Crean admitted today. He does not watch IU games.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I listened to his segment and as akways very classy and not a bad word about IU. I dont think we would shoot as bad with CTC as we currently do 

Very classy indeed, IMHO.  And still invested in Indiana University basketball, as far as I am concerned.  I have to admit, that I had to turn away from HSN 3.0 for awhile after the loss last night, as well. So I know were he is coming from.  Perhaps on different levels.... however two guys still heavily invested in Indiana BB, as far as I am concerned.

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Very classy indeed, IMHO.  And still invested in Indiana University basketball, as far as I am concerned.  I have to admit, that I had to turn away from HSN 3.0 for awhile after the loss last night, as well. So I know were he is coming from.  Perhaps on different levels.... however two guys still heavily invested in Indiana BB, as far as I am concerned.

Mile, I wondered where you were at last night. I have those same feelings but I just don't let it get to me like it used to. We are in a state of transition  this year and possibly next (depending on who is on the roster) year will not be that great. Hopefully by the third year we will be back to elite status with a steady supply of top level talent and character. 

Crean was the right man at the time and his character and passion are off the charts. However he was not the long term answer and as a previous poster stated if he wasn't fired last year he would of been this year for sure. I wish him nothing but the best and appreciate everything he did to pull us out of the dumpster.

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

Mile, I wondered where you were at last night. I have those same feelings but I just don't let it get to me like it used to. The are in a state of transition and this year and possibly next (depending on who is on the roster) year will not be that great. Hopefully by the third year we will be back to elite status with a steady supply of top level talent and character. 

Crean was the right man at the time and his character and passion are off the charts. However he was not the long term answer and as a previous poster stated if he wasn't fired last year he would of been this year for sure. I wish him nothing but the best and appreciate everything he did to pull us out of the dumpster.

My emotions towards IU and IUBB run high.  And I knew whatever I said, could be interpreted in many different ways. So... I chose to remain silent. 

I do realize that is not the fodder of fan boards..... to remain silent.  However, after last night, I could not find the right words. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

My emotions towards IU and IUBB run high.  And I knew whatever I said, could be interpreted in many different ways. So... I chose to remain silent. 

I do realize that is not the fodder of fan boards..... to remain silent.  However, after last night, I could not find the right words. 

For what it is worth, your presence in what ever capacity was missed. In my opinion this board is not the same without your presence!

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I had to stay away as well.  Honestly, mostly because it's not enjoyable to read the over-the-top reactions when IU plays poorly.  I didn't watch but read the game thread periodically and numerous comments gave me the impression that IU had no chance/game was over well before it was over. I was shocked to later discover that IU only lost by 2 as I quit reading the game thread with several minutes to go when I had the impression that IU had no chance.  There's just too much negativity here when IU doesn't win. I usually just take a break for awhile.

That being said...this team needs to shoot thousands and thousands of free throws.

16 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

For all those on these message boards who bashed Crean mercilessly for not being able to “coach defense”. Would you believe Archie’s pack line scoring defense to date is only 2pts per game better? 

Sometimes the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s are just as important as the X’s and the O’s. Crean left Archie a horrible roster that hadn’t been taught defense in years, and he’s in year 1 of implementing a new system, Crean was in year 9. I guarantee you the defense will be much, much better when Archie has a real team and the system is fully in place. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Sometimes the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s are just as important as the X’s and the O’s. Crean left Archie a horrible roster that hadn’t been taught defense in years, and he’s in year 1 of implementing a new system, Crean was in year 9. I guarantee you the defense will be much, much better when Archie has a real team and the system is fully in place. 

I completely agree and tried in vain to explain that last season when I put the blame on the players and not Crean but I was constantly told I was wrong

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

I completely agree and tried in vain to explain that last season when I put the blame on the players and not Crean but I was constantly told I was wrong

Um, last year we had OG (we were playing poorly before his injury), Bryant and JBJ? I don’t love JBJ, but last years roster was way more talented than this years, and it’s not even close. Plus there’s the fact that Crean recruited that team in year 9. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Um, last year we had OG (we were playing poorly before his injury), Bryant and JBJ? I don’t love JBJ, but last years roster was way more talented than this years, and it’s not even close. Plus there’s the fact that Crean recruited that team in year 9. 

Talented offensive players, yes. Bryant and JBJ were worse defenders than any who players on the team, last year or current. 

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

Talented offensive players, yes. Bryant and JBJ were worse defenders than any who players on the team, last year or current. 

And they weren’t coached defense either. Under Crean it just wasn’t as much of an emphasis. But I’ll leave it at that. Crean had 9 years and clearly couldn’t get the job done. 

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Because it is too emotional for him. 

Well...I bet there were fans that wept over the way he coached and the way some of his teams played.

As that Canadian sang..."Isn't it ironic?"

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I had to stay away as well.  Honestly, mostly because it's not enjoyable to read the over-the-top reactions when IU plays poorly.  I didn't watch but read the game thread periodically and numerous comments gave me the impression that IU had no chance/game was over well before it was over. I was shocked to later discover that IU only lost by 2 as I quit reading the game thread with several minutes to go when I had the impression that IU had no chance.  There's just too much negativity here when IU doesn't win. I usually just take a break for awhile.

That being said...this team needs to shoot thousands and thousands of free throws.

To be fair, we went from up 9 with about a minute to go in the first half to down six or eight with a minute to go in the second. 

We made an impressive little rally to give ourselves a shot but we were thoroughly outplayed for a 20 minute stretch. 

The old saying : "When one door closes, another opens up"..... could not be more applicable for Tom Crean.  I was never a Crean basher.  Never saw him as the "used car salesman" that some on other sites purported him to be.  And wondered in my own mind if relationships with Indiana high school coaches had deteriorated as badly as some purported they had.  Having said that, I was ready for a change.... considering the results over time.

Back to my original thought about closing doors... opening up opportunities.  I have seen and listened to Crean on ESPN, both courtside, and in studio.... and think he has found his calling.  For me, he is doing a tremendous job.  And should stay in broadcasting, and away from coaching. 

understandable.  i'm in a similar situation on a much lower level, and i am the opposite.  i retired as girls bball coach at our HS at the end of last year, but i still teach there and i love to go watch.  i can actually sit back and relax and enjoy the game!  everyone told me it would bother me, but i love it.

No , because of the rotten deal that he [ and Coach Knight ] got from the IU BRASS ,imho !! If I were in Crean's or Knight's shoes I would not want to have anything with IU either !! Having said that , I remain a true LOYAL Hoosier Fan , even though I do not always agree with some of the decisions the IU Brass makes ( like not accepting the bid to play in the CIT Tournament !! Any post season tournament is better than sitting on your arses watching other schools play that I know IU could beat , IMHO !!!

On 1/25/2018 at 3:38 PM, Billingsley99 said:

I listened to his segment and as akways very classy and not a bad word about IU. I dont think we would shoot as bad with CTC as we currently do 

I honestly think our shooting problems are coming from having to focus on defense. I’ve been think a lot about this, it’s not like it’s one guy, nobody can shoot this year. Guys that could hit 3’s can’t now. Guys that could shoot FTs can’t now. I think CAM has placed such emphasis on D, that they are so focused on it, they have lost focus on shooting. None of these guys had been expected to play D before and if your not used to it, other areas could lapse. That’s my theory anyway!

On 1/26/2018 at 1:03 PM, milehiiu said:

Seems.... I am not the only one who likes the work that Tom Crean is doing on ESPN.

Basketball fans are loving Tom Crean's call of Kansas-OU

If he's doing this good broadcasting, he would be crazy to go back to coaching.  A college basketball analyst might just be the best job a person can have.  And, if you're good at it and get to do top games, then why bother trying to do something else.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If he's doing this good broadcasting, he would be crazy to go back to coaching.  A college basketball analyst might just be the best job a person can have.  And, if you're good at it and get to do top games, then why bother trying to do something else.

I kept checking all the games ESPN did on Saturday.  Wanting to hear what game Mr. Crean was at.   Instead.... I heard him  IN STUDIO this evening, reviewing all the games. Appears to me that even ESPN is picking up on Mr. Crean's talent.

Archived