Transfers with IU Interest

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

Miller Kopp's mom has some explaining to do....:coffee: I kid. Wow I thought I was watching Miller Kopp. Long lost brother.

My understanding from reading a little is his handles are a little better and little taller. He is listed as a guard in many places but 6’7” to 6’9” who also shows some post moves.

wouldn’t be a terrible off bench guy. Feel like they have a few like him but they want that other “scorer” the most. 

16 hours ago, Initial79 said:

See, now this goes back to your argument on the facilities. You said I was taking too hard of a stance. Now you say “has nothing to do with we get a recruit or not” 

again, this all changed during covid when coaches could not travel and has stayed. Also, with more and more recruiting rules changing, social media is the number one way coaches and recruits silently communicate.  They don’t just follow random people and they don’t just add guys because they visit. They are being taught how to use this. 

This applies differently to different sports, for example, if I am not allowed to contact a recruit during a certain time but I can follow and like their posts. This is a silent nod that I am interested. Then recruit shows their level of interest by how deeply they engage in return. If recruit goes to a camp now days, the coaches will spend a good amount of time taking about social media during their q&a. 

Honestly, I don’t want to debate or beat this dead horse anymore than others do. I would just like to be able to post - “hey, Jacob Groves from OU might be someone fans should look at. Hulls is following him, few more staff did recently and he does kind of fit as a backup wing/3p guy.” Without - “you know that doesn’t mean anything, our insiders already said XYZ.”

Fyi… that wasn’t a made up thing. Have also seen some activity on Mgbako- minor but is there and very recent. 

I also agree fully with 5fouls - this doesn’t mean he is a lock, etc. but they are on the radar and probably talking. no different than Rabby’s hot boards that end up striking out.

I didn't say anything about the facilities, haven't participated in that discussion.

I also don't need to be lectured on social media - I work with marketing departments from some of the biggest brands in the world. I'm very well versed on the subject.

Again, it's a lag indicator for interest. It's interesting and may or may not mean something with a given recruit, but it isn't the reason we are getting or not getting recruits. Even if 100% of a given recruitment took place via Instagram  hypothetically (following each other, liking posts, DMs), social media isn't the reason we landed that recruit. It's nothing more than a medium for how we are connecting with those recruits. What we can "see" on social media (because we don't see DMs) could mean something (lag indicator) or it could be as simple as guys in the small world of college basketball interacting.

I think it's interesting to know what's going on with regards to social media and hope you keep sharing it, but to be very clear it is not anything more than a lag indicator. You acting like it's gospel is just as wrong as the folks that act like it isn't relevant to even know what is going on. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I really feel like all the angst goes away if we land a 2/3 for people to get happy about.  Not saying we get him, but if like the Vandy kid picked here everyone is suddenly pretty happy with what we have IMO.

Yeah Lawrence is the only one on that list that moves the needle. Salis or Ali would be desperation.

28 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I didn't say anything about the facilities, haven't participated in that discussion.

I also don't need to be lectured on social media - I work with marketing departments from some of the biggest brands in the world. I'm very well versed on the subject.

Again, it's a lag indicator for interest. It's interesting and may or may not mean something with a given recruit, but it isn't the reason we are getting or not getting recruits. Even if 100% of a given recruitment took place via Instagram  hypothetically (following each other, liking posts, DMs), social media isn't the reason we landed that recruit. It's nothing more than a medium for how we are connecting with those recruits. What we can "see" on social media (because we don't see DMs) could mean something (lag indicator) or it could be as simple as guys in the small world of college basketball interacting.

I think it's interesting to know what's going on with regards to social media and hope you keep sharing it, but to be very clear it is not anything more than a lag indicator. You acting like it's gospel is just as wrong as the folks that act like it isn't relevant to even know what is going on. 

In the days of NIL I’m also sure it’s a practice of common courtesy amongst players to follow fellow players back. In many cases a player’s number of followers can determine their endorsement value. If, as a program, we are portraying that we are of top of the NIL game it may be a strategy for the staff to ask players to follow recruits on social media. It’s walking the walk vs talking the talk. 

some may be gauging this activity as interest from recruits, when it may just be a display of our grasp of the utilization of social media. Or it may be both. 

But if I’m a coach in this environment, I’m asking my players to help foster these relationships 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I say get  Lawerance  and a one year transfer then recruit 24 to the fullest. Don’t like settling

.......I 100% feel the reason why things have been so quiet lately is because Coach Woodson doesn't want to settle. Because of this, he and his coaching staff are learning a lot about the highs and lows of NCAA recruiting. JMO

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

242 guys have declared for the draft.  Clearly a bunch of them are coming back to school.  And every year some of them transfer.  College players who wish to remain eligible must withdraw by Wednesday, May 31.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2023-nba-draft-242-players-declare-for-draft-led-by-french-star-victor-wembanyama-gonzagas-drew-timme/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.......I 100% feel the reason why things have been so quiet lately is because Coach Woodson doesn't want to settle. Because of this, he and his coaching staff are learning a lot about the highs and lows of NCAA recruiting. JMO

Exactly... And I think Woody looks at both ends of the floor when evaluating talent... 

• Like 2