Traveling to Albany or Kansas City

Is anyone else going? I can’t make it to Friday’s opening round, but IF we pull it out… I’m looking at tickets/traveling expenses for Sunday’s game. I’ve never been to Albany, but lived in KC for 6 months for work some time ago. 

I like KC, but am intrigued by making the Albany trip if we prevail. Obviously we’d have to make it to the Sweet 16 in order to get to KC.

As much as most Hoosier fans hate Sampson, my dad played college ball with him at Pembroke State in North Carolina. He and I shared a couple stories back when he was recruiting in Indy in 06. My dad passed away back in 95. Even though we didn’t like how Sampson’s tenure ended, he’s a hell of a coach. I can’t help but wonder what if we had stood up for him, much like all of these other power 5 schools stood up for their guys. Self at Kansas, Drew at Baylor, and the list goes on. Nevertheless, I always thought it was a petty thing, and the very next year… you could make as many phone calls as you’d like. I have always thought that he could’ve got us at least number 6 by now. Anyway, that’s why I’d like to make the trip to KC. 

Go Hoosiers!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Hey Gang! Just a head's up. A Nor'easter is heading Albany's way. State of Emergency declared tonight until at least Wednesday. I have no clue what that does to travel for anyone including teams but I hope the NCAA has a contingency plan.

The other side of the joke is that virtually every bracket projection I saw had Indiana playing in Orlando.  Why they would not take advantage of a fan base that will travel by sending them to a desirable location instead of a remote outpost, I will never know.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The other side of the joke is that virtually every bracket projection I saw had Indiana playing in Orlando.  Why they would not take advantage of a fan base that will travel by sending them to a desirable location instead of a remote outpost, I will never know.  

I don't think they even track 1st/2nd round site prediction accuracy (lots of Bracketologists don't even give it) because it is so hard to project. Heck, even the regionals are really hard to project. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Albany is supposed to get 15-20 inches of snow and will be several days of digging out. I know we don't play until Friday but at the very least I hope they have a contingency plan. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Albany is supposed to get 15-20 inches of snow and will be several days of digging out. I know we don't play until Friday but at the very least I hope they have a contingency plan. 

Checks notes****

Oh looky there, Gainbridge(Conseco, Bankers Life) Fieldhouse is available Friday night and available to play a game before 2pm on Sunday. 

It would be a shame if we had to move the game there. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think they even track 1st/2nd round site prediction accuracy (lots of Bracketologists don't even give it) because it is so hard to project. Heck, even the regionals are really hard to project. 

I agree on that.  I just think it would have made sense to send IU to Orlando rather than Tennessee given the number of fans that would have travelled for those respective schools.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Checks notes****

Oh looky there, Gainbridge(Conseco, Bankers Life) Fieldhouse is available Friday night and available to play a game before 2pm on Sunday. 

It would be a shame if we had to move the game there. 🤷‍♂️

Yep....maybe think they'll be able to fly in Wednesday night or Thursday I guess but I would hope the NCAA gives strong consideration to making this game moved somewhere. 

And then send Tennessee to Albany? 

If it was a choice between Indiana and Tennessee as to who goes to Orlando, and who goes to Albany, then yeah, Indiana makes more sense to Orlando from a ticket sale perspective.  A whole lot of IU fans that would have travelled to Orlando are going to skip going to Albany.

And, don't forget Miami is in our pod as well.  Orlando would have made perfect sense for them as well.  But, to that point about pods, I suppose Orlando was more about Duke as the 5 seed than it was Tennessee as the 4.  Tha said, Albany already had a good anchor team with UConn. It just doesn't make sense as a location for IU.  

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

As my post above indicates, I've concluded it was less about Tennessee and more about giving Duke what they wanted.  Tennessee was just a lucky benefactor.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If it was a choice between Indiana and Tennessee as to who goes to Orlando, and who goes to Albany, then yeah, Indiana makes more sense to Orlando from a ticket sale perspective.  A whole lot of IU fans that would have travelled to Orlando are going to skip going to Albany.

And, don't forget Miami is in our pod as well.  Orlando would have made perfect sense for them as well.  But, to that point about pods, I suppose Orlando was more about Duke as the 5 seed than it was Tennessee as the 4.  Tha said, Albany already had a good anchor team with UConn. It just doesn't make sense as a location for IU.  

What if instead of some conspiracy to help Duke, they just followed the seeding rules and gave the higher seed the preferred location? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As my post above indicates, I've concluded it was less about Tennessee and more about giving Duke what they wanted.  Tennessee was just a lucky benefactor.  

I think there will be more UT fans in Orlando than IU fans, or at least very close.. And more Indiana fans in Albany, than there would be Tennessee, by quite a bit. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

@5fouls

Probably worth noting Bloomington is closer to Albany than it is to Orlando, and Knoxville is closer to Orlando than it is to Albany.

One is a hell of lot easier, more desirable, and CHEAPER to get to than the other.

And, I apologize to Tennessee, because in looking closer at who went to Orlando, we should have gone there instead of Virginia. 

And, we were seeded as a higher 4 than Viginia was.  

I think there will be more UT fans in Orlando than IU fans, or at least very close.. And more Indiana fans in Albany, than there would be Tennessee, by quite a bit. 

I've retracted Tennessee, if for no other reason than they were seeded ahead of us.  But, Virginia also went to Orlando.  And, I doubt seriously if they will send the level of crowds to Orlando that IU would have.  

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

One is a hell of lot easier, more desirable, and CHEAPER to get to than the other.

And, I apologize to Tennessee, because in looking closer at who went to Orlando, we should have gone there instead of Virginia. 

And, we were seeded as a higher 4 than Viginia was.  

I hear you, but do we know that they look that closely at first weekend sites? I would imagine when determining "priority" for the top 4 seeds, it is either based on distance or on something submitted by the schools but I'm open to contradictory information on that. 

I personally have a bigger problem with the fact that Virginia got the South over us (at least in terms of location) than I do the first round location. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hear you, but do we know that they look that closely at first weekend sites? I would imagine when determining "priority" for the top 4 seeds, it is either based on distance or on something submitted by the schools but I'm open to contradictory information on that. 

I personally have a bigger problem with the fact that Virginia got the South over us (at least in terms of location) than I do the first round location. 

Based on Seth Davis' string of tweets yesterday about the selection process, it's all rules based and a computer spits out the matchups, etc., once they input the 68 teams. 

It's not like a bunch of people sitting around a room trying to find ways to screw certain schools or trying to manipulate TV matchups or ticket sale manipulation. 

At this point, it's very formulaic. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Based on Seth Davis' string of tweets yesterday about the selection process, it's all rules based and a computer spits out the matchups, etc., once they input the 68 teams. 

It's not like a bunch of people sitting around a room trying to find ways to screw certain schools or trying to manipulate TV matchups or ticket sale manipulation. 

At this point, it's very formulaic. 

I actually would prefer it to be the other way.  Not, the 'screw' some team over aspect.  But, some human intervention can come up with some 'good for the tournament' conclusions that a computer can't.  

We need to realize that the committee is looking at more teams than just iU when making decisions. 

I prefer to get rid of the pod system anyway because it seems to lead to discussions like this. Before if you were out in the south you knew it would be in 1 of the 2 sites in the south.

• Thanks 2