Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

3 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think Woody likes his rotations and doesn’t want to mess with them. Plus, let’s make them have Edey deal with our bigs who can step out some.

I think he likes them based on what he sees in practice every day. He goes with who he thinks will give them the best chance for success. CMW doesn't just roll with a hunch that some guy will out perform their practice work. I know we like to look at match ups and think we know what might work better, but I'm guessing most of the time coach knows best.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I think he likes them based on what he sees in practice every day. He goes with who he thinks will give them the best chance for success. CMW doesn't just roll with a hunch that some guy will out perform their practice work. I know we like to look at match ups and think we know what might work better, but I'm guessing most of the time coach knows best.

But in 2 years has he ever deterred from his lineup unless it was over injury or disciplinary action?

I think after X got hurt he did swap Bates and Galloway a couple of times, but other than that I honestly don't remember a time... 

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But in 2 years has he ever deterred from his lineup unless it was over injury or disciplinary action?

I think after X got hurt he did swap Bates and Galloway a couple of times, but other than that I honestly don't remember a time... 

I recall him starting or playing Michael Durr quite a bit v Purdue when he hadn’t played much prior to that 

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I recall him starting or playing Michael Durr quite a bit v Purdue when he hadn’t played much prior to that 

Durr didn't start, and played a lot because Trayce got into early foul trouble... 

Screenshot_20230708-200748.thumb.png.2fcc61095306ac97b7ff4e0f59c03c6f.png

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 12:56 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

I have posted this on here previously...

One of the few recruits where I knew a little something. Furst was Bloomington bound....until CAM made the assumption he was wrapped up and stopped paying attention to him. Left the door open, and ol' Pork Chop came in and swept him to W. Lafayette.

It's crazy how badly Archie Miller flubbed that class. He had all the hallmarks of a low-energy recruiter while he was here. He must have had an amazing interview that was totally out of character for him when he applied for the job. 

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

It's crazy how badly Archie Miller flubbed that class. He had all the hallmarks of a low-energy recruiter while he was here. He must have had an amazing interview that was totally out of character for him when he applied for the job. 

Sometimes when you catch lightening in a bottle, accidentally. The lightening strikes back. I don't think Arch is a bad person, but he found himself 12' out, on 3' feet ski's. And our Admin at the time was pumping charged clouds into the bottle that Arch was taking personal credit for.  

I NEVER want him back, or that Admin. But he may not have been the problem, he was definitely a symptom of the problem though. 

• Like 1

@The Daily Hoosier's take on Northwestern...  

We lost to them twice last year... First game at home by 1 after a furious last minute comeback... We out shot and out rebounded them, but turned it over 16 times, with Audige having 6 steals and Buie going off for 26 points. 

Second game at their place by 2, as we out shot and out rebounded them again, but turned it over 13 times...

Chase Audige led their defense, but he's gone, and Robbie Beren is gone as well... Buie's back, but I think XJ is a much better matchup for him than Galloway or JHS was last year... One of the new guys, Ryan Langbord (transfer from Princeton) is a good shooter, but not real athletic.

Their big, Nicholson, isn't a bad player, and I look for Barnhizer to make a jump, but they don't have much depth, and I think without co defensive player of the year Audige their defense takes a step back. I don't think they finish in the top 7 of the Big 10 this year... 

Edited by IUFLA

FWIW, the Hysterics guys have a great interview with Gallo this week. Just finished it. He's still one of my favorites! And I think he'll be an even better player this year than last.

He might just be our sleeper outside shooter this year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DWB said:

FWIW, the Hysterics guys have a great interview with Gallo this week. Just finished it. He's still one of my favorites! And I think he'll be an even better player this year than last.

Fingers crossed.  Considering the improvement he showed last season, despite being limited during the summer due to the injury, I hope he can use this (healthy) off-season to improve just as much (or more).

3 hours ago, DWB said:

Just listened to it and the Kaleb Banks podcast from 7/6... Good stuff...

A couple of names keep coming up from the scrimmages... CJ gets a ton of love, as does Malik... 

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A couple of names keep coming up from the scrimmages... CJ gets a ton of love, as does Malik... 

I thought one of the best comments by Gallo was when he was asked if you were in a dark alley and 2 PUke's came up to you looking for a fight, who would you choose from the team to be with you. Gallo said "No rules?", they said no rules. Gallo said I'll take Anthony Leal...surprised the bejeebers out of me !!

Edited by DWB
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, DWB said:

I thought one of the best comments by Gallo was when he was asked if you were in a dark alley and 2 PUke's came up to you looking for a fight, who would you choose from the team to be with you. Gallo said "No rules?", they said no rules. Gallo said I'll take Anthony Leal...surprised the bejeebers out of me !!

Rules, no rules

Edited by Drroogh
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, DWB said:

17 hours ago, Drroogh said:

So Leal is a ball-kicker? 😜

• Like 1

@The Daily Hoosier's look at Michigan State

Sparty has everyone except Joey Hauser coming back, and the best recruiting class (according to 247) in the Big 10 coming in...

Pretty favorable schedule with Minny and Penn State twice... We only see them once, at our place...

MICHIGAN STATE
Home: Iowa, Ohio State, Rutgers
Away: Indiana, Nebraska, Purdue
Home/Away: Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn State, Wisconsin

I think top 4 probably...with Hauser gone, their guards (Walker, Hoggard, and Akins) will have to carry them... 

BTW, sophomore Jaxson Kohler, who looked pretty good against us last year, seems to have shed a lot of baby fat, and is looking for a big jump this year... Playing in the Moneyball Pro-Am this summer, he dropped 53 points and 18 rebounds vs incoming Sparty freshman Xavier Booker 👀

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

McCaffery's 16 year old son charged with misdemeanor for killing a pedestrian in a crosswalk. This is very strange. He's charged with failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk, but at the same time it's suggested that another driver waived the jogger into his path and it was an unavoidable accident. So why charge at all? Seems like it should be vehicular manslaughter or no charges. 

https://www.thegazette.com/crime-courts/teen-son-of-fran-mccaffery-cited-in-fatal-crash-of-iowa-national-guard-soldier/

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

McCaffery's 16 year old son charged with misdemeanor for killing a pedestrian in a crosswalk. This is very strange. He's charged with failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk, but at the same time it's suggested that another driver waived the jogger into his path and it was an unavoidable accident. So why charge at all? Seems like it should be vehicular manslaughter or no charges. 

https://www.thegazette.com/crime-courts/teen-son-of-fran-mccaffery-cited-in-fatal-crash-of-iowa-national-guard-soldier/

That sounds like a really sad situation for all involved. Tragic. 

Also a good reminder to not waive pedestrians on when you’re driving, and to still be very careful as a pedestrian when someone waives you on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Also a good reminder to not waive pedestrians on when you’re driving, and to still be very careful as a pedestrian when someone waives you on. 

Agreed. I was in a bad accident once when I needed to turn left across two lanes of traffic. A car in the near lane paused to let me through, but an SUV in the far lane hit me at full speed. Likely the SUV didn't see me until I was already crossing their lane. It's easy to imagine a similar situation here, and why the investigators would determine the accident unavoidable.

I cycle around town and I always prefer to stop for traffic rather than have traffic stop for me. For one, a car is going to be through and clear of any crossing much quicker than I will. When I stop I'm not disrupting traffic by behavior unexpectedly or forcing others to stop. And most importanly of all, I know I'm the one that would pay the price in any collision so I'm not putting myself in front of any car if I can avoid it.

Hate this for the McCaffery kid, and for the family of the deceased. No matter what I think of the father, this is something you never want to see happen.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Excellent point. I do a lot of walking through round about intersections and a lot of drivers want to let me cross. However, many of the crossings have two lanes and the other lane might not stop. I always prefer to choose the time to cross myself. I know they are trying to be helpful, but it is better to let the pedestrian make the decisions.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Excellent point. I do a lot of walking through round about intersections and a lot of drivers want to let me cross. However, many of the crossings have two lanes and the other lane might not stop. I always prefer to choose the time to cross myself. I know they are trying to be helpful, but it is better to let the pedestrian make the decisions.

Indiana Code 9-21-8-36. Always yield. Always. I'm on the Monon daily when in town. Mostly between 86th and Carmel Dr....I see near misses all the time. 

Feel bad for all involved. Mistake and now several families will live with that forever.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Indiana Code 9-21-8-36. Always yield. Always. I'm on the Monon daily when in town. Mostly between 86th and Carmel Dr....I see near misses all the time. 

Feel bad for all involved. Mistake and now several families will live with that forever.

That's a very dangerous spot. I keep hearing there are plans to develop an overpass and the sooner the better.

• Like 1