fact, he was 0-1 from 3. He killed us mid range and dribble drive.

Stewart and Kopp are one dimensional...outside shooters who cannot create their own shots and have little to no mid range or dribble drive game. Galloway can't shoot from outside, but has a serviceable mid range dribble drive game. XJ can do all 3 but he's very inconsistent in all 3 as well. You say he's one of the best PGs in the Big 10...Yes, he can be, but he can also kill us at times...

Bates I think WILL eventually be able to score at all 3 levels, but he's a work in progress...

I look at it like this...

Is Stewart a huge upgrade over Aarman Franklin? Is Kopp a huge upgrade over Jerome Hunter?  Is Durr a huge upgrade over Brunk? 

Just something to think about when looking at last year compared to this one...the defense is indisputably better, bit I think that's more a function of schemes than individual talent...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Wasn't that supsoed to be Bates, Lander Stewart and Kopp. I have come the realization that Indiana is the college basketball version of the Cubs. Wait til next year. 

There's a big difference in coming in late and settling for guys you can get and hope will help vs recruiting/landing guys (over years) that fit the system you want in place.

And for the record, I'm a Reds fan so there is never any hope 😄

Edited by HoosierDPU95

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Look who TT hired after Beard left.  I had never heard of him and had never been a D1 head coach.  He is doing a very good job, don't better to hire who you think best fit instead big name.  If we had hired him or even Cronin or the guy at Atixona the fan base wouldn't have been thrilled.

But is that his coaching talent or "The Mike Davis Effect"?