Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I did too, but there was a little ambiguity there...

If that is @KoB2011's point, then I somewhat agree... Maryland has a nice core in Reese, Scott, and Young, and a very promising freshman in DeShawn Harris-Smith... if Jordan could consistently play like he did versus Wyoming in the tournament 2 years ago, or Wisconsin, and Illinois last year (hustle, rebound, play interior defense), I think he'd be a good fit with those 4. They need someone to do the "dirty work." 

But, if as indicated by this article he wants to "develop or showcase my perimeter game" then I think he's looking at being used the same way he was for the majority of his time at IU... Willard reined in Reese's outside shooting last year (he had zero attempts after hoisting it up 23 times from 3 his freshman year and hitting on 30% of them) so I can't imagine him giving Geronimo a green light...

I think Jordan is the kind of kid who believes one or two good outings puts him in position to take that "next step" in his game... I believe his skill set limits that... 

I'm not rooting against Jordan, but I wouldn't say I'm rooting for him like I have some past transfers. He isn't in Armaan Franklin territory, though.

My general point was as you assumed, that I think it is good for our chances. Yes, there will be games Jordan shows out, but there will also most likely be games that him having a key role for UM costs Maryland some winnable games. We know that happened to us last year. 

• Like 3

On 9/22/2023 at 10:36 AM, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure I'm buying Rodgers at the point, but...

And he did say some things over the summer that, if I were an Illini fan, I'd be a bit disturbed by in this article

Here’s Rodgers on the culture change from last year to this year:
“I will say that my first year, it wasn’t the culture that they (the coaching staff) talked about. Honestly, I really didn’t know what the culture was. But, this year, it really feels like we are putting something together.”

Here’s Rodgers on the new guys, and how they fit:
“All the guys they brought in, they’re good human beings. Some of the guys we had last year weren’t.”

Yeah no question last year's re-load was a disaster. This year will tell a lot about if that was a one-off or a trend.

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Rutgers writer "Cautiously Optimistic"

I'm going more with "delusional." :)

"I see Rutgers finishing Big Ten play with a record of 15 wins and 5 losses. Combining the OOC and Big Ten predictions, Rutgers would be left with an impressive 26-7 record."

🤣🤣🤣

Agree.  Can't say I see anything cautious about 26-7 and 15-5.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Rutgers writer "Cautiously Optimistic"

I'm going more with "delusional." :)

"I see Rutgers finishing Big Ten play with a record of 15 wins and 5 losses. Combining the OOC and Big Ten predictions, Rutgers would be left with an impressive 26-7 record."

🤣🤣🤣

This would exceed their best B10 conference record by three wins and would be the second most season wins in school history. 

On 9/26/2023 at 11:54 PM, Purdue7 said:

I could see Rutgers & Penn State surprise 

NW, Iowa & Michigan 💩

if you guys stay healthy it should be interesting.  3 5 star players 

XJ & TG will be have to be great leaders 

I can see us being a top 3 team again this year in the B1G or it just going sideways with so many faces and personalities changing.  Could be Ohio St all over.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I can see us being a top 3 team again this year in the B1G or it just going sideways with so many faces and personalities changing.  Could be Ohio St all over.

There's no way we'll be that bad...

Holtmann's problem was not managing the egos of Sueing and Sensabaugh (among others)... he'd pretty much lost the team mid-year... I think Thornton's emergence and Roddy Gayle's play at the end of year spurred the BTT run...

I think Woody would yank knots in some tails if that started happening here

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Holtmann's problem was not managing the egos of Sueing and Sensabaugh (among others)... he'd pretty much lost the team mid-year... I think Thornton's emergence and Roddy Gayle's play at the end of year spurred the BTT run...

Hope we don’t ever have to tell but you never know when bringing in so many new faces that didn’t work out at other programs…to be fair…just takes a couple to throw a wrench into this season…without Trayce leadership on the floor and Kopp and Race…there is a lot less room for error for this team. 

30 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Battle was just awful last year, maybe a new start will work out for him.

Didn't he drop 30 on y'all? He had a good game against us too... 

I agree he had a brutal year for the most part, but again, I think that was Ben Johnson's fault... I watched them quite a bit last year, and sometimes it seemed like Battle and Garcia were in a race to see who could jack up the most bad shots... 

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I sure hope so.  Not long ago, a lot of members here were upset that IU didn't get Holtman.  Now, by at least some accounts, this is a make or break year for him at a football school.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I sure hope so.  Not long ago, a lot of members here were upset that IU didn't get Holtman.  Now, by at least some accounts, this is a make or break year for him at a football school.

I'm going with the under. I am confident that his flame just burned out a few years after Archie's did, but it's the same. Candle in the wind. osu and holtman suffer a 15 year locust infestation.

6 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Is that addition by subtraction?

In some cases it could be but I think in this case it's just subtraction by subtraction. That's a lot of talent and scoring gone and what remains isn't that great. Plus, Howard is still the coach.

Edited by go_iu_bb

22 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I agree he had a brutal year for the most part, but again, I think that was Ben Johnson's fault... I watched them quite a bit last year, and sometimes it seemed like Battle and Garcia were in a race to see who could jack up the most bad shots... 

Battle had minor foot surgery at the beginning of last season and I don't think he was ever fully healthy

On 9/28/2023 at 1:20 PM, IUFLA said:

LOL yes his best game of the season by far. 

Edited by BruceDouglas

On 9/28/2023 at 1:15 PM, IUFLA said:

Agree! I think Caleb Love would be a Hoosier if Woody wasn’t capable of getting a grasp on those things.