Traveling to Albany or Kansas City

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Based on Seth Davis' string of tweets yesterday about the selection process, it's all rules based and a computer spits out the matchups, etc., once they input the 68 teams. 

It's not like a bunch of people sitting around a room trying to find ways to screw certain schools or trying to manipulate TV matchups or ticket sale manipulation. 

At this point, it's very formulaic. 

And I bet the algorithms were totally unbiased!! You should check out the movie Ex Machina before deciding AI is automatically going to be a good thing!

5 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

And I bet the algorithms were totally unbiased!! You should check out the movie Ex Machina before deciding AI is automatically going to be a good thing!

Some half way decent programmer could tell it to make match ups based on the last 100 years of TV data.  It could even go down line ups and coaching staff's to find connections.  The ability of the computer to make match ups more enticing could go on and on.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Some half way decent programmer could tell it to make match ups based on the last 100 years of TV data.  It could even go down line ups and coaching staff's to find connections.  The ability of the computer to make match ups more enticing could go on and on.  

ChatGPT AI has already been exposed!!

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I actually would prefer it to be the other way.  Not, the 'screw' some team over aspect.  But, some human intervention can come up with some 'good for the tournament' conclusions that a computer can't.  

You’d have preferred they make Duke our second round matchup for ratings?

Just now, KoB2011 said:

You’d have preferred they make Duke our second round matchup for ratings?

No.  Virginia is also a 4 seed in Orlando.  They have two 4/5 matchups down there.  We could have been one of the 2.  Orlando, or any first round site, does not automatically flow to a specific regional.    

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

No.  Virginia is also a 4 seed in Orlando.  They have two 4/5 matchups down there.  We could have been one of the 2.  Orlando, or any first round site, does not automatically flow to a specific regional.    

Yes, I get that. But I responded to you saying that you wish they’d have humans intervene for the good of the tournament. You don’t think that’s a reasonable human intervention?

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think there will be more UT fans in Orlando than IU fans, or at least very close.. And more Indiana fans in Albany, than there would be Tennessee, by quite a bit. 

I grew up just south of Orlando. Lots of Hoosiers live down there, and the snowbirds usually stick around until mid May as well. I’d guess that just about anywhere, IU basketball fans would swarm in droves. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I hear you, but do we know that they look that closely at first weekend sites? I would imagine when determining "priority" for the top 4 seeds, it is either based on distance or on something submitted by the schools but I'm open to contradictory information on that. 

I personally have a bigger problem with the fact that Virginia got the South over us (at least in terms of location) than I do the first round location. 

Amen to this. Virginia getting their draw is what ticks me off....although if you can't score 50 points I don't they'll be around long anyway. Anyone that has spent 30 minutes in SW Florida this time of year nods to a Hoosier fan every 30 minutes. Orlando would have been awesome for us with Louisville as the next round prize.

I'm still waiting on this storm that's hitting Albany. Can't believe not one announcement on it from NCAA.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I grew up just south of Orlando. Lots of Hoosiers live down there, and the snowbirds usually stick around until mid May as well. I’d guess that just about anywhere, IU basketball fans would swarm in droves. 

I know of at least a dozen Hoosiers from Marco up to Sanibel that were praying for Orlando....factor in half of Indiana is on Spring Break this week and Orlando would have been a home game too. 

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

I agree. That doesn't mean UT wouldn't match that in that specific location... I believe we will have the same amount of fans in Albany as we would have Orlando though. Jmo

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I know of at least a dozen Hoosiers from Marco up to Sanibel that were praying for Orlando....factor in half of Indiana is on Spring Break this week and Orlando would have been a home game too. 

There’s actually some Hoosiers bars down there. I was in Orlando taking the kids to Disney world when IU beat UK in the round of 32, back in 2016. I was looking for a place to go, and ended up finding an IU alumnus owned bar. It was fantastic! That place was packed, so I asked the guy if this is where all Hoosiers go to watch games? He said that Florida has a large group of transplants from Indiana. I knew there were a lot, but IU is definitely one of the best fan bases in the country and travel as well, if not better than all but a select few. I could see Tennessee football sending an army, but I went with a friend who actually has degrees from both schools to a game in Knoxville a few years back… and even when Indiana isn’t very good, there’s a drastic difference in basketball followers from both schools. They happened to beat Kentucky that night, and that made the 4 hour drive worth it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

There’s actually some Hoosiers bars down there. I was in Orlando taking the kids to Disney world when IU beat UK in the round of 32, back in 2016. I was looking for a place to go, and ended up finding an IU alumnus owned bar. It was fantastic! That place was packed, so I asked the guy if this is where all Hoosiers go to watch games? He said that Florida has a large group of transplants from Indiana. I knew there were a lot, but IU is definitely one of the best fan bases in the country and travel as well, if not better than all but a select few. I could see Tennessee football sending an army, but I went with a friend who actually has degrees from both schools to a game in Knoxville a few years back… and even when Indiana isn’t very good, there’s a drastic difference in basketball followers from both schools. They happened to beat Kentucky that night, and that made the 4 hour drive worth it.

There might have been a Hoosier bar destroyed in Ft Myers this past year. Haven't checked. 

• Like 1

If we are the better team, it doesn’t matter where we play. We will win the game.

If we don’t play to our potential, it doesn’t matter if we have a crowd advantage. The B1G tournament proved that having the most fans in attendance only goes so far.

I would rather play Miami in the second round in a cold weather place. Even though it’s indoors, can’t hurt if they have to muck through cold and snow to get there.

Steve Lappas was on one of the shows this afternoon and confirmed something that I said in a thread yesterday. When it comes down to the 3rd or 4th seeds, the committee is not looking to place your team in the preferred location. He basically said that you just go where they tell you to go.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Steve Lappas was on one of the shows this afternoon and confirmed something that I said in a thread yesterday. When it comes down to the 3rd or 4th seeds, the committee is not looking to place your team in the preferred location. He basically said that you just go where they tell you to go.

Then they should not promote that they are.  All we've heard over the last few years is the Top 4 seeds will get preferred locations.  That should apply all the way down to the 2nd to last 4 seed.  No, IU should not have gotten preferred location over Purdue, or Kansa, or even Xavier if they are going to seed them as a 3.  But, we SHOULD have received preferred location over Virginia and did not.  That's not what they promote will happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Then they should not promote that they are.  All we've heard over the last few years is the Top 4 seeds will get preferred locations.  That should apply all the way down to the 2nd to last 4 seed.  No, IU should not have gotten preferred location over Purdue, or Kansa, or even Xavier if they are going to seed them as a 3.  But, we SHOULD have received preferred location over Virginia and did not.  That's not what they promote will happen.

We don't actually know that we didn't receive preferred location, do we?

I fully understand you (and a few others) prefer Orlando, but I don't believe that is how they determine preferred location. It is very likely as simple as the fact that we are closer to Albany than we are to Orlando. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We don't actually know that we didn't receive preferred location, do we?

I fully understand you (and a few others) prefer Orlando, but I don't believe that is how they determine preferred location. It is very likely as simple as the fact that we are closer to Albany than we are to Orlando. 

I am still not buying we won't have more in Albany than we would Orlando. That's great there are some Hoosiers retired that live in FL.... pretty sure that pales in comparison to the amount of alumni are on the East Coast. And I am still kicking around the idea of catching a 6AM flight to Albany, I wouldn't be any more interested if it were Orlando. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I am still not buying we won't have more in Albany than we would Orlando. That's great there are some Hoosiers retired that live in FL.... pretty sure that pales in comparison to the amount of alumni are on the East Coast. And I am still kicking around the idea of catching a 6AM flight to Albany, I wouldn't be any more interested if it were Orlando. 

I agree.

I'd also add the Spring Break point.... people have already made plans for Spring Break if it's this week if they're going anywhere.