FIBA World Cup

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

For those that watch the NBA, was this our B team, C team, or even worse? I don’t watch the NBA one bit, but based on the box score I’d say there are a lot of notable Americans missing. Not making excuses for anybody, just wondering.

Definitely the B Team and arguably the C Team. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

For those that watch the NBA, was this our B team, C team, or even worse? I don’t watch the NBA one bit, but based on the box score I’d say there are a lot of notable Americans missing. Not making excuses for anybody, just wondering.

Definitely not the A-Team.

The A-Team - Rotten Tomatoes

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

That’s an old team. Who is going to play defense and who is going to rebound? Two things we haven’t done for years in international basketball.

BAM, Tatum, Draymond and AD are all plus defenders. Durant is a good defender when locked in. This also isn't a final roster either. I'm sure they'll add another center, potentially Embiid. 

Lots of length as well. Much, much better shooting team too, which mitigates some of those other issues as well. 

On 9/8/2023 at 10:34 PM, kyhoosier29 said:

Edit: not saying I necessarily agree with this guys lists. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

BAM, Tatum, Draymond and AD are all plus defenders. Durant is a good defender when locked in. This also isn't a final roster either. I'm sure they'll add another center, potentially Embiid. 

Lots of length as well. Much, much better shooting team too, which mitigates some of those other issues as well. 

I feel like they need some bangers…dirty work guys to set screens…box out and clean up. Some of those guys are plus defenders but that’s in the nba game…which is considerably different than Fiba. They are also going to be a year older. Agree it’s a much much better team but even Bam at his size I don’t think fairs as well in the international game. Problem is almost all those bruisers are international guys…the Adams, Valunchuinus, Zubac’s of the world. Would Embiid play for USA? I think you can make some much better rosters but not sure they would all play. I look at that guys list and we definitely are weak on the interior defense. Those centers are not all that impressive. I’d actually take Looney over most of them. When we are getting outscored by like plus 25 second chance points…on ball defense might not be the only problem.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I feel like they need some bangers…dirty work guys to set screens…box out and clean up. Some of those guys are plus defenders but that’s in the nba game…which is considerably different than Fiba. They are also going to be a year older. Agree it’s a much much better team but even Bam at his size I don’t think fairs as well in the international game. Problem is almost all those bruisers are international guys…the Adams, Valunchuinus, Zubac’s of the world. Would Embiid play for USA? I think you can make some much better rosters but not sure they would all play. I look at that guys list and we definitely are weak on the interior defense. Those centers are not all that impressive. I’d actually take Looney over most of them. When we are getting outscored by like plus 25 second chance points…on ball defense might not be the only problem.

That A Team would win the Gold going away. They'd maybe have to push themselves in a Gold Medal game, but even then they would win.

Davis is a very strong defender and BAM is one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA, albeit a tad undersized. 

• Like 1