Potential HC Candidates

KDB

I guess you have to ask what is the most important thing when looking at a HC candidate. Do you want a person with HC experience and if we do then it will probably come from a smaller conference. Do you want someone known as a great recruiter who has been a coordinator at a high level program. If we go the experience route does he have good recruiting connections who can recruit the higher rated kids.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess you have to ask what is the most important thing when looking at a HC candidate. Do you want a person with HC experience and if we do then it will probably come from a smaller conference. Do you want someone known as a great recruiter who has been a coordinator at a high level program. If we go the experience route does he have good recruiting connections who can recruit the higher rated kids.

My hope is we leave no stone unturned and find the best possible candidate.  I understand the want for experience, but I also hope we don’t hire a guy who failed at place with more resources than we have available (for example, a Gerry Dinardo type) just for the sake of experience.

• Like 2

I just talked to my guy good friend in Bloomington. He was my old college roommate. He worked for IU in sports management and had several connections with former IU players. I just thought I would ask what he thought or heard… This was was his reply and only a rumor of what he heard. Mind you, this is what he has heard, but he said who knows. Take it for what it’s worth. He said his source is from inside athletics…

The rumor over the last few weeks…  Is that Allen will be fired and his replacement is Antwaan Randall El. Apparently it’s a done deal. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Allen is a good guy and incredible values but unfortunately that doesn’t win games. 

He will end up a defensive coordinator somewhere. Another rumor is Southern Cal is interested in him for the DC job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

I just talked to my guy good friend in Bloomington. He was my old college roommate. He worked for IU in sports management and had several connections with former IU players. I just thought I would ask what he thought or heard… This was was his reply and only a rumor of what he heard. Mind you, this is what he has heard, but he said who knows. Take it for what it’s worth. He said his source is from inside athletics…

The rumor over the last few weeks…  Is that Allen will be fired and his replacement is Antwaan Randall El. Apparently it’s a done deal. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Allen is a good guy and incredible values but unfortunately that doesn’t win games. 

He will end up a defensive coordinator somewhere. Another rumor is Southern Cal is interested in him for the DC job.

I love ARE. But damn that doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Been saying ARE for weeks. What he's done with Detroit WR's alone is better than what we've seen the last 2 years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Been saying ARE for weeks. What he's done with Detroit WR's alone is better than what we've seen the last 2 years.

Dolson going the same route he did with Woody... Indiana guy, Alum, all time Hoosier great, pro career both as a player and coach...

Might work out... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I love ARE. But damn that doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. 

I would love ARE, but who knows how solid his source is in athletics….

One of my fondest and crazy memories when we were roommates (1990-92 at Woodbridge Apartments)… We had a huge party and he invited several IU players …I had a Foosball table and they were all play us. It was Matt Nover, Pat Knight, Pat Graham and Brian Evans. Pat Graham was on my balcony throwing wood of our deck (we had a fireplace) and people were complaining and called the cops. Matt Nover was absolutely hammered and threw up all over my bathroom floor and forgot his wallet. He came back the next day to get it…lol!!

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

I would love ARE, but who knows how solid his source is in athletics….

One of my fondest and crazy memories when we were roommates (1990-92 at Woodbridge Apartments)… We had a huge party and he invited several IU players …I had a Foosball table and they were all play us. It was Matt Nover, Pat Knight, Pat Graham and Brian Evans. Pat Graham was on my balcony throwing wood of our deck (we had a fireplace) and people were complaining and called the cops. Matt Nover was absolutely hammered and threw up all over my bathroom floor and forgot his wallet. He came back the next day to get it…lol!!

Are you drinking now? lol

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

But Woody had HC experience.  ARE hasn’t been a HC or OC.  If true this sounds incredibly risky.

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

As much as I like and respect ARE, I’m. It liking the idea of making him head coach. It seems like the kind of move that has a much more likelihood of failing than succeeding. 

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I loved ARE as a player, but that scares me. He’s never even been a coordinator.  I’m pretty sure this is the same scenario as Cam Cameron, NFL experience as a coach but nothing above a position coach 

I understand the concern...

ARE is a leader though, and that's the first box on any coaching resume as far as I'm concerned... 

• Like 1

I think we have to understand where we are in the pecking order of jobs. Can we poach a guy like Mike Hart or a coordinator from an elite school?? Probably not. We to have to find a guy from within or just go throw the bag at KD. We don't have a Mack Brown hanging around like UNC does. We don't have the NIL juice that other programs have. It's unfortunately going to be a risk hire just because of the world we live in. 

ARE would check most of my boxes but not all for sure....again unless the bag is thrown at somebody.