Poll: IU 2023-24 Win Total

With the roster as it's currently constructed, how many games do you think IU will win this year?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. With the roster as it's currently constructed, how many games do you think IU will win this year?

13 minutes ago, Reacher said:

My preliminary thought is 24 wins. I think an easier conference schedule helps us. Should be a fun season. 

I think so too...

Last year, we knew we had a solid team, and we had a solid year...

23-12, 12-8 in conference, finishing in a tie for second in the Big 10 and especially looking at our injuries and tough conference schedule, I think we did pretty well...

This year is the unknown though... We have talent, but a lot of it is in the potential stage...

Woody's got his work cut out for him, but I think that both he and the coaching staff are up to the task...

I voted 26+.

I went through our schedule and had us at 9-2 non conference and 14-6 in conference. I subtracted a game in there for my bias, then went very bullish to give us four total post season wins.

So realistically could very well be in the 21-25 range, but I do really see the upside to 26+ with this group. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I voted 26+.

I went through our schedule and had us at 9-2 non conference and 14-6 in conference. I subtracted a game in there for my bias, then went very bullish to give us four total post season wins.

So realistically could very well be in the 21-25 range, but I do really see the upside to 26+ with this group. 

I thought this was just for the regular season 

Hoping for 23-25, but too many new pieces to gel together. 

Cupps will have to prove himself to me. From the limited times I saw film on him, he didn't play nearly hard enough. Lazy cuts, no screens, etc which is a surprise because I think his dad is a helluva coach.

I don't watch the recruits nearly as much as you guys do. All I know is that until I see it, I'm not getting all hyper on a team like I did last year.

I’m being cautious and went 16-20, because we have so many new players that I don’t think any of us know what to expect. We should be very talented, but I suspect we’ll struggle early on, and then start to gel mid-season. We’re still missing that game changer at guard, but I’m hoping Galloway or Gunn can fill that void. Hopefully, we make the NCAAs and make some noise. I’d be happy to be wrong, and be in the 21-25 range at the end of the regular season.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 12:15 PM, btownqb said:

16-20 crew.. explain yourselves 

If it's just regular season, 20 is a very reasonable number. I expect we'll take some lumps in the non-con. We have four marquee games and splitting those would be a success. Losing three would be disappointing but not a surprising result, given the competition. From there, even a 12-8 finish in the Big Ten only gets you to 20 wins. Ideally we'd get a couple postseason wins to get us over that hump, but those can be hard to come by.

I like the potential for this year's team. The conference schedule also helps. But while I like the talent, we're also unproven and young at a lot of positions. If we reach our ceiling, it's not going to happen right away. Stub your toe a few times, like in those December Big Ten games, and 21 games becomes less of a gimme.

I voted 21-25 because I included postseason wins. But the path I laid out to 20 regular season wins seems as likely as not to me. FWIW, Bart Torvik currently projects us to finish the regular season 20-11; 11-9 in the Big Ten, tied with a handful of others.

20 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

If it's just regular season, 20 is a very reasonable number. I expect we'll take some lumps in the non-con. We have four marquee games and splitting those would be a success. Losing three would be disappointing but not a surprising result, given the competition. From there, even a 12-8 finish in the Big Ten only gets you to 20 wins. Ideally we'd get a couple postseason wins to get us over that hump, but those can be hard to come by.

I like the potential for this year's team. The conference schedule also helps. But while I like the talent, we're also unproven and young at a lot of positions. If we reach our ceiling, it's not going to happen right away. Stub your toe a few times, like in those December Big Ten games, and 21 games becomes less of a gimme.

I voted 21-25 because I included postseason wins. But the path I laid out to 20 regular season wins seems as likely as not to me. FWIW, Bart Torvik currently projects us to finish the regular season 20-11; 11-9 in the Big Ten, tied with a handful of others.

I was assuming post season was included in this whole thing. Maybe not. 

It's a grind, for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 12:15 PM, btownqb said:

16-20 crew.. explain yourselves 

I almost did…lost a lot of leadership from last year. A lot of our identity…a lot of moving parts and not a lot of continuity. It could go gangbusters or it could go bust (see Ohio St last year). I think 21-22 games.

• Like 2