Potential HC Candidates

KDB

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If we're paying $15 mil to get Tom Allen out the door, then it makes no sense to me to not go all in... And if I was one of the people who are  dishing out that money, a parallel or slight upgrade would really steam me...

The people who are worried about IU getting left out in the cold when the Pangaea conference is formed are right... 

I 100% agree with you. We BETTER go all in. I'm just saying that you can't force that person (whomever it may be) to accept the money and the job. Dolson can lay it all out there, but at the end of the day we still may not have enough to sell the top candidates. 

I'm hoping this doesn't happen, but it is a realistic possibility.

• Like 2

Toledo Offenses Under Candle as Head Coach

2016: 9-4 (6-2)
Total Offense - #30 (460.9 YPG)
Scoring Offense - #31 (35.0 PPG)
Passing Offense - #40 (253.0 YPG)
Rushing Offense - #27 (207.9 YPG)
2017: 11-3 (7-1)
Total Offense - #7 (517.8 YPG)
Scoring Offense - #19 (38.0 PPG)
Passing Offense - #10 (322.8 YPG)
Rushing Offense - #46 (195.0 YPG)
2018: 7-6 (5-3)
Total Offense - #14 (483.9 YPG)
Scoring Offense - #16 (36.4 PPG)
Passing Offense - #26 (279.9 YPG)
Rushing Offense - #29 (204.0 YPG)
2019: 6-6 (3-5)
Total Offense - #30 (443.8 YPG)
Scoring Offense - #9 (40.4 PPG)
Passing Offense - #68 (227.9 YPG)
Rushing Offense - #25 (215.9 YPG)
2020: 4-2 (4-2)
Total Offense - #13 (494.0 YPG)
Scoring Offense - #21 (35.0 PPG)
Passing Offense - #9 (325.8 YPG)
Rushing Offense - #60 (168.2 YPG)
2021: 7-6 (5-3)
Total Offense - #38 (435.5 YPG)
Scoring Offense - #27 (33.4 PPG)
Passing Offense - #61 (239.1 YPG)
Rushing Offense - #30 (196.5 YPG)
2022: 9-5 (5-3)
Total Offense - #54 (402.6 YPG)
Scoring Offense - #46 (31.3 PPG)
Passing Offense - #75 (225.2 YPG)
Rushing Offense - #48 (177.4 YPG)
2023: 11-1 (8-0)
Total Offense - #32 (430.9 YPG)
Scoring Offense - #20 (35.2 PPG)
Passing Offense - #72 (219.3 YPG)
Rushing Offense - #7 (211.6 YPG)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

BTB post under a Next IU Coach type heading says both the Kent St and Toledo coaches signed extensions.  Sorry if this has already been posted, but I hadn’t seen it.

Candle signed his in Jan.. wouldn't worry about it. 

I don't think Kent State's coach is in the running. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

It’s a done deal people. This search crap is all smoke and mirrors. Giving them time to get all the ducks in a row. Downgrade hire. 

Still trying to figure out where you're coming from.... 

and to be clear... you're saying we are without a doubt hiring Frye and he is 100% a downgrade from Allen? 

Again.. your words. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Do you think NC State coach makes too much money to be considered a legitimate candidate? Or do you think he’s loyal to NC State? If I’m IU he’s just instantly top of my list.

I don't know. It could be all of that or it could be his name just hasn't surfaced yet. Like I've said that list isn't a final one. 

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Still trying to figure out where you're coming from.... 

and to be clear... you're saying we are without a doubt hiring Frye and he is 100% a downgrade from Allen? 

Again.. your words. 

That's what he's saying and he's sticking to his story. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I'm optimistic about almost anyone because Allen was so bad. Nice guy but terrible at running a program. 

I'm not trying to derail this thread, but I think it's worth a discussion when talking about potential hires.

CTA made many questionable calls, both on the field and off. He was/is likely too loyal and too invested in the players and coaches on a human level (aka, a normal guy). It always seemed integrity and character-building opportunities were as important to him as winning (and dare I say, maybe even more). Allen is a great motivator and is vocal about his desires to be a "leader of men". Again, very noble and commendable.

But as a football coach -- fair or not -- winning is the only metric that matters. Whereas CTA wanted high-character guys who are good at football, the really successful coaches want highly talented players who also happen to have good character. It's a small but important distinction.

The next coach needs to demand excellence on the field (and from his staff) first. A relentless pursuit to be the best between the lines. If you're not doing your job, you're not sticking around. 

And maybe it's sociopathic, but the loyalty (in this context) should be to the skill and not the person.

Edited by MoyeCowbell
  • Like 1

I have a hard time with Frye.  He’s kind of like Carey but behind by ten years.  He’d have to be amazing with other attributes which I just don’t know.  

I do NOT want us on a track where we hire somebody just because of IU ties, ex-IU players be damned.  Too big of a hire to limit it to that.   It’s not like we are Alabama where our internal list is full of success.   Just IMO.  I know some of you disagree.  

• Like 2