Transfers with IU Interest

29 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Our apparent recent lack of activity does give credence to the theory that we may be targeting a couple of guys who are currently testing the draft waters. For instance, it's theoretically possible that we have a soft understanding with a Devo Davis that he should go through the full draft process get feedback on what he needs to improve, with the idea that he would then come to IU to receive NBA caliber coaching and training.

🙏

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Initial79 said:

2 small things I heard and read today. Since news is slow

IU pushing more on Devo Davis to enter portal? Came up before on here I believe and pushed again today 🤷‍♂️

IU only wants to fill 2 of the 3 and bank 3rd. 

Arkansas pays better and is superior in so many ways, staff, facilities, all the extra experience stuff.  

Arkansas stud player in the draft but my pull out and transfer to IU.  

Me trying to make sense of it all.  

jackie-chan-confused.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

Our apparent recent lack of activity does give credence to the theory that we may be targeting a couple of guys who are currently testing the draft waters. For instance, it's theoretically possible that we have a soft understanding with a Devo Davis that he should go through the full draft process get feedback on what he needs to improve, with the idea that he would then come to IU to receive NBA caliber coaching and training.

Doesn't he have all the and more at Arkansas?  

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Arkansas pays better and is superior in so many ways, staff, facilities, all the extra experience stuff.  

jackie-chan-confused.jpg

I gave a couple of theories.  I didn’t create the rumors.

There are always exceptions to the rule. Like when you find that 3 with a 10. They have their reasons but might not make sense. Especially if they are not rich 😂 

I can pretty confidently say we have been poking there and maybe that is all it is. One sided from us. But this does seem to be where time is going right now. Finding guys that we can pull to us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

jackie-chan-confused.jpg

Part of your problem is with the assumption that recruits agree with your assessment. I'd bet that plenty don't. 

7 hours ago, spe317 said:

We should be more like Arkansas. 

Mike Woodson needs to

show more man nipple. 

Give the people

what they want. 

Ugh... Nothing will ever drive me away from watching IU basketball, but that would have me leaping for the remote at the final buzzer 😉

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I have a feeling this rumor is just going to lead to trouble. We are all so nervous to get excited for this program to be reawoken under Woody…this year as a gap year from the potential of the 24 and 25 classes is crucial to keep momentum building.

I ain't nervous.

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I ain't nervous.

Seriously. Ware, Malik, XJ, Gallo and (fill in the blank) is not a horrible situation. 

If XJ doesn’t get his waiver then I might start getting nervous. 

I get that it’s easy to get caught up in shiny mid-major transfers. For example, Knecht played 2 decent teams last year: Houston and Baylor. He scored 8 and 12 points in those games. Nowhere close to his average and he’s not known as a defender. Would he even start over Gallo?  Possibly, but let’s not act like he’d be a sure fire starter. 

I’ll also predict that Cupps is going to play more than we think. Did you see that he played 5 games in Italy a few weeks ago with his Ohio team? He had 24 assists in those games and zero turnovers….and with a 24 second shot clock.

We’ll get 2 more guys. Possibly 3. Based on this staff’s history of pulling rabbits out of their hat late in the game, I predict one of those will be a guy that we will get over-excited about and this last week will seem like a bad dream. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Seriously. Ware, Malik, XJ, Gallo and (fill in the blank) is not a horrible situation. 

I get that it’s easy to get caught up in shiny mid-major transfers. For example, Knecht played 2 decent teams last year: Houston and Baylor. He scored 8 and 12 points in those games. Nowhere close to his average and he’s not known as a defender. Would he even start over Gallo?  Possibly, but let’s not act like he’d be a sure fire starter. 

I’ll also predict that Cupps is going to play more than we think. Did you see that he played 5 games in Italy a few weeks ago with his Ohio team? He had 24 assists in those games and zero turnovers….and with a 24 second shot clock.

We’ll get 2 more guys. Possibly 3. Based on this staff’s history of pulling rabbits out of their hat late in the game, I predict one of those will be a guy that we will get over-excited about and this last week will seem like a bad dream. 

It is funny how we react to losing on guys that no one had ever heard of a month ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Per 48 minutes, Ware had over 12 boards and just under 4 blocks. Both of those numbers are higher than TJD's junior year per 48's. I think people are underestimating how high this kid's floor is.

I'm sure not all will agree, but I'd take X over last year's JHS. For me it's not that close.

I'd take a sophomore Malik over Race.

I'd take this years Galloway over last year's.

As long as someone, maybe even Banks, can outperform Kopp, we should be better at 4 of the 5 starting spots. And still very good at that 5th spot. I'll take it.

• Like 7

Found this in an article about why Cleveland entered the portal.

“Guys like Cleveland are often lured into the portal by promises or interest given from coaches at other schools, with potential of how much NIL money may be involved. How it works isn’t technically illegal, but a coach can always be recruiting other players and talk to a Grassroots coach or even a close relative and basically say “if Player A would get into the transfer portal we would take him and if he came here our collective might be able to pay around X.”

Edited by IU Scott

10 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Per 48 minutes, Ware had over 12 boards and just under 4 blocks. Both of those numbers are higher than TJD's junior year per 48's. I think people are underestimating how high this kid's floor is.

I'm sure not all will agree, but I'd take X over last year's JHS. For me it's not that close.

I'd take a sophomore Malik over Race.

I'd take this years Galloway over last year's.

As long as someone, maybe even Banks, can outperform Kopp, we should be better at 4 of the 5 starting spots. And still very good at that 5th spot. I'll take it.

I’ve considered starting a thread called ‘my team is on the floor’

I agree with you and @tdhoosieron all of this, however I do think that this is far from over. Wish I could find one of those videos of TJD saying ‘ I said we’re not done yet!’

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 2

Maybe a dumb question, has JHS hired an agent?  I think he is gone but if I am a 1-3 coming from the portal, that is a question I have.  The roster looks a whole lot different if he and XJ come back and if I couldn't get a 100% answer on that, it would give me pause as a 2/3.

(And before anyone jumps on me and says there is no chance, I actually agree.  Is that the perception out there among players though?)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Maybe a dumb question, has JHS hired an agent?  I think he is gone but if I am a 1-3 coming from the portal, that is a question I have.  The roster looks a whole lot different if he and XJ come back and if I couldn't get a 100% answer on that, it would give me pause as a 2/3.

(And before anyone jumps on me and says there is no chance, I actually agree.  Is that the perception out there among players though?)

JHS gave up his college eligibility and can't come back

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

JHS gave up his college eligibility and can't come back

Ok, wasn't sure on that.  Most of the mocks I have seen have him going around 15 so I thought any chance of that would be less than a fraction of a percent.  Just wondered if there was any chance that might be scaring guys off.

I remember about a month ago when we finally put the pieces together on Xavier's waiver. The two games on schedule that were exempt from the 30% threshold. The answer had been staring all of us in the face for weeks while we were number crunching. Staff knew all along.

My point is this. We missed that one and I'm pretty confident the answer is going to be revealed in time. Just going to have be patient. I think what our staff has done in 24 months deserves a little trust. 

Edit-what I mean by patience is there has to be a plan in place for transfers. I just don't think were seeing it yet.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 6