Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

Just now, IU Scott said:

I think it was on Fox radio today they was having discussions on how analytics is used. In context they were more than talking about how teams were using measurable to much in drafting players in the NFL. They felt you should use production in games over a 40 yard time.

NFL teams were making bad decisions based on 40 times at the combine long before "analytics" was a thing. 

Ever hear of Mike Mamula?

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I understand taking the 23 over the 21 foot shot but analytics is pretty much taking out the 15-17 foot shot as well. To me turning down wide open 15 foot shots are just dumb.

If you’re interested in a longer explanation, this article does a pretty good job. It uses NBA data, but I’d imagine the numbers would be similar in college: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-mapping-shots-in-the-nba-changed-it-forever/amp/

If you want a short answer, this quote from the article pretty much sums it up:

“As it turns out, NBA players make only 40 percent of their shots between 8 and 9 feet from the rim, and that number drops to only 35 percent between 25 and 26 feet from the rim.”

So basically you can take that 15-17 foot 2 point jump shot and make it at a 40% rate, take a 25 foot 3 point jump shot and make it at a 35% rate, or get to the rim and make it at a 60% rate.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kdug said:

If you’re interested in a longer explanation, this article does a pretty good job. It uses NBA data, but I’d imagine the numbers would be similar in college: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-mapping-shots-in-the-nba-changed-it-forever/amp/

If you want a short answer, this quote from the article pretty much sums it up:

“As it turns out, NBA players make only 40 percent of their shots between 8 and 9 feet from the rim, and that number drops to only 35 percent between 25 and 26 feet from the rim.”

So basically you can take that 15-17 foot 2 point jump shot and make it at a 40% rate, take a 25 foot 3 point jump shot and make it at a 35% rate, or get to the rim and make it at a 60% rate.

That is terrible if a  pro player shoots that bad from 10 feet. I saw plenty of points scored by IU greats from 15 foot. Cheaney, May, Woodson and Henderson all sit at or above 50%. What that tells me is players today don't practice shooting those easy 12-15 foot shots

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is terrible if a  pro player shoots that bad from 10 feet. I saw plenty of points scored by IU greats from 15 foot. Cheaney, May, Woodson and Henderson all sit at or above 50%. What that tells me is players today don't practice shooting those easy 12-15 foot shots

Because the analytics told them not to practice them. Analytics self fulfilling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes, all time greats will be better than the averages. Also Woodson shot 50.5% on all field goals and May 51.3%, and that’s including layups. If they were shooting better than 50% from the midrange, they must’ve been really bad at getting to the rim.

And there can be exceptions to the rule too. Joel Embiid shot 51% from 10-20 feet last year. So the analytics are dependent on personnel.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Yes, all time greats will be better than the averages. Also Woodson shot 50.5% on all field goals and May 51.3%, and that’s including layups. If they were shooting better than 50% from the midrange, they must’ve been really bad at getting to the rim.

And there can be exceptions to the rule too. Joel Embiid shot 51% from 10-20 feet last year. So the analytics are dependent on personnel.

Don't forget Alford shot 59% his freshman year with no three pointers

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don't forget Alford shot 59% his freshman year with no three pointers

Not sure what the point is with that example, but Alford’s senior year is a perfect example on why teams aren’t shooting many midrange shots anymore. He shot 53% from three, and 43.8% from two (all twos including layups, not just midrange). Most players can’t shoot a meaningfully better percentage from the midrange to give up the extra point from shooting a 3.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Good luck with that one. Illinois or not if the kid is innocent I hope he gets cleared. OTOH...the PR (which I know Illinois leadership worries about) is certain to cause some backlash. Tough call for Whitman. 

For sure. Even if he gets the TRO it's hard to imagine him in the lineup with an outstanding rape charge, even if he's innocent. I've read a bunch more including the accuser's affidavit and all of the TRO filing detail and still have very mixed feelings. There doesn't seem to be much actual evidence in the affidavit but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

For sure. Even if he gets the TRO it's hard to imagine him in the lineup with an outstanding rape charge, even if he's innocent. I've read a bunch more including the accuser's affidavit and all of the TRO filing detail and still have very mixed feelings. There doesn't seem to be much actual evidence in the affidavit but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

And like I said Illinois or not....or Purdue or not....the convict first wait and prove innocence later mentality drives me so crazy. But it's 2024 and these colleges across the country feel safter (minus Bama) of taking that approach.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not an easy read at all, here is the accusers side of the Terrance Shannon Jr. situation.

Looked like in this report the cameras didn't catch the act? That's unfortunate. Maybe I read that part wrong. Some of those clubs/bars on those game days are insanely packed.  

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

What do Booker and Purdues bigs have in common? I'd say his game more resembles our two. Buuuut.. if Ware and Malik are back, doubt we'd have all three. 

I think Ware's gone. But I'm thinking we have Malik and Queen. Booker will go elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Looked like in this report the cameras didn't catch the act? That's unfortunate. Maybe I read that part wrong. Some of those clubs/bars on those game days are insanely packed.  

Nothing on video, no witnesses. Unless there's additional evidence it's his word against hers it seems.'

TRO hearing got bumped to federal court due to Title IX implications and it scheduled for Friday.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

That’s how I read it. They seemed to catch right before and right after but no cameras of them for the minute encounter. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Just checked the score and Purdue is down 41-30 and Edey only have 2 points.  People needs to look to see what Neb. coaches do to stop Edey because last year he only had 11 at Neb.

Nebraska has a really good coach

• Confused 1