IUBB 22/‘23

10 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

This is a really good watch. Unfortunately, Purdue is a prime example of this video (deservedly so). I’ve noticed the past few years they’ve had very good motion on offense and this video picks out a couple reasons why. 
Many of us have noticed our poor offense and how it lacks motion (aside from the weave that delays our offense at the beginning of possessions). Notice how shooters are able to get open looks in this offensive scheme? Their Miller Kopp’s aren’t just standing in the corner waiting for an open look. I don’t claim to know more than CMW or anyone on his staff, but it certainly feels like we could benefit from implementing some of this action.

I take offense! MK runs motion - he stands still for 10 seconds the goes in motion to another spot to loiter😉

Seriously, I miss us running a structured, active offense (especially the classic motion offense).  It not only can be effective, but it's enjoyable to watch.

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Contrarily.... 

IU was 120-53 with 2 B1G titles overall. 66-34 in the conference... in the 5 years prior to when this tweet started calculating. 

Yeah, the cool thing for IU fans is to trash talk Tom Crean, and I know Georgia didn't pan out for him, but what if he was having a Painter-like blip in year 9 or whatever year it was?

Crean's record, especially after the first 3 seasons doesn't seem so bad anymore. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So Race back in early to mid February? ITH has a link up. Just need to get a few W's to keep us hovering until the full clip returns. 

If we can get to 5-6 in the Big 10 before our game with Purdue in Bloomington on 2/4 and get Race back then, there will be some hope... 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Click through to read the entire thread. Really interesting data on Kopp's drop in offensive production without XJ, as we'll as his defensive rating. 

Even as a casual to sometimes above average casual fan....there are so many things in each play or things within a play that we miss. Thanks for posting. Another reason we miss X so much.

I watched film with a college coach buddy last week. He showed me 5 plays of total failure and broke down from start to finish why each failed...almost domino like each time. Miss him and Race so much. Just  hoping we have something left for them when they return.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, the cool thing for IU fans is to trash talk Tom Crean, and I know Georgia didn't pan out for him, but what if he was having a Painter-like blip in year 9 or whatever year it was?

Crean's record, especially after the first 3 seasons doesn't seem so bad anymore. 

We were a top 5 team that collapsed that year, too.

I understand why we moved on, and I was certainly ready for it by that point, but I have no doubt the past 5.5 years would have been better under TC than what we've had. If Crean could have survived until the transfer portal and NIL, I kinda think he could have figured that out and thrived here. I do think he'd burnt out a lot of relationships with Indiana high school coaches, though. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I understand why we moved on, and I was certainly ready for it by that point, but I have no doubt the past 5.5 years would have been better under TC than what we've had. If Crean could have survived until the transfer portal and NIL, I kinda think he could have figured that out and thrived here. I do think he'd burnt out a lot of relationships with Indiana high school coaches, though. 

I D K. Transfers out of GA and the inability to replace them doomed him there

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree with all of that. The wore out his welcome part is the tough part, he did miss out on a lot of Indiana kids towards the end. 

With that said, I'd take two Big Ten titles and 3 Sweet Sixteens in a 5 year period in a heartbeat right now. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Click through to read the entire thread. Really interesting data on Kopp's drop in offensive production without XJ, as we'll as his defensive rating. 

I can confidently say... we asked XJ to do too much for our team. Other guys/positions need to be better and more productive. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I can confidently say... we asked XJ to do too much for our team. Other guys/positions need to be better and more productive. 

Absolutely! Imagine somehow thinking that XJ wasn't critical to our success?

But yes, it's step up time for everyone that is in uniform. It's leadership time from guys like TJD, Galloway, and the healthy upperclassmen.  

Season is really on the line today. 1-5 is a deep hole to dig out of. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DWB said:

Hole is already dug, we're standing on one edge, and the guy with the skid loader to fill with dirt are on the other side.

It's put up or shut up time.

Absolutely! While still not great, you can recover from 2-4 if you put a little string together. Fall to 1-5 and even getting back to a game or two below .500 is a challenge. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I D K. Transfers out of GA and the inability to replace them doomed him there

Sure, I just don't think it's really fair to compare what he did at Georgia to IU.

He completely failed at Georgia, that's not true of the other two places he was head coach. He is probably a top 2 coach in Marquette history and top 3-5 here? 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Sure, I just don't think it's really fair to compare what he did at Georgia to IU.

He completely failed at Georgia, that's not true of the other two places he was head coach. He is probably a top 2 coach in Marquette history and top 3-5 here? 

Oh, I agree. It seems like his players got poached at GA. 

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Oh, I agree. It seems like his players got poached at GA. 

Oh gotcha, yeah, we are on the same page. 

I think his last or second to last year there, something like 10 UGA players were playing at other schools, many on tournament teams. Georgia for whatever reason has never been able to have sustained success in basketball, but there's no reason with their resources they couldn't. Look at other football schools and how they take advantage of their resources, then add in the fact that Atlanta is right there....

42 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Oh gotcha, yeah, we are on the same page. 

I think his last or second to last year there, something like 10 UGA players were playing at other schools, many on tournament teams. Georgia for whatever reason has never been able to have sustained success in basketball, but there's no reason with their resources they couldn't. Look at other football schools and how they take advantage of their resources, then add in the fact that Atlanta is right there....

I had to go look it up.  Hugh Durham coached UGA for 17 years.  He led the Dawgs to 5, yep only 5, NCAAT appearances.  With one of them being a FF berth.  

• Like 1

Question for those that know more than I do.  In the off-season there was some chatter about Geronimo learning to play the 3.  And he has been kinda disappointing so far this year.  Yet he played great today by doing what he did at the end of the year last year.  Crashing the class and playing more of a four.  Is this a fair observation?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Question for those that know more than I do.  In the off-season there was some chatter about Geronimo learning to play the 3.  And he has been kinda disappointing so far this year.  Yet he played great today by doing what he did at the end of the year last year.  Crashing the class and playing more of a four.  Is this a fair observation?

Yes, and I believe that was discussed in the post game thread by BGleas, and others.

• Thanks 1