2024 F Liam McNeeley Decommits from Indiana

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Asking for a friend.... but, Is this a lock??  😉

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

It’s about as close as you can get in recruiting. 

Hopefully there's no Jared Jeffries moment on this one.  You'd think Kansas sanctions would slow em down, but kid's just shrug off cheating news...especially when the cheating has been more or less legalized.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Hopefully there's no Jared Jeffries moment on this one.  You'd think Kansas sanctions would slow em down, but kid's just shrug off cheating news...especially when the cheating has been more or less legalized.

Money talks and bullish!t walks!! It’s all about how much money am I going to make at what school now. IMO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Missed all you guys.  Not going to lie when Mile left us this place was just different for me.  Hope everyone is well especially all of you past Hoosier crazies like myself!  Let’s get Boogie now!

Let’s Boogie until our queen becomes our King!

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Missed all you guys.  Not going to lie when Mile left us this place was just different for me.  Hope everyone is well especially all of you past Hoosier crazies like myself!  Let’s get Boogie now!

I actually just kinda came back…so it’s good to have you back also 💪🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Huntnfreak said:

Money talks and bullish!t walks!! It’s all about how much money am I going to make at what school now. IMO

IF...that's McNeely's pitch, then I suspect Woody would pass. Personally I think Boogie is a better catch long term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

It would be really moronic to narrow your school choices down from 6 to 2 if your motive was a bidding war for your services. 

True...but we ARE talking about 18 yr olds who have never made any decent money prior to this. 

If he thinks IU & KU are the same, then I can see NIL be a major consideration.

5 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Man, we sure do make a lot of assumptions about people and their motives in life.

Maybe it's a young man taking time to make a very critical decision that will impact the rest of his life.

If his goal is the NBA, then NIL money may play a part....but not as big as some may think.

At least not for the very very high ranked kids.

NIL is probably a bigger player in transfers, hight 4 star and lower 5 star types.

But seriously, we should be careful making assumptions and judgments about people. It just sort of feels wrong.

This x1000000000000

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Man, we sure do make a lot of assumptions about people and their motives in life.

Maybe it's a young man taking time to make a very critical decision that will impact the rest of his life.

If his goal is the NBA, then NIL money may play a part....but not as big as some may think.

At least not for the very very high ranked kids.

NIL is probably a bigger player in transfers, hight 4 star and lower 5 star types.

But seriously, we should be careful making assumptions and judgments about people. It just sort of feels wrong.

Yep, for a very highly ranked kid who could well be a one and done 1st round selection, picking a school mostly based on NIL would be extremely short sighted. Which school he believes would have a better choice at improving his draft position would be the better choice even if the NIL was less. All things being equal, then the NIL might factor in but I bet there are other things that are higher priority to someone like that: style of play, how he would be used, how they would improve his game, relationship with the staff, relationship with the players, exposure, etc. Someone like that is probably highly competitive so winning might be a factor.

Between IU and Kansas, a lot of those things will be either the same or close. McNeeley has said that relationships and how the staffs have recruited him (length of time and level of involvement) are important to him. I don't see any reason to not believe him and IU has the advantage in those aspects, I think. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Huntnfreak said:

That’s not accurate for everyone. However that is still the case with some just like it has been for years. The only difference is now it’s legal and the playing field is a little more fair. 

• Like 1

If all other things are equal, NIL is todays version of being at the crossroads. You may get that golden fiddle, but there is no turning back. 

The chase for $ at all cost, very well may spell your ruins, forever. It's a trick bag for these high end kids and one that most adults couldn't (don't) walk correctly. Once you show you advertise that you are for sale, you are always for sale. It's sad they have to deal with this.

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier

The point of my comment was that kids will overlook a school that has either received sanctions or has sanctions pending against them depending on how much NIL money is available to them and how big the stage is they can play on. I was not referring to Liam at all!! It just so happened to be mentioned about Kansas’ sanctions in a comment in his thread.

Edited by Huntnfreak
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Huntnfreak said:

The point of my comment was that kids will overlook a school that has either received sanctions or has sanctions pending against them depending on how much NIL money is available to them and how big the stage is they can play on. I was not referring to Liam at all!! It just so happened to be mentioned about Kansas’ sanctions in a comment in his thread.

100% fair. Great clarification.

11 hours ago, DWB said:

True...but we ARE talking about 18 yr olds who have never made any decent money prior to this. 

If he thinks IU & KU are the same, then I can see NIL be a major consideration.

One major consideration is where he believes he has the best chance of winning a national championship in what he believes will be his only year in college.

Self’s pitch is forget about relationships you’ve built with IU staff and do what’s best for you to win a NC. Had KU gotten traction with Cooper Flagg, a good friend of Liam’s, that just might have tipped the scales.

Edited by eddy4iu