Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I was looking at Maryland's roster today, and I think there's a really good chance that Jordan Geronimo starts for them...

They have Julian Reese at the 5, Donta Scott at the 3, Jahmir Young at the 1, and Freshman DeShawn Harris-Smith at the 2...

Unless they play Caelum Swanton-Rogers or Mady Traore at the 5 and move Reese to the 4...

Scott could be the 4

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I was looking at Maryland's roster today, and I think there's a really good chance that Jordan Geronimo starts for them...

They have Julian Reese at the 5, Donta Scott at the 3, Jahmir Young at the 1, and Freshman DeShawn Harris-Smith at the 2...

Unless they play Caelum Swanton-Rogers or Mady Traore at the 5 and move Reese to the 4...

I really like Reese and expect that at some time, he just explodes. Scott can come along too but I expect more from Reese once someone gets into his mind. I'll always (with one exception) hollar for Jordan! he can be special, no matter how far away that may be.

A work buddy and I have argued IU and Maryland for 12 years now. Now that they are using ex IU players.......... I've got some good ammo stored up for this years bitch sessions! LOL 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I really like Reese and expect that at some time, he just explodes. Scott can come along too but I expect more from Reese once someone gets into his mind. I'll always (with one exception) hollar for Jordan! he can be special, no matter how far away that may be.

A work buddy and I have argued IU and Maryland for 12 years now. Now that they are using ex IU players.......... I've got some good ammo stored up for this years bitch sessions! LOL 

Kinda surprised me to see Reese didn't take one 3 pointer last year after shooting 30% his freshman year (low volume... 23 attempts)... wonder if Willard starts exploring that part of his game...

I think between Scott, Reese, and Young they have good offense... I can see Jordan starting for his experience, rebounding and interior defense...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Kinda surprised me to see Reese didn't take one 3 pointer last year after shooting 30% his freshman year (low volume... 23 attempts)... wonder if Willard starts exploring that part of his game...

I think between Scott, Reese, and Young they have good offense... I can see Jordan starting for his experience, rebounding and interior defense...

Reese regressed last year, I agree it was odd. But wasn't he almost as foul prone as Jordan? Maybe His mind got out infront of his ski's a tad with a few off season mentions prior to last year?

I hate seeing talented young men that have never been taught to STFU and be humble (from a personal mind control perspective). With all that, I think Reese can put it together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

As if Ware didn’t already have reason to find his mojo all he has to do is look at all the lists he keeps getting left off of!

That shouldn't be his motivation. His motivation should be that he was averaging 6/4 at Oregon, playing 15 mpg and was third in the rotation by the end of the season. That should have been his reality check. I believe it will. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That shouldn't be his motivation. His motivation should be that he was averaging 6/4 at Oregon, playing 15 mpg and was third in the rotation by the end of the season. That should have been his reality check. I believe it will. 

Maybe I should have Highlighted the word ALREADY! But yeah.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

The usual preseason prediction format - several top favorites (Purdue, MSU), the identified bottom feeders and a big jumble in the middle. Does not look like a strong league overall, expect a lot of Big Ten bashing from the media again.

Who's going to play PG for Illinois? Rodgers? 

Edited by IUFLA

On 9/20/2023 at 9:36 AM, BruceDouglas said:

The usual preseason prediction format - several top favorites (Purdue, MSU), the identified bottom feeders and a big jumble in the middle. Does not look like a strong league overall, expect a lot of Big Ten bashing from the media again.

Looks about right. After Purdue and Michigan St…I could see any number of outcomes below that. We could be right up there but we have a lot of new pieces and it’s hard to tell what an IU team without TJD will look like under Woody. I think this year will be key to how we get respect moving forward no matter what the roster makeup looks like.

On 9/15/2023 at 1:06 PM, IUFLA said:

I would love to see Jordan Geronimo starting for a team that is supposed to compete for the conference title. 

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, BruceDouglas said:

Seems to be the plan. A PG that can't shoot. Should be interesting.

I'm not sure I'm buying Rodgers at the point, but...

And he did say some things over the summer that, if I were an Illini fan, I'd be a bit disturbed by in this article

Here’s Rodgers on the culture change from last year to this year:
“I will say that my first year, it wasn’t the culture that they (the coaching staff) talked about. Honestly, I really didn’t know what the culture was. But, this year, it really feels like we are putting something together.”

Here’s Rodgers on the new guys, and how they fit:
“All the guys they brought in, they’re good human beings. Some of the guys we had last year weren’t.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m assuming that he’s saying MD won’t be as good as they’re being predicted if JG is starting. ?

I did too, but there was a little ambiguity there...

If that is @KoB2011's point, then I somewhat agree... Maryland has a nice core in Reese, Scott, and Young, and a very promising freshman in DeShawn Harris-Smith... if Jordan could consistently play like he did versus Wyoming in the tournament 2 years ago, or Wisconsin, and Illinois last year (hustle, rebound, play interior defense), I think he'd be a good fit with those 4. They need someone to do the "dirty work." 

But, if as indicated by this article he wants to "develop or showcase my perimeter game" then I think he's looking at being used the same way he was for the majority of his time at IU... Willard reined in Reese's outside shooting last year (he had zero attempts after hoisting it up 23 times from 3 his freshman year and hitting on 30% of them) so I can't imagine him giving Geronimo a green light...

I think Jordan is the kind of kid who believes one or two good outings puts him in position to take that "next step" in his game... I believe his skill set limits that... 

Edited by IUFLA