Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My point isn't how good Iowa State and OSU are.  My point is the Big Ten is not very good.  Gonna be a whole lot of 7-11 seeds for the conference come tournament time.  

The big 12 is the best conference, but it’s either the big ten or sec after that if you’re looking at top to bottom conference strength. Wouldn’t necessarily say that makes the big ten bad. But to your point, not a lot of high seeds in the big ten. It’s tough because the only game that theoretically should be easy is Minnesota, every other team is in the top 100. All the other conferences besides the big 12 have more bottom feeders.

I know that we aren't exactly setting the world on fire, so I can't make fun of tOSU losing 5 in a row too much. I need to temper myself when discussing their 5 game losing streak and make sure I'm not making the 5 game losing streak too big of a deal. It sucks losing 5 games in a row, and I'm sure tOSU is not happy right now with a 5 game losing streak. Who would be? All tOSU can do, in the midst of this 5 game losing streak, is try their best to prepare for the next game. One game at a time mentality. And then, hopefully, their current 5 game losing streak becomes a thing of the past.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My point isn't how good Iowa State and OSU are.  My point is the Big Ten is not very good.  Gonna be a whole lot of 7-11 seeds for the conference come tournament time.  

Disagree...You want to use rankings? The Big 10 has had 9 teams ranked during this year. It was only after they started playing each other and knocking one another off that teams started falling out...

Nebraska gave Purdue all it wanted. Top to bottom, the Big 10 is solid save maybe Minnesota, and even they can have a game and knock you off...

I do agree the Big 10 won't grab any high seeds unless Purdue keeps winning... But that's because of the balance in the league, not "bad teams."

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Disagree...You want to use rankings? The Big 10 has had 9 teams ranked during this year. It was only after they started playing each other and knocking one another off that teams started falling out...

Nebraska gave Purdue all it wanted. Top to bottom, the Big 10 is solid save maybe Minnesota, and even they can have a game and knock you off...

I do agree the Big 10 won't grab any high seeds unless Purdue keeps winning... But that's because of the balance in the league, not "bad teams."

We're going to see zero Big Ten teams in the Final Four.  Purdue is the only conference team that remotely looks the part, but they have an all-freshmen backcourt, which will be a factor in how far they go.  Meanwhile, there are teams like UNC and UK that are Final Four contenders that just have not put it all together yet.  Honestly, we may only see 2 Big Ten teams advance past the first weekend.    

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We're going to see zero Big Ten teams in the Final Four.  Purdue is the only conference team that remotely looks the part, but they have an all-freshmen backcourt, which will be a factor in how far they go.  Meanwhile, there are teams like UNC and UK that are Final Four contenders that just have not put it all together yet.  Honestly, we may only see 2 Big Ten teams advance past the first weekend.    

I wish I could be that sure on anything in life... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

10-10 probably won’t get in. Road wins will be critical 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Well X and Race should be back. They still look at injuries, right?

Probably, but the challenge will be building a tournament resume in a weak conference. 8 B1G teams are 40+ in the NET. Losses to those teams, home or away, will be punitive. We already have losses to two - NW & PSU. WI is #65, NE #88. Those home wins were critical only because losses would be fatal, but they don’t move the needle. We’ll need to get multiple road wins and hold serve at home. 

We are 1-5 in quad 1 games, with only 3 future home games currently being quad 1 (PU, IL, OSU). OSU not likely to stay there. We could be playing at MI (currently #75) as a quad 2 game!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Probably, but the challenge will be building a tournament resume in a weak conference. 8 B1G teams are 40+ in the NET. Losses to those teams, home or away, will be punitive. We already have losses to two - NW & PSU. WI is #65, NE #88. Those home wins were critical only because losses would be fatal, but they don’t move the needle. We’ll need to get multiple road wins and hold serve at home. 

We are 1-5 in quad 1 games, with only 3 future home games currently being quad 1 (PU, IL, OSU). OSU not likely to stay there. We could be playing at MI (currently #75) as a quad 2 game!

Can’t do anything about any of this. The only thing we can control is winning as many games as we can. The rest will play itself out.

Cannot focus on what any other teams are doing. This team needs to have a singular goal of winning every game.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Can’t do anything about any of this. The only thing we can control is winning as many games as we can. The rest will play itself out.

Cannot focus on what any other teams are doing. This team needs to have a singular goal of winning every game.

Agree. Wrack up wins and nothing else matters. Maybe all of that NET stuff matters for seeding, but just win and everything will be fine. 

Home or away, we need to wrack up wins against those middle of the pack teams like Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, Maryland, OSU. We need to catch and then separate from those teams. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I was listening to Crimson Cast this morning and they were talking about how Edey had zero fouls in 32 minutes against Michigan. 

This is the type of crap that’s not going to happen in the tournament. They predicted Edey is going to pick up 2 fouls early that normally wouldn’t be called in the B1G, and then those important tournament games are going to fall on the back of Purdue’s freshman. 

Wash, rinse, repeat for B1G teams in the tournament. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I was listening to Crimson Cast this morning and they were talking about how Edey had zero fouls in 32 minutes against Michigan. 

This is the type of crap that’s not going to happen in the tournament. They predicted Edey is going to pick up 2 fouls early that normally wouldn’t be called in the B1G, and then those important tournament games are going to fall on the back of Purdue’s freshman. 

Wash, rinse, repeat for B1G teams in the tournament. 

Man, right after I wrote that I listened to a podcast that Crimson Cast recommended. Moving Screen interviewed the Big Ten’s Associate commissioner about officiating. Very interesting to hear his perspective about all things officiating. I’m not sure I buy into his rationale about about everything, but interesting none the less. 

In regards to my accusation: that officiating affects B1G teams in the NCAA tournament, he says that B1G officials primarily officiate B1G games, but they officiate a lot in other conferences and all around the country. He blames the coaching in the B1G. 

A definite must listen. (Interview starts at 44.00). Also going to post this in the officiating thread. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/former-big-ten-mbb-head-rick-boyages-explains-officiating/id1441320419?i=1000593571580

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I call the big ten mediocre with no great teams and most teams are just alike.

11 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I know that we aren't exactly setting the world on fire, so I can't make fun of tOSU losing 5 in a row too much. I need to temper myself when discussing their 5 game losing streak and make sure I'm not making the 5 game losing streak too big of a deal. It sucks losing 5 games in a row, and I'm sure tOSU is not happy right now with a 5 game losing streak. Who would be? All tOSU can do, in the midst of this 5 game losing streak, is try their best to prepare for the next game. One game at a time mentality. And then, hopefully, their current 5 game losing streak becomes a thing of the past.

I said after our game vs Nebraska that they were going to be tough out there. Does Ohio St have injuries or just hitting a bad stretch?

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I wish I could be that sure on anything in life... 

You actually are.  You have the same confidence in IU basketball and its coaching staff and what they can/will do as he does about that statement about the B1G.

And i am not being sarcastic, meaning this as a knock or anything.  Just stating the fact that you're steadfastly confident in this team, staff, and administration.  Day in and day out.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Don't see us better than 9 -11 in Big Ten.Does that get us in tournament with a win or two in Big Ten tournament.

11 conference losses, with two non-conference losses, and a conference tournament loss would give us 14 losses.  That barely worked last year and with a weaker Big Ten, probably would not be good enough this season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Don't see us better than 9 -11 in Big Ten.Does that get us in tournament with a win or two in Big Ten tournament.

I'd like to think the NCAATC would take a hard look at our record when healthy vs not. Just a reminder which may or may not work in our favor but Chris Reynolds is the Tourney Committee Chair this year. He of all people should know how deep the conference is.

I will say this though. With our recent conference champs flailing out in 2nd round maybe the committee might be getting tired of just putting 9 Big 10 teams in each year.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd like to think the NCAATC would take a hard look at our record when healthy vs not. Just a reminder which may or may not work in our favor but Chris Reynolds is the Tourney Committee Chair this year. He of all people should know how deep the conference is.

I will say this though. With our recent conference champs flailing out in 2nd round maybe the committee might be getting tired of just putting 9 Big 10 teams in each year.

Hasn't stopped them from the last 20 years putting 9 team in LOL, not sure they would stop now.  To much money in it.

I wish the committee looked more at injuries and how a team played before and after, but at some point, the number of losses will keep us out if they pile to high.  they love to get more and more mid majors in.  So a 26 win Belmont looks a lot better than a 14 loss IU.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Hasn't stopped them from the last 20 years putting 9 team in LOL, not sure they would stop now.  To much money in it.

I wish the committee looked more at injuries and how a team played before and after, but at some point, the number of losses will keep us out if they pile to high.  they love to get more and more mid majors in.  So a 26 win Belmont looks a lot better than a 14 loss IU.  

To be on the safe side we need Carolina, Xavier and any other perceived good win team to keep on winning. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The one thing the B1G will ALWAYS have is a large alumni base and eyeballs watching. For better or worse, programs will likely get in based on general popularity and TV market share (when compared to other similar, smaller conference teams with like records).

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Man, right after I wrote that I listened to a podcast that Crimson Cast recommended. Moving Screen interviewed the Big Ten’s Associate commissioner about officiating. Very interesting to hear his perspective about all things officiating. I’m not sure I buy into his rationale about about everything, but interesting none the less. 

In regards to my accusation: that officiating affects B1G teams in the NCAA tournament, he says that B1G officials primarily officiate B1G games, but they officiate a lot in other conferences and all around the country. He blames the coaching in the B1G. 

A definite must listen. (Interview starts at 44.00). Also going to post this in the officiating thread. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/former-big-ten-mbb-head-rick-boyages-explains-officiating/id1441320419?i=1000593571580

The coaches should work around the officiating and not the other way around. Blaming the coaches is a copout and shows why the B1G officiating sucks and won't change any time soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Wrack up wins and nothing else matters. Maybe all of that NET stuff matters for seeding, but just win and everything will be fine. 

Home or away, we need to wrack up wins against those middle of the pack teams like Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, Maryland, OSU. We need to catch and then separate from those teams. 

100000%

Worrying about what Xavier, UNC and other teams are doing is such a bizarre way of thinking, because there is zero control over what they do. (In truth, as fans, we have zero control over what IU does either, so it's all folly in a way). IU has to focus on Illinois and Illinois only -- the teams they've played before (and won't play again) have moved on and we need to as well.

Instead of worrying about a NET ranking or Quad 1 this, Quad 2 that, how about focusing on defensive rotations, proper closeouts and taking care of the basketball.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You actually are.  You have the same confidence in IU basketball and its coaching staff and what they can/will do as he does about that statement about the B1G.

And i am not being sarcastic, meaning this as a knock or anything.  Just stating the fact that you're steadfastly confident in this team, staff, and administration.  Day in and day out.  

I know I have a positive outlook, but I try to stay away from definitive statements like "We're going to see zero Big Ten teams in the Final Four."

College Basketball is way too difficult to gauge something like that in mid-January... 

No offense taken at all... I know me 🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

The coaches should work around the officiating and not the other way around. Blaming the coaches is a copout and shows why the B1G officiating sucks and won't change any time soon.

I'd recommend listening before making that statement. Not that you are wrong, but I think the answer is somewhere in the middle and he explains why. Like all things in life, you need to listen to both sides' perspective before making a conclusion.

He does go off on an interesting tangent about Wisconsin. Basically, that they are coached not to make stupid reaching fouls and don't go over the back. He claims that the officials know the fouling discrepancy (which is always in WI's favor) and feel tons of pressure from the crowd, players and coaches to even it up. 

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know I have a positive outlook, but I try to stay away from definitive statements like "We're going to see zero Big Ten teams in the Final Four."

College Basketball is way too difficult to gauge something like that in mid-January... 

No offense taken at all... I know me 🙂

I want to see your 'money' bracket before the tournament starts.

• Haha 1