Next year's leadership

Woody and team are gathering talent and athleticism. No doubt. 

A lot of new faces, a lot of talent.

Who do you expect to be the leader of this team? 

The obvious 3 choices are XJ, Galloway or "committee" (which usually means a team lacks leadership).

Last year it was undoubtedly Trayces team.

I have to thinknit is going to be XJ, with Trey playing a strong Robin to Batman.

It's always interesting. Every season has its own team dynamics. It's one of the real questions I have going in.

Who has the internal strength and respect to get all these "dudes" on the same page?

The great teams are typically lead by players, not just coaches.

Thoughts?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

Who do you expect to be the leader of this team? 

I have to thinknit is going to be XJ, with Trey playing a strong Robin.

This would be my thought as well. Don't know the new guys well enough to know if there is a 3rd that joins them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

Actually I think Anthony Walker and Leal will step up into supporting roles as leaders.

Interesting. Leal has been well documented as a very hard worker. Which shows great character considering his limited playing time.

But does that give him the voice and respect to really grab the bull by the horns? Not sure.

Walker is a piece of the puzzle, a good piece. Not seeing him in any leadership role however. I grant that he does at least bring final 4 experience, and that adds cache.

33 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Interesting. Leal has been well documented as a very hard worker. Which shows great character considering his limited playing time.

But does that give him the voice and respect to really grab the bull by the horns? Not sure.

Walker is a piece of the puzzle, a good piece. Not seeing him in any leadership role however. I grant that he does at least bring final 4 experience, and that adds cache.

I think Walker will win over the team with his personality. It's win first. Plus, as you said he has the experience. I realize this is a minority opinion, but we'll see how it plays out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

A lot of new faces…no matter who it is let’s hope this team gels. We’ve seen what can happen (OSU last year) with talent but no leadership.

Exactly why I posed the question.  Xavier has the ability and personality. But he has shown real lapses in the past.

I think he has grown a lot and learned. Especially sitting next to the coaches for a season. I am expecting a lot from him in terms of leadership, even more than game performance.

We will need it.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

A lot of new faces…no matter who it is let’s hope this team gels. We’ve seen what can happen (OSU last year) with talent but no leadership.

Who did OSU have last year similar to X or Trey? Widely accepted that a college basketball team is only as good as its guards, and that experience goes a long way. Those two guys have the characteristics that make good leaders. OSU had a talented, but freshman point guard. Key was probably their best experienced player and he was hurt.

I don’t think IU will have the problems the Buckeyes did last season 

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Who did OSU have last year similar to X or Trey? Widely accepted that a college basketball team is only as good as its guards, and that experience goes a long way. Those two guys have the characteristics that make good leaders. OSU had a talented, but freshman point guard. Key was probably their best experienced player and he was hurt.

I don’t think IU will have the problems the Buckeyes did last season 

Well if we don’t mesh well as a team…have jealous players…locker room cancers..etc then we will end up with a season like theirs…I’m not saying that will happen but without good leadership I can guarantee we won’t be nearly as good as we should be on paper…that’s my only point.

Great question and topic…

X is the first blush answer. He’s got the game and experience to be a leader. Glass half full says he’s also matured and understands the position he’s in; he won’t take it lightly as he knows how special/unique this situation is.

Trey has a nice mix of on court intensity and off court charisma and fun to keep his teammates engaged.

And Walker’s experience, especially in the tournament, is invaluable as it will (hopefully) help pace everyone, especially the younger guys, for a long season. 

Cupps is my dark horse. Probably won’t be a leader per Dr, but there’s something about his command of the pg position that will help with the overall character and grit of the team. 

• Like 4