Successful Season? The Big Dance

I’m interested to gauge what others think…Now that we’re reaching the end of the year and are 0-2 against our pre-season goals (season title and BTT title) what would would we need to do in “The Dance” to make you feel like this was a successful season?

Is it National Title? Final Four? Sweet 16/Elite 8? Maybe you’re just happy we made the Tournament?

For me personally, it’s making the second weekend (Sweet 16). If we get bounced in the first weekend I would consider this year a big disappointment. What is everyone else’s thoughts?

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but after today, I think the body of evidence has already made this year a disappointing season.  Every time I begin to believe we are turning the corner it has been just one more kick in the 'nads.  We set ourselves up for success just to let it slip away again.  I did not think we would beat MD or PSU.  We just have not shown any significant ability to win on the road.  Injuries absolutely had some to do with it for sure.  However, I just can't get back on the winning train ride with this team.  I see no evidence they will win at all in the NCAAT and think they are outed in the first game.They have nothing reliable after  TJD and JHS.   I don't like my assessment but just have no further expectations from this team.  They all seem like great young men but not a great team as currently constructed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but after today, I think the body of evidence has already made this year a disappointing season.  Every time I begin to believe we are turning the corner it has been just one more kick in the 'nads.  We set ourselves up for success just to let it slip away again.  I did not think we would beat MD or PSU.  We just have not shown any significant ability to win on the road.  Injuries absolutely had some to do with it for sure.  However, I just can't get back on the winning train ride with this team.  I see no evidence they will win at all in the NCAAT and think they are outed in the first game.They have nothing reliable after  TJD and JHS.   I don't like my assessment but just have no further expectations from this team.  They all seem like great young men but not a great team as currently constructed.

You could be right and If you’re right…it’s a big disappointment. 

• Like 1

Hard to gauge because we will never know.  I’d argue that if we had X and Race all year (we did when the goals were set) that we would have achieved them.  X would have alleviated a lot of the perimeter D issues we have seen and would have offered another ball handler, 3 pt shooter and all around scorer.  That being said the tournament is all about matchups and I still think given the right draw we can go Sweet 16 or Elite 8

So far, considering the setbacks this team has faced with injuries, I think the team has done pretty well.  I also think the preseason expectations were sky high for a second year coach inheriting what Woodson did.

Honestly, I'm just going to enjoy watching IU play in the tournament. 

For everyone that's calling this year a disappointment if we don't get to X round in the tournament, I just don't understand that mentality as a fan. Woodson made huge improvements last year, and we've been that much better this year despite massive injury problems.

The tournament is mostly about matchups and luck, so I'm not going to get myself too upset with any outcome. Instead, I'm going to enjoy watching IU in the NCAA with the knowledge that they have the potential to make it pretty far if things fall in our favor.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FWIUFan said:

I thought the season was pretty successful finishing second this year and more than likely get a 4 seed. We were picked to win the conference but I would say that expectations went out with XJ injury. We had our original starting lineup together for 6 games this year. We have had more missed games due to injury than any team in the big ten.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I expect an Elite Eight finish, but will be happy with Sweet Sixteen. 

We're going to be a 4 or 5 seed.  That means we're playing the #1 seed in the Sweet 16.  Doubtful we can beat any of those except Purdue (who will not be in our region).  Not sure we should expect an Elite 8.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

We're going to be a 4 or 5 seed.  That means we're playing the #1 seed in the Sweet 16.  Doubtful we can beat any of those except Purdue (who will not be in our region).  Not sure we should expect an Elite 8.  

Agree but in 2002 nobody thought we could beat that Duke team.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not really answering the question, but I don't really like judging any one particular season at this point in time. 

To me, for 20-30 years consistency has been this programs problem. Overall, Crean's problem wasn't 2012 and 2013 or 2016, his problem was the year after 2013 and the year after 2016. He was really good and then really bad, no in between. 

With XJ basically missing the entire season, I'm satisfied but not I'm looking at success or failure. 

For Mike Woodson and this program, while i really want a 2nd weekend apparance this year, I'm more worried or interested in next year in terms if judging things. 

A 2nd place finish and hopefully 4 seed are great, but what next? We're losing 4 starters. How is the staff going to replace those guys? 

Are we going to have a Crean-like down year, or are we going to adjust and compete again after losing all these guys?

I'm tired of the ups and downs. Not saying we shouldn't drop next season with the personnel losses, but Indiana should be a competitive team year in and year out, a tournament team year in and year out. 

Like MSU or some of these other programs, even in their down years teams are still fearful of them come March. 

Sorry for the long post, but again the point is while I can't wait for next week and hope we make a run, I'm really looking for sustained success year over year in terms of judging things. 

Very good points. Sustained success is key. 2024 looks to be a strong year potentially with recruits but where does that leave next year? I’m hopeful and optimistic Woodson brings in difference makers through the portal allowing us to continue to be a strong team next year.

Just now, Hoosier987 said:

Very good points. Sustained success is key. 2024 looks to be a strong year potentially with recruits but where does that leave next year? I’m hopeful and optimistic Woodson brings in difference makers through the portal allowing us to continue to be a strong team next year.

I just hope we don't have any unexpected transfers from this year's team. If we bring back Reneau, Banks, Gunn, Bates, Galloway that is a descent start to go with the recruits Cupp and Newton. All of these guys needs to be in the gym working on their game all summer to develop their games.

Hopefully we can hit the portal for at least 3 players and maybe a recruit or two who my decommit from other schools.

Just now, 5fouls said:

How's this.  If we get Duke in the 4 v 5 game, I'll have no expectations of getting past the round of 32.  If we get a team like Xavier, I'll be disappointed if we don't make the Sweet 16.  

I would like to see Texas Southern as the 5 seed we play or maybe Montana St

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just hope we don't have any unexpected transfers from this year's team. If we bring back Reneau, Banks, Gunn, Bates, Galloway that is a descent start to go with the recruits Cupp and Newton. All of these guys needs to be in the gym working on their game all summer to develop their games.

Hopefully we can hit the portal for at least 3 players and maybe a recruit or two who my decommit from other schools.

Not to dive too much into next year because we still have this team to root for in the NCAA’s…but you mention 3 from the transfer portal…I agree…I could even see 4. Not sure if there’s anyone on this current team (besides X and maybe Malik) that’s going to be a for sure starter for next year’s team.

I am such an idiot because for shits and giggles I looked at the rivals board and they didn't disappoint. First thread if you ran IU basketball like a business. The poster said after we lose in the first or second round they should to tell Woodson thank you and then fire him. Everytime I think this board goes a little haywire I should just remember how good we have it here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am such an idiot because for shits and giggles I looked at the rivals board and they didn't disappoint. First thread if you ran IU basketball like a business. The poster said after we lose in the first or second round they should to tell Woodson thank you and then fire him. Everytime I think this board goes a little haywire I should just remember how good we have it here.

Great to talk about Soccer on there, Basketball, yea that’s a no for me