IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The Pacers could beat Purdue by over 100 if they played college rules and college refs. It would be like 130 - 30.

The skill gap between an average NBA team and the best college team is enormous. 

I don’t think people realize how long and athletic NBA players are.  It would be a struggle to run offense for a maybe 6’ tall PG 

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 1:25 PM, KoB2011 said:

Potential bad news for the home game against Ohio State - it’s the same time as the Colts v Houston game on Saturday.

That might impact our home court advantage in what is a very important game. 

Maybe....but I highly doubt it, at least for those attending in AH. Might affect TV viewership, but big deal. If I had tickets to ANY IU game, I wouldn't miss it for the world, much less the Colts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Maybe....but I highly doubt it, at least for those attending in AH. Might affect TV viewership, but big deal. If I had tickets to ANY IU game, I wouldn't miss it for the world, much less the Colts.

Hope you’re right. We need all the help we can get. 

This post is not directed at any other posts, it’s just me thinking out loud! But a big what if just hit me? What if coach is playing it like Izzo and challenging the team early? Not just with the schedule but pushing them into uncomfortable situations so they learn his vision of what he thinks they can be?? Did he purposely schedule teams we don’t match up with 3 pt shooting and such? I certainly don’t know!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

This post is not directed at any other posts, it’s just me thinking out loud! But a big what if just hit me? What if coach is playing it like Izzo and challenging the team early? Not just with the schedule but pushing them into uncomfortable situations so they learn his vision of what he thinks they can be?? Did he purposely schedule teams we don’t match up with 3 pt shooting and such? I certainly don’t know!

Well he did say that he came here to win B1G and NCAA championships, he never said to win pre season championships. You may be onto some coaching Jedi tricks! May also go into sub patterns and lineups.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

i absolutely do not think so, but that's just my opinion.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

If that were true, then after giving up 13 threes each in games 1&2, they shouldn’t have given up 17 in game 13. 

• Like 4

This team and staff needs to figure some things out, because they’re trending towards being the worst team we’ve had since Cody Zeller went to prom.

The rest of this month is pivotal for this program. Dig in and fight, win some games you aren’t supposed to win, or roll over and die. No in between.

I don’t care what the coaches say, it starts with them. They made this roster and its limitations. They refuse to tweak the defensive scheme for three seasons. They keep going back to a stagnant, back to the basket offense time and time again. This seasons blame is squarely on the staff.

• Like 5

This team and season is looking eerily reminiscent of the 2013-14 team. The season after Cody and Vic left. 

Insert Ware for Vonleh. Gallo for Sheehy (energy guy, sixth man now lost as a starter without the supporting cast). That team didn't really have a two guard either, but the current version also doesn't have a Yogi Ferrel. 

That team didn't have a signature non-con win, went 17-15, 7-11 in B1G and was swept by Nebraska. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This team and season is looking eerily reminiscent of the 2013-14 team. The season after Cody and Vic left. 

Insert Ware for Vonleh. Gallo for Sheehy (energy guy, sixth man now lost as a starter without the supporting cast). That team didn't really have a two guard either, but the current version also doesn't have a Yogi Ferrel. 

That team didn't have a signature non-con win, went 17-15, 7-11 in B1G and was swept by Nebraska. 

The thought of watching that team vs this current team makes me nauseous. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Well crap we play Nebraska twice this year 

• Haha 1

Trying to maintain some semblance of positivity. The reality is last night was a Quad 1 loss. While the margin of defeat was bad and frustrating, and cause for MAJOR concern, it won't be a "bad loss" on the resume. Note, I didn't look at any rankings before posting this. 

While we need some Quad 1 wins, I think more important is avoiding any Quad 3/4 losses and the overall Quad 1+2 record. Can we rack up a bunch of Quad 2 wins and get that Quad 1 + 2 record better?

It starts Saturday. I have much more confidence in us at home, so can we get a win Saturday? I don't have the rankings in front of me, but I'd imagine Ohio State at home is at least a Quad 2 win. 

Can @Michigan stay a Quad 1 win? Of the road games, can we steal one at Maryland? Maybe @Penn State and/or @Minnesota? Maybe 1-2 of those ends up Quad 2 road wins? We probably can't absorb more than 1 loss at home. 

Bottom line is that there are still some opportunities. My biggest concern though is that it's hard to be positive about winning enough games given that we've been absolutely pounded in 3 of our 4 losses. It's hard to imagine winning several road games given that outside of Michigan, we've gotten destroyed in our main neutral/road games so far. 

• Like 1

On the positive side I’ll say I think our offense has shown some improvements, we just need to clean some things up. From the Nebraska game it’s obviously the turnovers.

The thing that’s hard for me to overcome is I just don’t see any signs of life with our defense. We’ve already had 8 games where we’ve had an adjusted defensive rating at or above 100, with 5 of our last 6 games being above that mark - so it’s trending in the wrong direction. Last year we had 8 games the entire regular season with an adjusted d rating above 100. We just haven’t done anything well on that side of the ball. It feels like every game we’re letting the opponent get the shots they want, it’s just about if we get lucky and they miss them or not.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yikes!

Our starting guards have both been with the program the entirety of Woodson’s tenure.

When it looked to many like we needed to use the last scholarship on a guard Woodson chose not to.

This is a failure by the staff and Woodson should throw himself under the bus for it rather than the players. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yikes!

We are stuck in a ditch where we desperately need guards but are so unattractive for potential guard recruits/transfers. 
Ware will likely leave and we’ll probably add Queen, leading to a couple more years of two bigs clogging the paint (Queen and Reneau) 

Thankfully JHS was recruited when the coaching staff could still sell “the vision” and there wasn’t three years of tape as evidence. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

We are stuck in a ditch where we desperately need guards but are so unattractive for potential guard recruits/transfers. 
Ware will likely leave and we’ll probably add Queen, leading to a couple more years of two bigs clogging the paint (Queen and Reneau) 

Thankfully JHS was recruited when the coaching staff could still sell “the vision” and there wasn’t three years of tape as evidence. 

Not sure the solution that will actually play out.  I'd like to see Reneau at the 5.  I'll beat the piss out of that dead horse because he will never be an NBA 3.  However if he continues to elevate his game and body as he has from last year to this year.  It's still possible he turns into a face the basket 99% of the time guy at the 4.  

Push all the NIL money under the guards noses.