Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

@The Daily Hoosier started his series on Big 10 teams with Purdue

I think the Boilermakers have to be the Big 10 favorite based on pretty much everybody coming back, but...

I still think they'll have trouble with our backcourt, and either Kaufman-Renn or Furst have to take a huge step forward. I don't think TKR envisioned being a back to the basket 5 like Painter used him last year, so we'll see how he's developed...

They don't have the gimme Big 10 schedule they had last year...

PURDUE
Home: Michigan State, Minnesota, Penn State
Away: Maryland, Nebraska, Ohio State
Home/Away: Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Northwestern, Rutgers, Wisconsin 

Only one game against what has to be thought of as the 2 worst teams in the league (Penn St and Minnesota)

Edey will be a load again, but Fairleigh Dickinson showed that they're not invincible 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

“but Matt Painter has repeatedly proven that (Purdue’s style) works in the Big Ten. There’s no reason to think it won’t work again.”

Except, Woodson’s style has proven it can beat Purdue style and others (FDU) are learning.

The formula to beat PU is to have quick guards to blow past their guards (and harass them defensively) and pull up for mid-range jumpers (while Lurch plays drop coverage)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rico said:

I am with @IUFLA, I think Purdue's success this year will be tied to Furst and TKR.  And I must say that Caleb has been a huge disappointment to me.

Furst has to get his 3 point percentage up north of 30%... He shot about the same percentage as Race did from 3 last year, but wasn't as good as Thompson in any other facet of the game... 

And TKR was only 25% from distance... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Furst has to get his 3 point percentage up north of 30%... He shot about the same percentage as Race did from 3 last year, but wasn't as good as Thompson in any other facet of the game... 

And TKR was only 25% from distance... 

Furst has no motor.  No drive.  No passion.

20 minutes ago, Memphis said:

I am not sure if I agree here, I question how much of his lack of hustle/motor/etc. is a byproduct of CMP's system which doesn't optimize guy's with his skill-set.

Interesting "theory."  Never looked at it that way.

1 hour ago, Memphis said:

I am not sure if I agree here, I question how much of his lack of hustle/motor/etc. is a byproduct of CMP's system which doesn't optimize guy's with his skill-set.

41 minutes ago, rico said:

Interesting "theory."  Never looked at it that way.

I don't know... I watched a lot of Purdue games last year, and it always seemed to me the both TKR and Mason "Stewed to the" Gillis 🙂 played with more energy than Furst... some of that may indeed be a product of the system...Maybe the focus on Edey and Edey 's game itself may be part of the issue @Memphis?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know... I watched a lot of Purdue games last year, and it always seemed to me the both TKR and Mason "Stewed to the" Gillis 🙂 played with more energy than Furst... some of that may indeed be a product of the system...Maybe the focus on Edey and Edey 's game itself may be part of the issue @Memphis?

You gave me a good chuckle with that Gillis line.

Yeah, I saw the same thing you saw.  TKR and Gillis were far more energetic that brautFurst.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah I am assessing from the limited Purdue action I saw last season.  I would surmise he was probably 3-4th option on the court most nights for CMP, couple that with expectations he may have had coming out of high school/AAU where he was the consistently a primary option...and I could see where he may not be super excited night-in, night-out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Memphis said:

Yeah I am assessing from the limited Purdue action I saw last season.  I would surmise he was probably 3-4th option on the court most nights for CMP, couple that with expectations he may have had coming out of high school/AAU where he was the consistently a primary option...and I could see where he may not be super excited night-in, night-out.

I watched Purdue play quite a bit last year.  Furst was non-existent in every Boiler contest I saw.  I wouldn't even call him an option when he is out on the floor.  I know it sounds like I am being hard on him but geez the guy is invisible out there.  Gillis, TKR, and Newman were far more into it.  Perhaps Caleb's fortunes would have been different if he had went to Michigan St., I dunno.  But what I do know is the kid has been a MAJOR disappointment in West Lafayette.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rico said:

I watched Purdue play quite a bit last year.  Furst was non-existent in every Boiler contest I saw.  I wouldn't even call him an option when he is out on the floor.  I know it sounds like I am being hard on him but geez the guy is invisible out there.  Gillis, TKR, and Newman were far more into it.  Perhaps Caleb's fortunes would have been different if he had went to Michigan St., I dunno.  But what I do know is the kid has been a MAJOR disappointment in West Lafayette.  

That's a good point about MSU. That kid just seems to have an Izzo type game. Start off learning, then mostly in the post, progressing to strong rebounding, defense, and range out to 3 by junior and senior seasons. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

That's a good point about MSU. That kid just seems to have an Izzo type game. Start off learning, then mostly in the post, progressing to strong rebounding, defense, and range out to 3 by junior and senior seasons. 

Izzy was recruiting him and I really thought he might land there.  But Caleb chose to hideout in Mackeyville.

• Like 1

So early thoughts on who gets Edey when IU plays the Boilermakers... Ware or Reneau (just taking for granted that they'll be the starting and interchangeable 4-5)?

I actually think Sparks off the bench will be the best matchup against Edey because of his strength... 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Izzy was recruiting him and I really thought he might land there.  But Caleb chose to hideout in Mackeyville.

I have posted this on here previously...

One of the few recruits where I knew a little something. Furst was Bloomington bound....until CAM made the assumption he was wrapped up and stopped paying attention to him. Left the door open, and ol' Pork Chop came in and swept him to W. Lafayette.

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So early thoughts on who gets Edey when IU plays the Boilermakers... Ware or Reneau (just taking for granted that they'll be the starting and interchangeable 4-5)?

I actually think Sparks off the bench will be the best matchup against Edey because of his strength... 

Before I ever got to the end of your post, I was thinking Sparks. Of the two likely starters, I would guess Reneau. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

One of the few recruits where I knew a little something. Furst was Bloomington bound....until CAM made the assumption he was wrapped up and stopped paying attention to him. Left the door open, and ol' Pork Chop came in and swept him to W. Lafayette.

That sucks. My family and I were touring Assembly Hall when Furst was on a visit with his family. Really wanted to land him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So you are saying we dodged the bullet?

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Before I ever got to the end of your post, I was thinking Sparks. Of the two likely starters, I would guess Reneau. 

I wonder if we will ever see Woody start a non starter for a particular matchup? Having a flexible roster allows for that. Bringing Sparks in after Ware gets a couple fouls works as well and I imagine that's what we will see. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I wonder if we will ever see Woody start a non starter for a particular matchup? Having a flexible roster allows for that. Bringing Sparks in after Ware gets a couple fouls works as well and I imagine that's what we will see. 

I think Woody likes his rotations and doesn’t want to mess with them. Plus, let’s make them have Edey deal with our bigs who can step out some. 

• Like 4