USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

44 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Depends on who they get instead.  Not a fan of the Domers but if they add a Notre Dame and a UNC, UVA, Miami type of team, nobody will care.

Stanford brings superior academics, better overall athletics, and the Bay area TV market.  Notre Dame brings a historic past in football, with emphasis on 'past'.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The Big Ten missed a golden opportunity with Stanford an Cal.  I guess they didnt want to go to 20 without Notre Dame.   Will be viewed as a mistake 20 years from now.  

Eventually, even with the NBC revenue stream, ND’s hand will forced, and they’ll have to join a conference or risk being the odd man out come CFP time. Once the CFP format is increased to 12 teams,  mega conferences could get 3-4 bids each, leaving extreme pressure on ND to go undefeated or risk being left out of the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Stanford brings superior academics, better overall athletics, and the Bay area TV market.  Notre Dame brings a historic past in football, with emphasis on 'past'.  

Please tell me of any BIG team not named Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State that can hold a candle next to ND in it’s current state of flux?

40 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Please tell me of any BIG team not named Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State that can hold a candle next to ND in it’s current state of flux?

You are basing that on ONE sport.  Stanford has 134 national championships across all sports.  Notre Dame has 34.  I'm not a math wizard, but I do believe that calculates to Stanford having 100 more championships than the Irish.  When you factor in academic prestige, there is a clear winner and it is not ND.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

You are basing that on ONE sport.  Stanford has 134 national championships across all sports.  Notre Dame has 34.  I'm not a math wizard, but I do believe that calculates to Stanford having 100 more championships than the Irish.  When you factor in academic prestige, there is a clear winner and it is not ND.  

One on one? I personally went one on one with the national champion! No one pays any attention to the sports that Stanford or I competed in!!!! ND was like our big brother for me. They were National Champions and they encouraged us to play in their world!

On 9/1/2023 at 5:06 PM, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Eventually, even with the NBC revenue stream, ND’s hand will forced, and they’ll have to join a conference or risk being the odd man out come CFP time. Once the CFP format is increased to 12 teams,  mega conferences could get 3-4 bids each, leaving extreme pressure on ND to go undefeated or risk being left out of the playoffs.

They should go to the ACC…easiest conference to win and make the playoffs each year…the real issue is with the conferences getting so big if they all go 9-10 conference games then ND will have no one to play.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

They should go to the ACC…easiest conference to win and make the playoffs each year…the real issue is with the conferences getting so big if they all go 9-10 conference games then ND will have no one to play.

Good point, and just another reason they’ll need to join a conference. Agree, ACC may be their best option.

On 9/2/2023 at 10:39 PM, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Good point, and just another reason they’ll need to join a conference. Agree, ACC may be their best option.

They would have to get paid $$ to do it because they can get a big tv deal just about anywhere…but in the end if they can’t play USC/Stanford every year…well that would be a problem…how much would someone pay to watch them play the service academies and a bunch of group of 6 conference teams. If ACC and B1G go 10 conference games because they expanded…not sure Stanford and USC have appetite to play ND anymore much less the other ACC/B1G games that make up their typical schedule.

Edited by dgambill

18 hours ago, Reacher said:

Looks like the conference is looking at 14 single play and 3 double play games (total of 20) for mens and womens basketball. The schedule will continue to matter in determining the conference champion. 

This expansion will make it so i don't get my yearly IU v Iowa in Iowa City game i have come to enjoy going to with my friends out here.  Oh well

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...