Poll: IU 2023-24 Win Total

With the roster as it's currently constructed, how many games do you think IU will win this year?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. With the roster as it's currently constructed, how many games do you think IU will win this year?

On 7/29/2023 at 7:06 PM, dgambill said:

I almost did…lost a lot of leadership from last year. A lot of our identity…a lot of moving parts and not a lot of continuity. It could go gangbusters or it could go bust (see Ohio St last year). I think 21-22 games.

I'll second this, but also I think we'll start hitting on all cylinders late in the season. 

It's tough for a young/new team to come out of the gates firing and we have some tough non-conference games. I'll predict that we lose at least one in the empire classic (to Texas or Uconn), we'll drop one to Auburn, and I'm not so sure we'll beat Kansas - even at home. I think we'll also lose some head scratchers in January (we always do) and will need to make up some games in Feb/March to hit 20. So, I'll compare this to a young Izzo team, in the sense that they'll start off slow/inconsistent and finish strong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I'll second this, but also I think we'll start hitting on all cylinders late in the season. 

It's tough for a young/new team to come out of the gates firing and we have some tough non-conference games. I'll predict that we lose at least one in the empire classic (to Texas or Uconn), we'll drop one to Auburn, and I'm not so sure we'll beat Kansas - even at home. I think we'll also lose some head scratchers in January (we always do) and will need to make up some games in Feb/March to hit 20. So, I'll compare this to a young Izzo team, in the sense that they'll start off slow/inconsistent and finish strong. 

Not just asking you, but I'm not sure I see Auburn as one we "will drop" or even probably will drop.

They're probably starting three players 6'4 and under - those three are talented but so are the guys we'll match up with them. I think upfront we will cause issues for them with our depth because I just don't see much beyond their starters.

Definitely not an easy game, but I just don't see why would should be feeling like it's likely a loss heading into it. 

I think we'll drop the Auburn game too because they have more guys back than was anticipated. We've got a bunch of new pieces to put together, the game is really early in the season, and it's essentially a home game for Auburn. 90 minutes to Atlanta from Auburn. 8 hours for Hoosiers. It will definitely be an Auburn crowd.

IIRC, it's our first "away" game even though it's considered neutral site...BS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Not just asking you, but I'm not sure I see Auburn as one we "will drop" or even probably will drop.

They're probably starting three players 6'4 and under - those three are talented but so are the guys we'll match up with them. I think upfront we will cause issues for them with our depth because I just don't see much beyond their starters.

Definitely not an easy game, but I just don't see why would should be feeling like it's likely a loss heading into it. 

Mainly because i'm thinking about traveling to see that game. And my attendance at IU basketball games lately doesn't bode well for the outcome. Sorry in advance. 😎

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DWB said:

I think we'll drop the Auburn game too because they have more guys back than was anticipated. We've got a bunch of new pieces to put together, the game is really early in the season, and it's essentially a home game for Auburn. 90 minutes to Atlanta from Auburn. 8 hours for Hoosiers. It will definitely be an Auburn crowd.

IIRC, it's our first "away" game even though it's considered neutral site...BS.

While I agree, I'm not so sure ATL will be an all Auburn crowd. We thought Vegas was going to be an all AZ crowd (due to their proximity) and we owned 80% of that arena. Heck we owned 25% of that city. 

As I mentioned above, I'm thinking about going. I know ATL is no Vegas, but flights are cheap and hotels are cheap that weekend. It's looking to be an easy get away. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

While I agree, I'm not so sure ATL will be an all Auburn crowd. We thought Vegas was going to be an all AZ crowd (due to their proximity) and we owned 80% of that arena. Heck we owned 25% of that city. 

As I mentioned above, I'm thinking about going. I know ATL is no Vegas, but flights are cheap and hotels are cheap that weekend. It's looking to be an easy get away. 

Atlanta does have a lot of Auburn grads living there which is a little different than Vegas, but still, it’s not a hard place to get to for IU fans. There’s probably a lot of fans scattered around the eastern half of the US that would have an easier time getting to Atlanta for the game than a game in Bloomington, and the accommodations would be a ton easier in Atlanta. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Atlanta does have a lot of Auburn grads living there which is a little different than Vegas, but still, it’s not a hard place to get to for IU fans. There’s probably a lot of fans scattered around the eastern half of the US that would have an easier time getting to Atlanta for the game than a game in Bloomington, and the accommodations would be a ton easier in Atlanta. 

Funny, Initially we wanted to go to the KU game - drive in from Valpo and stay for 2 nights. The hotel prices in B-Town that weekend are crazy - I think winter graduation is also that weekend. Graduate and Hilton Garden Inn are $500+ a night. Sure maybe, we can get a room at the Econolodge for less and throw some Natty Lights in the bath tub with ice, but we're grown ups now. 😎

As an alternative the Auburn game looks more likely. For comparison, flights for 2 to ATL are about $600 round trip. Nice hotel rooms right next to the arena are under $200/night. I'd imagine *unobstructed* (lol) game tix may be less too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Speak of the devil…an Auburn breakdown:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2023/08/02/2023-24-non-conference-opponent-preview-auburn/?fbclid=IwAR0L191M3_jo7DKzrsw-mIiqkbQX9E72H-XZmq67zppjVQCGr8VgMx9SRsc_aem_AV5_ZvOnMsKNgPX0K6jHW9fRzaUyrjOgmD6H_eOn02FwilImp2gafvylXglUKDkm25c

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

We aren't winning another game this year. Coach Dufus has ran Indiana right into the sewer and next year will be even worse. Whenever our incompetent athletic department decides that Dufus needs to go it will take years to recover from this. I am almost 70 and at this point in my life if I want to see an excellent program with competent coaches and players I watch Purdue. We are no longer the big brother but we have become a 3rd cousin. There isn't one thing about this program, the coaching, the administration that gives me any hope. Garbage in, garbage out. Same crap every day! 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

We aren't winning another game this year. Coach Dufus has ran Indiana right into the sewer and next year will be even worse. Whenever our incompetent athletic department decides that Dufus needs to go it will take years to recover from this. I am almost 70 and at this point in my life if I want to see an excellent program with competent coaches and players I watch Purdue. We are no longer the big brother but we have become a 3rd cousin. There isn't one thing about this program, the coaching, the administration that gives me any hope. Garbage in, garbage out. Same crap every day! 

We are all upset but why the childish insults

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

The Truth Hurts. No more childish than writing worthless emails to Dolson and the BOT! You think they really give a crap about what we think? 

Didn't you say you are 70 years old and you are calling people names. At least I am trying to make a difference even if it doesn't work. It is better than just bitching and moaning on a message board.  I have been very successful in the past with my emails because Archie was fired a couple days after an email. Also Allen was fired a day after my email.