Transfers with IU Interest

The NCAA is desperate to appear they still have some semblance of control and remain relevant. They will agree to anything at this point. Eventually it will go so far they won't be able to do anything about it.  That leaves it up to the schools to end the madness. That won't happen until the elites get burned enough to make it not worth the effort.

Today we have schools in bidding wars with unreal dollar amounts in play.We are seeing cases of 'none and done' players. The portal is out of control. In some cases virtually entire teams are leaving when the season is over. Next step - no requirement to go to class? 

It's looking a lot like the beginning of the end for college sports.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

The NCAA is desperate to appear they still have some semblance of control and remain relevant. They will agree to anything at this point. Eventually it will go so far they won't be able to do anything about it.  That leaves it up to the schools to end the madness. That won't happen until the elites get burned enough to make it not worth the effort.

Today we have schools in bidding wars with unreal dollar amounts in play.We are seeing cases of 'none and done' players. The portal is out of control. In some cases virtually entire teams are leaving when the season is over. Next step - no requirement to go to class? 

I believe that the NCAA will need to introduce some type of Salary Cap.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Well that was depressing. 

• Haha 1

Since we are all just throwing opinions 

- while I can understand wanting it to be how it was, it was never fair for the schools to take in millions, coaches getting millions and for the athlete to just “be happy with your scholarship”  if the coaches were making normal salaries and that money was going back to the school as a way to keep education down for all, maybe. But not when they did what they did and just run up endowments and pay $5 million a year for coaches while also raising education costs through the roof. 

- the ncaa can’t do half the things people suggest or they will lose the last leg they have. The schools know it too. They can’t put a “salary cap, stop transfers, stop the go fund me’s, etc.” as soon as they do, they are right back in court and it will end with the athletes as employees. Then you have unions, laws that protect employee and employee all coming into play, etc. 

- this won’t be the end of college sports. The schools would lose way too much money from both the sports themselves, campus life, enrollment and more. 

the NCAA (which is just representing the schools so it is them) screwed up their chance to have it different. No going back now. You don’t have to like it but reality. 

what everyone needs to do is ask themselves if they believe in capitalism and free markets. If you do, this will be handled by that. If you don’t, well…. Good luck finding a solution because that is ultimately what should bring this into a system that works but will take some time to get there. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier83 said:

Remember when getting a free education was payment enough to play college ball, those were the days 

My youngest son was an All-American and a top 20 prospect in his sport coming out of HS, and had to be careful about even signing autographs that could violate NCAA rules. Basically, he couldn’t profit from anything as an amateur athlete or risk his eligibility. 
The trade off was a scholarship and a great education, which has served him well. Hard to believe how far college athletics has slipped in just a few short years.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

My youngest son was an All-American and a top 20 prospect in his sport coming out of HS, and had to be careful about even signing autographs that could violate NCAA rules. Basically, he couldn’t profit from anything as an amateur athlete or risk his eligibility. 
The trade off was a scholarship and a great education, which has served him well. Hard to believe how far college athletics has slipped in just a few short years.

Getting harder and harder to get excited about college sports with the way had went down hill the last year or so.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Initial79 said:

Since we are all just throwing opinions 

- while I can understand wanting it to be how it was, it was never fair for the schools to take in millions, coaches getting millions and for the athlete to just “be happy with your scholarship”  if the coaches were making normal salaries and that money was going back to the school as a way to keep education down for all, maybe. But not when they did what they did and just run up endowments and pay $5 million a year for coaches while also raising education costs through the roof. 

- the ncaa can’t do half the things people suggest or they will lose the last leg they have. The schools know it too. They can’t put a “salary cap, stop transfers, stop the go fund me’s, etc.” as soon as they do, they are right back in court and it will end with the athletes as employees. Then you have unions, laws that protect employee and employee all coming into play, etc. 

- this won’t be the end of college sports. The schools would lose way too much money from both the sports themselves, campus life, enrollment and more. 

the NCAA (which is just representing the schools so it is them) screwed up their chance to have it different. No going back now. You don’t have to like it but reality. 

what everyone needs to do is ask themselves if they believe in capitalism and free markets. If you do, this will be handled by that. If you don’t, well…. Good luck finding a solution because that is ultimately what should bring this into a system that works but will take some time to get there. 

I agree about this sorting itself out some in the coming years etc but it will take a lot of time and it’s going to probably get much uglier before it gets better. There has always been the haves and have nots with college athletics. But this isn’t pure capitalism with what is happening with college sports. It isn’t exactly a free market. A lot of forces influence the haves and have nots. It’s difficult because there are very little rules so the market can be upended and heavily manipulated because everyone isn’t competing on a level playing field. While I’m fully in favor of student athletes being able to make money off their name and likeness while going to school…it’s pretty clear a lot of what is happening is just free hand out to sign with a school that and has no tie to the athlete actually bringing value to the entities that are signing them. 

I always felt like the NIL should have been tied very specific sources but there was never anything put in place before it became a free for all. Like it totally would have made sense for kids to earn a percentage of sales for their Jersey or T-shirt sales. For appearances and such but man this stuff going on right now…it’s just the bag man now doesn’t have to work in the shadows. I hope it gets worked out…but it certainly is less about student athletes and now basically semi-pro…with that certainly will be both good and bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

To me that story just showcases how silly the old rules were. 

Bottom line: This benefits the athletes. They work their a$$es off so that students and alumni can be entertained watching them represent the university. Why shouldn’t they be able to make a little money doing that? 

Edited by Crimson324
Profanity?
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Crimson324 said:

To me that story just showcases how silly the old rules were. 

Bottom line: This benefits the athletes. They work their a$$es off so that students and alumni can be entertained watching them represent the university. Why shouldn’t they be able to make a little money doing that? 

Yup. I agree with you. The old “rules” were draconian. Colleges got in trouble because someone dared to buy a kid a lunch.  They were almost treated as property rather than people

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Getting harder and harder to get excited about college sports with the way had went down hill the lady year or so.

I agree that College Football has went to the gutter. I use to watch every Saturday 11am to 12pm. Now I can barley sit through a game.  The post season has no intrige at all. Most the games are foregone conclusions

IMO College Basketball is better than its been since the 90s.Players actually staying in school due to NIL. Teams like IU can reload/rebuild every year due to the portal. It sucks for the mid majors like my second team USI who lost our best returning player to portal but it is what it is. I think overall it's a net positive for Basketball

16 minutes ago, IU247 said:

I think some which like it how it was need to understand that system sucked too. Don’t glorify it because it benefited you and what you wanted sports to be.

Also remember, doing those times years ago, it made sense. The schools were not making millions and a scholarship was great. This is the part the DDs of the world can’t get wrapped around. 

I say again, nobody can tell me how it was fair the schools pocketed all this money. It was not some noble thing to get a scholarship when they earned millions for the school and coaches.  They had a chance to fix it, fought it and this is why it is the way it is now. 

now… women's soccer, baseball, softball or something like that, sure, the scholarship is a nice offset.  But even then, the old rules on lunches etc were just not good.

it will work itself out faster than many think. Or it ends up like pro baseball which many still like but lots hate as only a few teams can win. 

I do hate the “go fund me” and think that is just wrong. True NIL is not here due to the schools.  But again, the schools don’t want to truly pay them or they become employees. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1