Potential HC Candidates

KDB

The other thing I'd note is that while bringing in someone with a high powered offensive scheme may win the press conference, it may not be the best decision in the long run. 

~30 years ago Wisconsin was in the same place IU is today. Barry Alvarez recognized that he needed to build around the one thing his state consistently produced: large, strong farm boys who could push people around.

Indiana may not be a FB recruiting hotbed, but one thing the state does produce on a fairly consistent basis is linemen. Call me crazy, but I'd look for a coach who wants to build a power rushing attack and a team identity based on winning in the trenches.

We're years away from out recruiting Ohio State, Michigan, and USC for skill players. But Michigan (and to a lesser extent, Iowa) have shown the last few years that power football still wins the day in the B1G.

I don’t know what Justin Frye's offensive scheme would be, but I'm guessing it would be run heavy, while working in some of the passing concepts he's learned under Ryan Day. Seems like an ideal fit for the position.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Dolson has already lost the press conference. He should have already announced his decision. The longer he waits the more underwhelming it’s going to be when he announces it and the programs slips deeper to an all new bottom. 

Wait... like you're saying he should have already announced who the new HC was? For real, that is your "in the correct state of mind" opinion? Eeeesh

• Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I don't think our current AD has anything to do with our poor football performance for 70+ years, but yeah, my job is easier than Scott Dolsons.. I'll say that much. 

Nope! But he has everything to do with it now! And now is where we are at. The pressure got to him and he caved. He needs to make a great hire and if he can’t he’s just proven he’s not worthy of his position. After all it’s a business. And he has to prove he can hire winners. 

• Confused 2

Just now, jojo123 said:

Nope! But he has everything to do with it now! And now is where we are at. The pressure got to him and he caved. He needs to make a great hire and if he can’t he’s just proven he’s not worthy of his position. After all it’s a business. And he has to prove he can hire winners. 

what pressure made who cave? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jojo123 said:

Wait a minute, I thought you said he'd already made his hire in Frye?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I don't think our current AD has anything to do with our poor football performance for 70+ years, but yeah, my job is easier than Scott Dolsons.. I'll say that much. 

Scott has GOT TO get this hire right, (at least move the needle)...  I can't imagine the large amount of money the donors/boosters paid to help cover CTA's contract, was offered without some good interest from appealing coaches.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

The other thing I'd note is that while bringing in someone with a high powered offensive scheme may win the press conference, it may not be the best decision in the long run. 

~30 years ago Wisconsin was in the same place IU is today. Barry Alvarez recognized that he needed to build around the one thing his state consistently produced: large, strong farm boys who could push people around.

Indiana may not be a FB recruiting hotbed, but one thing the state does produce on a fairly consistent basis is linemen. Call me crazy, but I'd look for a coach who wants to build a power rushing attack and a team identity based on winning in the trenches.

We're years away from out recruiting Ohio State, Michigan, and USC for skill players. But Michigan (and to a lesser extent, Iowa) have shown the last few years that power football still wins the day in the B1G.

I don’t know what Justin Frye's offensive scheme would be, but I'm guessing it would be run heavy, while working in some of the passing concepts he's learned under Ryan Day. Seems like an ideal fit for the position.

That worked 30 years ago, but the sport is played entirely differently today. You can’t build a smash mouth football team that will compete in the Big Ten from nothing, at least not in the time frame that will keep a coach his job. If you’re not getting close to 30 points a game, you’re not going to win consistently.

With such a team we will look like a version of Iowa that loses instead of wins.

Just now, jojo123 said:

Do you think he made the decision to fire Allen all on his own? Please tell me you don’t think that? 

The pressure to fire CTA, which was literally the result that everyone wanted? 

I have no clue what you're trying to say. 

Edited by btownqb