2025 Class Rankings and Discussion

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2023 at 1:25 PM, Madison22 said:

Interesting.  He's a Top 10 recruit with one unofficial visit to Indiana already.  2025 guard from Michigan.  6'4" 205 lbs. 

I thought both sides had moved on.  Then this popped up yesterday on his Twitter. 

I agree, gnet550, it's hard to know what to make of this.  I've read no chatter anywhere (I'm not an insider, tho).  

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4Y1VomXoAAb6kJ?format=jpg&name=small

He’s apparently visiting this weekend along with Sisley, Sanon, and Tiller. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Question…if you are a 25 kid do you think Mike Woodson will make it to your senior year? Guy is 65….we honestly think he is coaching til he is 70….if he even keeps his job til your commitment. I don’t see any of these kids making an early commitment to IU…

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Question…if you are a 25 kid do you think Mike Woodson will make it to your senior year? Guy is 65….we honestly think he is coaching til he is 70….if he even keeps his job til your commitment. I don’t see any of these kids making an early commitment to IU…

Come on. Now we really are just throwing shit at the wall. That's a nothing burger.

Rick Pitino, Jimmy L, Izzo, Pearl is 63, Leonard Hamilton, Calipari, Altman, Barnes, McCaffery.

Roy Williams, K, Boeheim, Huggins

This is a list i threw together in less than a minute. sure there are plenty more. Also, there is a thing of transfer portal. No one is worried about 4 years from now anymore with that in your pocket. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Come on. Now we really are just throwing shit at the wall. That's a nothing burger.

Rick Pitino, Jimmy L, Izzo, Pearl is 63, Leonard Hamilton, Calipari, Altman, Barnes, McCaffery.

Roy Williams, K, Boeheim, Huggins

This is a list i threw together in less than a minute. sure there are plenty more. Also, there is a thing of transfer portal. No one is worried about 4 years from now anymore with that in your pocket. 

Be fair…Woody is a far inferior and less accomplished “college” coach than any of those. He has much much less experience in the college game and even less success. Those you listed are well established pilars of college basketball….Woody is the outlier of that group and honestly is nothing like them except for his age. So like I said….combine age and success….can you blame kids from shying away from Woody?? Also do you want to BUILD a program or bring in a couple OAD/Portal guys who are basically here for NIL only. I want to build a program full of 3-4 year guys with an occasional star OAD/portal guy. That’s how you SUSTAIN success. I apologize if me asking these questions makes it sound like I hate Woody I don’t…but I believe it absolutely has to be considered given why we are struggling with filling out recruiting classes and having to wait late in the cycle to get commitments.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Be fair…Woody is a far inferior and less accomplished “college” coach than any of those. He has much much less experience in the college game and even less success. Those you listed are well established pilars of college basketball….Woody is the outlier of that group and honestly is nothing like them except for his age. So like I said….combine age and success….can you blame kids from shying away from Woody?? Also do you want to BUILD a program or bring in a couple OAD/Portal guys who are basically here for NIL only. I want to build a program full of 3-4 year guys with an occasional star OAD/portal guy. That’s how you SUSTAIN success. I apologize if me asking these questions makes it sound like I hate Woody I don’t…but I believe it absolutely has to be considered given why we are struggling with filling out recruiting classes and having to wait late in the cycle to get commitments.

Your comment was recruits wouldn’t want to come to iu because of Woody’s age. I gave examples where that isn’t an issue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Your comment was recruits wouldn’t want to come to iu because of Woody’s age. I gave examples where that isn’t an issue. 

My post above that referred to the fact that he might not even be the coach in two years…so I apologize if I didn’t put those together. My point is he is struggling…and he is old and had a short shelf life to begin with. It seems reasonable for recruits to question if he will be here for 25…much less 2029 when they will be graduating. If kids don’t want to be here til they graduate…then is that the majority of guys we want to be recruiting?? I get the occasional one off special guy but this program is going nowhere without dedicated kids who want to represent IU. So I apologize…that is what I’m driving at. Hard to commit to a coach that you don’t feel confident will be there for your entire career.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

That’s where the Fife coach in waiting scenario was going to come into play, right ?

15 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

That’s where the Fife coach in waiting scenario was going to come into play, right ?

I think in some ways yes. A senior assistant coach on staff that could take over the reigns and already have a report with the kids. Similar to Coach k and Scheyer and Williams and Davis at UNC. It doesn’t have to be announced, it doesn’t have to have a timeline but to look kids in the eye and parents and say we have a plan in place if that was to happen and if the kid is already happy with the staff etc nothing should change for them. 

47 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think in some ways yes. A senior assistant coach on staff that could take over the reigns and already have a report with the kids. Similar to Coach k and Scheyer and Williams and Davis at UNC. It doesn’t have to be announced, it doesn’t have to have a timeline but to look kids in the eye and parents and say we have a plan in place if that was to happen and if the kid is already happy with the staff etc nothing should change for them. 

And like with Mike Hopkins at Syracuse until Boeheim decided to coach till he was 80…

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...