Bucket Game 2023 Game Thread

6 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Fischer said during the broadcast that he had already heard rumors of NIL amounts offered to some of our players by other schools to enter the portal. 

Which also confirms what we've been saying the last couple years, the talent on this team looks better, but importantly, that should also yield some results on the field. And we're talking modest results. Nobody's clamoring for consistent B1G contenders, let alone eve consistent bowl eligibility. We're just talking about getting a few wins.

• Like 2

Just now, D-BONE said:

Which also confirms what we've been saying the last couple years, the talent on this team looks better, but importantly, that should also yield some results on the field. And we're talking modest results. Nobody's clamoring for consistent B1G contenders, let alone eve consistent bowl eligibility. We're just talking about getting a few wins.

There is no reason we can't be 6-6 every year. 

• Like 3

Just now, D-BONE said:

Whatever. I've got low standards then. And we haven't even met those. 

I know we haven't but we should be as good as NW or Maryland. Growing up UW and NW was the laughing stock of the big ten in both football and basketball. There is no reason IU can't do the same thing those programs did to turn their program around

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know we haven't but we should be as good as NW or Maryland. Growing up UW and NW was the laughing stock of the big ten in both football and basketball. There is no reason IU can't do the same thing those programs did to turn their program around

I don't know about NW but Wisconsin got Barry Alvarez as AD because they had a president that understood the value of successful programs. Wisconsin damn near got RMK back in the late 60s. 

We had Myles Brand.  We all know what happened with him. We need our Barry Alvarez.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I don't know about NW but Wisconsin got Barry Alvarez as AD because they had a president that understood the value of successful programs. Wisconsin damn near got RMK back in the late 60s. 

We had Myles Brand.  We all know what happened with him. We need our Barry Alvarez.

Everything changed for UW when Alvarez was brought in to be the head coach and not the AD

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Talk about living in the past. He left IU in 2002 and has been dead since 2009. I understand people like to play the blame game, but blaming Myles Brand 21 years after the fact is a bit of a stretch. You can blame administration, but let's blame those in charge the last 20 years. IU either needs to leave the BIG or start throwing some dough at the football program. And that needs to start tomorrow. Not Monday, not next week. Tomorrow. Pay Allen off and get a real program builder and some one to light a fire under the program. Otherwise, what's really the point? 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

Talk about living in the past. He left IU in 2002 and has been dead since 2009. I understand people like to play the blame game, but blaming Myles brand 21 years after the fact is a bit of a stretch. You can blame administration, but let's blame those in charge the last 20 years. IU either needs to leave the BIG or start throwing some dough at the football program.

Luckily we have a President who knows and understands the value of a good football program works in harmony with the school not adversarial. If I were making my prediction now. He's gone. 

• Like 2

Just now, IU Scott said:

Everything changed for UW when Alvarez was brought in to be the head coach and not the AD

That is true but they kept the success going when they made him AD. 

IU totally whiffed on Deboer.  It should have been obvious he was the reason for 2019 and 2020. He's got UW undefeated and probably in the playoffs and Penix a Heisman candidate.  

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Luckily we have a President who knows and understands the value of a good football program works in harmony with the school not adversarial. If I were making my prediction now. He's gone. 

I think he's gone too. I believe someone broke down the payout and waiting until next year seems to only save them 7M. It's not my money but waiting will cost them that for sure. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Talk about living in the past. He left IU in 2002 and has been dead since 2009. I understand people like to play the blame game, but blaming Myles Brand 21 years after the fact is a bit of a stretch. You can blame administration, but let's blame those in charge the last 20 years. IU either needs to leave the BIG or start throwing some dough at the football program. And that needs to start tomorrow. Not Monday, not next week. Tomorrow. Pay Allen off and get a real program builder and some one to light a fire under the program. Otherwise, what's really the point? 

I don't really consider it living in the past. I was making a comparison to UW and the decisions they made that led to consistent success and IUs decisions over a similar time frame. 

Like @Seeking6said, we have a president now that understands the value of successful sports programs so hopefully that translates on the field/floor. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I think he's gone too. I believe someone broke down the payout and waiting until next year seems to only save them 7M. It's not my money but waiting will cost them that for sure. 

Old IU would make a $ decision. Different folks down there now. This won't be a money decision. This is an apathy in the program decision.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I don't really consider it living in the past. I was making a comparison to UW and the decisions they made that led to consistent success and IUs decisions over a similar time frame. 

Like @Seeking6said, we have a president now that understands the value of successful sports programs so hopefully that translates on the field/floor. 

I get it. But bringing up Brand is beating a dead horse. Literally. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Fischer said during the broadcast that he had already heard rumors of NIL amounts offered to some of our players by other schools to enter the portal. 

I heard that too.  Outside of McCulley and Lucas, I'm not sure which IU players would fetch a hefty amount on the open NIL market.  I wouldn't mind getting a whole new staff and 50 new players on the roster via via portal and recruiting ala Colorado.

Edited by Common Sense

11 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

I heard that too.  Outside of McCulley and Lucas, I'm not sure which IU players would fetch a hefty amount on the open NIL market.  I wouldn't mind getting a whole new staff and 50 new players on the roster via via portal and recruiting ala Colorado.

I was told those two and Sorsby have already been offered NIL money by other programs.

Edited by thirdgenhoosier