Potential HC Candidates

KDB

4 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

That worked 30 years ago, but the sport is played entirely differently today. You can’t build a smash mouth football team that will compete in the Big Ten from nothing, at least not in the time frame that will keep a coach his job. If you’re not getting close to 30 points a game, you’re not going to win consistently.

With such a team we will look like a version of Iowa that loses instead of wins.

Respectfully disagree. With the transfer portal, you can build a serviceable line quickly while also building the long-term, homegrown depth in the lines. Michigan has relied heavily on the portal to rebuild its o-line the past two years, and is on the verge of a 3rd straight CFP.

I'm not saying that the same Wisconsin scheme is the ticket today, but rather that IU should be following the same philosophy of building around what your home recruiting base is producing. In this case, it's linemen. And Michigan and Iowa have proven that power football still wins in the B1G.

15 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Is someone saying that Justin Frye has rumored to have been hired? Or am I reading it wrong? I sure hope not. That would be disastrous. OSU fans would applaud it. They can't stand him.

That is what one person is saying, yes. I don't see any reason at all to believe that to be true. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also Utah is a better program than IU and they took a chance on Myer even though he was from the MAC

I don't know that they were when Meyer was hired.  They weren't part of the Pac-10/12 until after he was hired.  They had one Mountain West championships in the 90s and one WAC championship before Meyer was hired and then you have to go back to the 60s.  I know IUs history well, but when Utah hired Meyer I would not say that they were a better program.  Meyer put them on the map.  But yes, we screwed the pooch on not giving him a chance.  Was that Donninger? (sp?)

Edited by thirdgenhoosier
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Respectfully disagree. With the transfer portal, you can build a serviceable line quickly while also building the long-term, homegrown depth in the lines. Michigan has relied heavily on the portal to rebuild its o-line the past two years, and is on the verge of a 3rd straight CFP.

I'm not saying that the same Wisconsin scheme is the ticket today, but rather that IU should be following the same philosophy of building around what your home recruiting base is producing. In this case, it's linemen. And Michigan and Iowa have proven that power football still wins in the B1G.

Iowa is in for a rude awakening now that divisions are going away unless they get better on offense quickly. We will never recruit like Michigan does.

We absolutely need good lines; I’m with you there, but building your team around the running game in 2023 is going to be losing football far more often than it’s going to be winning.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Kansas hired a guy from Buffalo which is the MAC and he has done well

Wasn't Campbell at Iowa St from the MAC

Not saying Candle isn’t a good choice, it just won’t get anyone excited including me.  

Tressel came from Youngstown St.  it’s fine to keep pulling names out like you are doing but the point is the tradition IU fan won’t care.  Is the Candle hire gonna sell tickets?  Nope.  And maybe that’s fine for the administration but it’s the same old IU football in my mind.  Time to be bold and flashy.  Personally that means even ARE over Candle.*

*Note: if Candle is hired I hope he kills it and I have to eat crow after crapping all over him now 😂 

• Like 1

I've skimmed through the last couple of pages.  And, I'm going to have to side with @btownqb on this one.  

Discounting ARE because he has not been a head coach would be a mistake.

The majority of the guys getting named in this thread are looking for a P5 gig they can turn into a better P5 gig. 

So, we make the 'right' hire and get someone to get us to 6-6 in 2 years, with an opportunity to play a bowl game in Detroit, only for him to get the chance to go somewhere like South Carolina because of the 'great' job he did at IU?  Is that what we want?

Or, do we say, 'What the Hell' and take a chance on one of our own who will stay at IU and build off that 6-6 record.  

If it doesn't work, we're no worse off because we'll be replacing the other guy in 3-4 years regardless (either because he did not win or does win and moves on).

I'll take the 'What the Hell approach', thank you very much.  It takes the risk of losing a coach whose winning out of the equation.  I can't stress how important that is.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I've skimmed through the last couple of pages.  And, I'm going to have to side with @btownqb on this one.  

The majority of the guys getting named in this thread are looking for a P5 gig they can turn into a better P5 gig. 

So, we make the 'right' hire and get someone to get us to 6-6 in 2 years, with an opportunity to play a bowl game in Detroit, only for him to get the chance to go somewhere like South Carolina because of the 'great' job he did at IU?  Is that what we want?

Or, do we say, 'What the Hell' and take a chance on one of our own who will stay at IU and build off that 6-6 record.  

If it doesn't work, we're no worse off because we'll be replacing the other guy in 3-4 years regardless (either because he did not win or does win and moves on).

I'll take the 'What the Hell approach', thank you very much.  It takes the risk of losing a coach whose winning out of the equation.  I can't stress how important that is.

You summed up my opinion very well. 

I mean, seriously, we only need to look to our 'friends' in W. Lafayette to see what the average coach has in mind once he starts winning at a place like IU or Purdue. 

Brohm did to the Boilers exactly what any of our list (outside of ARE) will do to us.

Are we that desperate to have that fleeting 1-2 year opportunity to hang with the 'cool kids', all the while still being thought of as a lesser program even if we do go 8-4 or 9-3?  

That better offer comes and some rando coach will do to IU the same thing Brohm did to the Boikers.

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When is the last time a coach used Indiana as a stepping stone?

Not hiring the best coach we can because we have a fear of something happening, that hasn't happened in a very long time seems silly to me. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I mean, seriously, we only need to look to our 'friends' in W. Lafayette to see what the average coach has in mind once he starts winning at a place like IU or Purdue. 

Brohm did to the Boilers exactly what any of our list (outside of ARE) will do to us.

Are we that desperate to have that fleeting 1-2 year opportunity to hang with the 'cool kids', all the while still being thought of as a lesser program even if we do go 8-4 or 9-3?  

That better offer comes and some rando coach will do to IU the same thing Brohm did to the Boikers.

I am desperate and want to hang with the cool kids.  I would take 8-4 or 9-3. 😜

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

You’re never gonna change my mind.  Time to be bold and flashy, and so not traditional IU football.  Maybe it fails but at least it won’t be boring.

I couldn't care less about flashy, just give me the best coach possible. Just like Sanders at Colorado was flashy but I wouldn't want him at IU

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Brohm went home. He didn't just leave Purdue for the first offer better than Purdue. 

• Like 2