Potential HC Candidates

KDB

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I couldn't care less about flashy, just give me the best coach possible. Just like Sanders at Colorado was flashy but I wouldn't want him at IU

Flashy maybe was not my best word.  I think we all want the best coach possible.  I me that means a proven P5 coach over Candle.  I want substance with the flash, not just the flash of someone unproven.

1 minute ago, iuthruandthru said:

Flashy maybe was not my best word.  I think we all want the best coach possible.  I me that means a proven P5 coach over Candle.  I want substance with the flash, not just the flash of someone unproven.

So who meets that criteria that is available. Experience plus flashy

Article in the FW Journal Gazette, which no longer allows me to link. Written by Dylan Sinn who covers most of the major college news for the paper. He states that college football is "closer than ever" to having a 50-70 team super conference that will rake in millions more than we now are getting from the tv deals. It is going to be football driven, and was probably the leading factor in IU biting the bullet and paying the larger payout to CTA instead of waiting for it to reduce. Essentially, that it is imperative that IU make its way into that 50-70 group because the revenue disparity between the haves and the have nots is going to be so great, that those in the latter category will see not only their football programs, but all their athletic teams fall way behind.

This is the reason for the sense of urgency, and this is the selling point being used to sway boosters that have the old school belief that the majority of the department's funds should be sent to the basketball program.

To me, this cries out "go big, or go home" more than any other thing I've read about the coaching search, and really hammers home the idea that this needs to be a home run hire.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I am not going to research it but I would bet that most of the great coaches either started out atva lower level and moved up. The other were a coordinator at a top program and hired at another top program lime Smart

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

When is the last time a coach used Indiana as a stepping stone?

Not hiring the best coach we can because we have a fear of something happening, that hasn't happened in a very long time seems silly to me. 

Great post and my thoughts entirely. That’s a defeatist attitude that you can’t keep your coach because we are IU. People that worry about that also don’t ask out the pretty girls because they are worried they won’t keep them when another guy comes along. Whatever….i wouldn’t be married to a homecoming queen if I thought like that because my wife is way out of my league…but my confidence and my personality sealed the deal.

Back to the coaching talk…hire the best guy for the job. There are lots of good coaches that are happy where they are. Not everyone wants the stress and pressure of coaching at an Ohio St or Alabama etc and heck there are only a few of those jobs available and only so many Alma maters to come calling. Take your shot…hire the best you can…improve and let the chips fall where they may…the program has to be better off than before. If you have someone homegrown that is a slam dunk then sure…but I don’t think there is any reason to believe we have a can’t miss first time or assistant coach that has IU ties that’s 100 confident will get the job done. You don’t pay 20 million to get rid of someone for an iffy hire.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Reacher said:

So the two "news" orgs posting this are the NY Post and Fox News. They're just trying to stir up the anti "woke" and "cancel culture" arguments. I was one who mentioned Gruden a while ago and I don't think this is a realistic hire for IU. I had kinda forgotten just how idiotic his emails were. But I had mentioned him primarily as an example of the type of former coach IUFB should be kicking the tires on. The more I think about it, the more I lean towards a hire like ARE only because he would bring some sort of spark to the program that others are lacking unless they somehow land a guy that seems unattainable or comes out of left field. That being said, it would be a huge gamble, but who isn't at this point. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

BLOOMINGTON – IU is engaging prominent search firm TurnkeyZRG as part of its due diligence in selecting its next head football coach, IndyStar has learned.

Turnkey, whose recent clients include the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Boston Red Sox, the San Francisco 49ers, several major sports leagues and a handful of other professional franchises, is among the most well-known search firms in the country. Its website cites its involvement in “over 1,400 executive searches,” with an extensive collegiate client list — including the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Alabama, Michigan, LSU, Oklahoma, Penn State and others — as well.

Indiana’s financial obligation to Turnkey was not immediately available, but prior searches typically included five-figure fees. South Carolina reportedly paid in excess of $34,000 to Turnkey for its involvement in the search that led to Shane Beamer’s hiring, while Wisconsin paid $50,000 following the search that ended with the Badgers hiring Luke Fickell.

Firms are typically employed through the search process for a variety of purposes that require a relative amount of discretion.

Their services can cover anything from background vetting, to acting as a third-party intermediary to sound out potential candidates in ways that allow all parties plausible deniability, to eventually connecting candidates with programs.

Edited by IU247

41 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I would take Chucky in a heart beat. But it’s Frye with our OC and DC staying on staff. 

Who are your sources? It doesn't have to be names. But since you have repeatedly posted this, you might has well give us a little bit more information as to why you think this is already a done deal. Otherwise, why keep posting over and over and over. 

• Like 4

All I care about is the athletic department financially plans to have money set away for the rest of the coaching staff.   The more I pay attention to successful programs, the more I realize the head coach only goes so far.  You need to make a financial investment in the OC, DC, and rest of staff.  Pay 4 or 5 million to a HC, if justified, but also expect to need another couple of million for staff.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I would take Chucky in a heart beat. But it’s Frye with our OC and DC staying on staff. 

He doesn't know anything. And from reading his posts, I think this guy is a Purdue fan. Everything he says is negative. We have a lot of PU trolls that pose as IU fans on our boards.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I hope that isn't true.

He's full of crap. He literally picked the worst candidate in our pool and then said "keeping our coordinators." Ridiculous. IU isn't paying 15 million in buyout money for a staff of Frye/Carey/Guerreri. If that's the case, Memorial Stadium will be a ghost town next season.

• Like 1