Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

26 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Agreed that he was good at Iowa State, but I guess I’m just not impressed with his Nebraska tenure. They exceeded expectations last year because he’s put together bad teams. Again, he still hasn’t had any teams that were as good as the last 2 teams that got Miles fired. So he’s literally taken over for a coach that was deemed bad enough to get fired, and been worse than him for 4 straight years. That’d be enough to get fired from a lot of college programs.

Like I said, I like their team this year, so maybe it just took him awhile to get going, but I’m not convinced.

Hoiberg had little talent and experience on his first few teams... He took a chance on some talented kids, Teddy Allen comes to mind, who didn't pan out...

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What Miles did is a little irrelevant, Hoiberg inherited a mess and had to start from the ground floor. What contributors did Hoiberg inherit?

I legitimately don’t know. Like I said, I’m not necessarily following Nebraska basketball closely. I just saw that Miles seemed to be doing ok at the end of his tenure, and Hoiberg still hasn’t gotten back to that level in 4 years.

Then I look at a program that was in terrible shape and historically worse than Nebraska like Rutgers when Pickell took over, and he had them in the tourney in year 4 if it wouldn’t have been cancelled. I’d call that great coaching/program building.

I just can’t call someone a great coach who has had 7 straight years without a winning season between two different teams. I understand it’s not all his fault, but it doesn’t look good. I mean there’s a legitimate chance he could’ve been fired last year if they didn’t get hot down the stretch and pull out those OT games.

For me personally, I’d need to see him have a couple of good seasons first.

CMW inherited TJD at a blue blood program with every advantage as I am reminded over cow colleges like Ames & West Lafayette 

Did you watch that high post offense last night?  Poetry in motion!  Needed that to wash away taste of Rutgers rock fight 

Did you watch the bench…those Huskers are a tight bunch 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kdug said:

Agreed that he was good at Iowa State, but I guess I’m just not impressed with his Nebraska tenure. They exceeded expectations last year because he’s put together bad teams. Again, he still hasn’t had any teams that were as good as the last 2 teams that got Miles fired. So he’s literally taken over for a coach that was deemed bad enough to get fired, and been worse than him for 4 straight years. That’d be enough to get fired from a lot of college programs.

Like I said, I like their team this year, so maybe it just took him awhile to get going, but I’m not convinced.

He thrived at ISU because he was ahead of the curve utilizing transfers. Now this time around everyone is doing that so probably took him some time to adjust. 

• Like 2

Shannon’s TRO seems like a hail Mary and longshot.  He has to show likelihood of success in court on the merits of the case.  That seems far fetched if you read the affidavit.  She has no history with him or axe to grind.  Her facts are very detailed.   It’s a tough read.  

Women unfortunately do make false claims.  But in this situation it’s hard to find a hint of it.  No money grab, jealousy motives, scorned female, etc.   She has literally zero reason to make this up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Shannon’s TRO seems like a hail Mary and longshot.  He has to show likelihood of success in court on the merits of the case.  That seems far fetched if you read the affidavit.  She has no history with him or axe to grind.  Her facts are very detailed.   It’s a tough read.  

Women unfortunately do make false claims.  But in this situation it’s hard to find a hint of it.  No money grab, jealousy motives, scorned female, etc.   She has literally zero reason to make this up. 

Am I reading it correctly….he is accused of raping her from behind in a crowded bar while both are standing and another woman is next to him ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It's confusing to me why he would even do this. For sake of argument, let's say he wins and the court forces him out of suspension. Does the court also require that he starts and/or plays a certain amount of minutes? Just because he wouldn't be suspended doesn't mean they have to play him. Whether Underwood has enough integrity to sit him if he's available, I don't know, but if he does then this doesn't really get Shannon playing basketball again any time soon.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yeah - up until I read her affidavit everything seemed fuzzy but I don't see how you could let him play again until things are settled in court. That was a very hard read. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Not there yet. The inconsistency is discouraging, but we’re 3-2 in the B10, and still in the hunt. I’ll get back to you in a couple of weeks.

We have been pretty consistent this year. We just aren’t good. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Tominaga is my favorite player in CBB. Woodson couldn't remember his name in the post game presser. Called him "the little guard" after he scored 28 against the Hoosiers. 

Woodson wouldn’t know his name because he doesn’t know names of any pure shooters…it’s why we avg the fewest 3s in college basketball….yeah…the little guard that just dominated the game…you know…kinda like Steph Curry has been doing in the NBA for the past decade!

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The TRO has nothing really to do with the rape case itself. He's claiming the UI policy does not afford him due process by its lack of transparency or opportunity to present his side. 

It may indeed be a long shot because he's claiming irreparable harm from the suspension and not sure that claim can be validated as it's more likely the criminal charges themselves are causing the harm, not the suspension. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Tominaga is my favorite player in CBB. Woodson couldn't remember his name in the post game presser. Called him "the little guard" after he scored 28 against the Hoosiers. 

Maybe I'm looking for things to be grumpy about, but, to me, that's pretty disrespectful on Woodson's part.  As a coach, you should know the name and number of every player on the team you're playing against that night.  To not know, or at least pretend to not know, the name of a player that will likely be all-conference is disrespectful.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

What?  I am a sports nut and I can’t recall anything that bizarre.  What did he do?

It sure smacks of “we are losing on the road anyway, so let’s suspend him there but we might win at home so let’s keep him active at home.”

Michigan makes a mockery of themselves.  Makes it hard to root for them.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What?  I am a sports nut and I can’t recall anything that bizarre.  What did he do?

It sure smacks of “we are losing on the road anyway, so let’s suspend him there but we might win at home so let’s keep him active at home.”

Michigan makes a mockery of themselves.  Makes it hard to root for them.  

I had heard rumors that he was in trouble academically, so maybe he's got to stay home and work on his grades?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe I'm looking for things to be grumpy about, but, to me, that's pretty disrespectful on Woodson's part.  As a coach, you should know the name and number of every player on the team you're playing against that night.  To not know, or at least pretend to not know, the name of a player that will likely be all-conference is disrespectful.

He's a 65 year old man, and I can tell you with the utmost confidence, it happens...

Nothing "disrespectful" about it... 

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Strange to tie it to road games.  that would seem to imply he did something during a road trip, but Michigan has not had a road game since December 10th.  

Could he be prohibited to leaving the  state due to legal problems 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He's a 65 year old man, and I can tell you with the utmost confidence, it happens...

Nothing "disrespectful" about it... 

this isn’t just a comment on Woodson, but if you are starting to lose your memory maybe you shouldn’t be in charge of things. 

Edited by KoB2011

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

this isn’t just a comment on Woodson, but if you are starting to lose your memory maybe you shouldn’t be in charge of things. 

It's just a reality of age...

I'm sure you've forgotten stuff before, and you're what? Mid 30s?

• Haha 1