Transfers with IU Interest

4 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

So, I tried to quickly catch up in this thread this morning. RTZ dropped a couple of hint bombs, but no one knows exactly who he is referring to other than it not being Shedrick. 

Love? Battle?

Those are the two most obvious choices since Ledlum set an official visit so it wouldn't make sense to commit before coming on that visit.

Yes, all of that. 

Just now, IndySportsPartizan said:

As of a few days ago, there have not been any back channel discussions coming from IU's end.. I can tell you with confidence that Essegian would transfer to IU if he was told he as wanted. He is happy at Wisc, but IU has always been his dream school. This same discussion will occur next off season and the one after as well. 

Hey no issue with you coming to own those words. Appreciate it. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

Love would be a huge get.  I'm not concerned about the bad shots or forcing things.  Hell, I'm not even concerned if he had an attitude this year.  You don't think Mike Woodson has had to deal with attitudes and entitlement in the NBA about 10,000 times?  He's got the respect of his players, knows what they need and need to hear, and he has shown that in his time in the NBA and already at the college level with X and laying down the law last year in that nightmare up in Evanston.  Throw the bag at Love and get this team to the top of the big 10 again and hopefully Sweet 16+

I bolded your statement that really means something between a kid and his or her teacher/coach. I've been teaching HS for 28 years and I have had my fair share of those type of kids. You take the time to show a kid you genuinely care about them as a person, no matter their past history, faults, accolades, whatsoever, that's a hard bond  to break. Building those relationships, between students/athletes whom "you'd deem normal" or the critically challenging students/athletes, has made teaching very rewarding and satisfying all these years. IMO, I think Coach Woodson is the man these players need.

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

Love would be a huge get.  I'm not concerned about the bad shots or forcing things.  Hell, I'm not even concerned if he had an attitude this year.  You don't think Mike Woodson has had to deal with attitudes and entitlement in the NBA about 10,000 times?  He's got the respect of his players, knows what they need and need to hear, and he has shown that in his time in the NBA and already at the college level with X and laying down the law last year in that nightmare up in Evanston.  Throw the bag at Love and get this team to the top of the big 10 again and hopefully Sweet 16+

Welcome to HSN!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I bolded your statement that really means something between a kid and his or her teacher/coach. I've been teaching HS for 28 years and I have had my fair share of those type of kids. You take the time to show a kid you genuinely care about them as a person, no matter their past history, faults, accolades, whatsoever, that's a hard bond  to break. Building those relationships, between students/athletes whom "you'd deem normal" or the critically challenging students/athletes, has made teaching very rewarding and satisfying all these years. IMO, I think Coach Woodson is the man these players need.

I've been an elementary teacher for 13 years now, and I couldn't agree more.  If you demand respect, GIVE RESPECT, demand discipline and have high standards, that's what kids want (if they tell you they do or not).  Kids need all of those things to learn to be successful in any aspect of life, not only sports.  I believe Mike Woodson provides that in many ways, even with the athletes who may have strayed in the past from the lack of those principles. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

I've been an elementary teacher for 13 years now, and I couldn't agree more.  If you demand respect, GIVE RESPECT, demand discipline and have high standards, that's what kids want (if they tell you they do or not).  Kids need all of those things to learn to be successful in any aspect of life, not only sports.  I believe Mike Woodson provides that in many ways, even with the athletes who may have strayed in the past from the lack of those principles. 

....I fully believe that many of these kids in regards to men, desperately seek the love and approval of caring male figure. I don't know how many times, I find out the dad's in jail, the kid never knew him or deceased. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....I fully believe that many of these kids in regards to men, desperately seek the love and approval of caring male figure. I don't know how many times, I find out the dad's in jail, the kid never knew him or deceased. 

Or lives in the home and beats/abuses/downgrades their child. 

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Or lives in the home and beats/abuses/downgrades their child. 

...you know! Way too many terrible stories that these kids live with on a daily basis. Most of them are just too shocking. This is the one thing that I have learned from teaching so many years. I don't rush to judge or react to a student if I have better idea of his/her background (at least, what we are allowed to know).

Sorry guys, I know this is board is for portal information, but it does also relate to how kids also can over come these obstacles.

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

...you know! Way too many terrible stories that these kids live with on a daily basis. Most of them are just. This is the one thing that I have learned from teaching so many years. I don't rush to judge or react to a student if I have better idea of his/her background (at least, what we are allowed to know).

Sorry guys, I know this is board is for portal information, but it does also relate to how kids also can over come these obstacles.

My Mom owned a bus route. Many of those kids who needed attention got it from her. She was great at knowing what type of attention they needed. Most of those kids still call my Mom to this day. Sorry also. Now about these transfer guys. 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

As of a few days ago, there have not been any back channel discussions coming from IU's end.. I can tell you with confidence that Essegian would transfer to IU if he was told he as wanted. He is happy at Wisc, but IU has always been his dream school. This same discussion will occur next off season and the one after as well. I know some don't think he is good enough, but I disagree. First team All B1G Freshman. 12ppg, 40% from 3, 90% from FT. 

I never thought he was going to leave Wisconsin in the first place. I also don't know if I'd characterize him as a "stud". Not yet, anyway. The only discrepancy between what you post here, and what I have heard up here in NE Indiana, is that Michigan was his dream school growing up, not IU.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I never thought he was going to leave Wisconsin in the first place. I also don't know if I'd characterize him as a "stud". Not yet, anyway. The only discrepancy between what you post here, and what I have heard up here in NE Indiana, is that Michigan was his dream school growing up, not IU.

He was first team All conference FR, Steub. 

avged 13p 4r a game in the conference as a TR FR.. that's pretty good. 

• Like 1

If we can get Love or another higher end guy quickly, the momentum benefit can be huge.  Some guys just don’t want to be the first but it can then flip from hesitance to fear of missing out (FOMO).    If you’re sitting on Love and Sparks, other guys may want to join before the music stops playing and they are left without a chair.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I have no idea so I’m asking? How would a Love commit affect other dominos falling?

From my perspective, if we get Love, that tells the bigs who the starting backcourt is going to be, which tells them the playmakers that are going to be getting them the ball and what the offense is going to evolve into from this past season.  Players want to be put into positions where they will be able to succeed and be able to use their strengths.  If another commit is a player who can do that for you, you're more inclined to sign with that team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

From my perspective, if we get Love, that tells the bigs who the starting backcourt is going to be, which tells them the playmakers that are going to be getting them the ball and what the offense is going to evolve into from this past season.  Players want to be put into positions where they will be able to succeed and be able to use their strengths.  If another commit is a player who can do that for you, you're more inclined to sign with that team. 

Thanks and welcome aboard!