Potential HC Candidates

KDB

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I hate to be negative, but if that is the list, we're going to have to revive this thread in 3-4 years.

It's not a final list. They've still got at least a couple more names that will be added. Then they will do in person interviews later in the week. 

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Well, we are in a tough position because we are Indiana University Football. Sometimes pessimism is realism. 

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It's not a final list. They've still got at least a couple more names that will be added. Then they will do in person interviews later in the week. 

And, to be fair to Dolson, that's just my opinion.  I don't know poop about running a successful college football program.  

This all seems very fluid and ever changing. So there's a "want" list, then there's guys from that list who "listen", then of those the interested, then guys who take the call/Zoom, then the guys who say, yes, I would like to be the HC. Then some background, then more formalized meetings, then paring it down from the meetings, then the decision. 

54 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Well this list isn’t exactly what I was hoping.  As someone noted on BTB this could be a sign that the are still going on the cheap for salary, ugh.  Hope that isn’t the case and others pop up or this list is incomplete.

Or that the top candidates aren't interested in the job

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I really hope Herman makes it on the list. Otherwise, those names were not very enticing. Candle is the only name on that list that I would be optimistic about.

Maybe it’s a smoke screen, or different people saying different things, I have no idea, but I was told Dolson was in Boca Raton to meet with Herman, so take that how you will. Not sure if it’s true or not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I would say top candidates aren’t interested and salary are closely tied together.

I don't think that's a holdup. I also think Dolson is doing a legitimate search and not just going with the flashy resume. Talk to a lot of people and find the best possible fit. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Shouldn't this be the mindset Dolson is trying to break out of with this hire? 

Definitely. And if he can that's going to be awesome. Doesn't mean he will though. 

I could set the expectations to Blake Lively that I'm 10x the lover as Ryan Reynolds. Doesn't mean she's going to leave him for me. 

Candle has been my #1 for a long time. Terrific offensive mind who has been successful his entire tenure as OC and HC at Toledo, often having top offenses nationally. His players seem to love him, and he’s been a successful recruiter in the MAC, bringing in top classes in the conference routinely. I think he’s a potential future star in CFB, and I honestly didn’t think he’d leave for IU so very excited to hear he’s entertaining the opening. I think he’s a home run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Definitely. And if he can that's going to be awesome. Doesn't mean he will though. 

I could set the expectations to Blake Lively that I'm 10x the lover as Ryan Reynolds. Doesn't mean she's going to leave him for me. 

If we're paying $15 mil to get Tom Allen out the door, then it makes no sense to me to not go all in... And if I was one of the people who are  dishing out that money, a parallel or slight upgrade would really steam me...

The people who are worried about IU getting left out in the cold when the Pangaea conference is formed are right... 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don't think that's a holdup. I also think Dolson is doing a legitimate search and not just going with the flashy resume. Talk to a lot of people and find the best possible fit. 

Do you think NC State coach makes too much money to be considered a legitimate candidate? Or do you think he’s loyal to NC State? If I’m IU he’s just instantly top of my list.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KDB said:

Candle has been my #1 for a long time. Terrific offensive mind who has been successful his entire tenure as OC and HC at Toledo, often having top offenses nationally. His players seem to love him, and he’s been a successful recruiter in the MAC, bringing in top classes in the conference routinely. I think he’s a potential future star in CFB, and I honestly didn’t think he’d leave for IU so very excited to hear he’s entertaining the opening. I think he’s a home run.

I'm in this camp too. If we "settle" for Candle, I'll be fine with that