Potential HC Candidates

KDB

2 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

This is a great point.  Again shows he would need a really solid staff to support him.  I know a few years ago a coach did both jobs at the same time.  If ARE is willing then maybe that?

Dan Campbell of all people would be one to make this work. 

• Like 1

We need to identify talent in Indy better.. there are MAC teams, Cinci, etc every year with guys that are better than our 2s, 3s, for sure... and some play makers. 

How tf did we not offer Carson Steele? 

Anyways... a MAC coach would be solid because they've recruited the midwest. IMO--- we should always be somewhat of an attractive option to some under-the-radar FL kids because of the opportunity to play in the B1G. Have to keep identifying those talents. 

I'm way more worried about who we recruit and how we develop, and consistently we can do both..  compared to what we call on 3rd and 2. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

FWIW, Chris on the banners site thinks it will be Jason Candle.

Sounds like Chryst is still possibility too and that Fitzgerald might be Dolson's choice, but not sure if Whitten will approve of that hire. That is typical IU if true...just let the athletic director do their job without interference.

• Like 2

I don’t know where we rank on paying assistants.  But we need to get to par.  We consistently shoot ourselves in the foot as a team.   Our young talent hasn’t developed in many cases.   We need a killer staff.  Football isn’t basketball in terms of staffing where it’s a smaller staff and the head coach can have a tighter grip.  Too many moving parts in football.   You need a deep and talented staff all the way to S and C.   Get fundamentals back.   Penalties, poor tackling, boneheaded mistakes, good recruits who never develop.   This all comes back to the staff.   It’s as huge as the big hire itself.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, KDB said:

I’d rather have Chryst than Fitzgerald if it were between those two. I think we need an offensive minded guy and Fitzgerald’s last few seasons at NW are concerning.

I don’t see Chryst as offensive minded.  To me he comes from the old days of the Big Ten where you run it every first and second down.  I just have concerns that that can work here.

6 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I don’t see Chryst as offensive minded.  To me he comes from the old days of the Big Ten where you run it every first and second down.  I just have concerns that that can work here.

I don’t disagree. Fitzgerald is a defensive guy was my main point. I won’t be thrilled if he’s the hire but you can’t completely ignore his record at Wisconsin.

• Like 1

We recently moved to AZ, and after seeing what's been going on at AZ this season, my pick would be Jedd Fisch.

His first season at AZ they won 1 game (total rebuild from not winning at all in 2020 and 4 wins in 2019 - previous coach's last game was a 70-7 blowout against ASU).

Last season, they won 5 games.

This year, they've won 9, only losing to Washington by 7 (of Penix fame), USC in 3ot, and Miss St in ot in non-conference.

The past two weeks they annihilated Utah 42-18 (it was even more lopsided than that score suggests), and they beat their rival ASU 59-23.  All of ASU's points came in garbage time.

He's done at Arizona exactly what we need at IU, and he'd arguably be starting even further along here than he did at AZ.

• Like 9