Potential HC Candidates

KDB

I’ve always been a huge Gruden fan (before what happened) and enjoyed his IU ties.  The issue is how on earth does he recruit in urban areas with what he’s said?   He can say he was just talking #%%* but that may be a bridge too far to many recruits.  He can say he’s not an actual racist and what was taken was private conversations so there’s a BS component to it.  But it may just be too big of a problem with recruits. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno

55 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I think people are spitballing.  There are just too many names and rumors flying around today.  

It’s clear to me what’s going on. There have been a handful of people that have gotten contacted. IU is in the process of narrowing things to finalize whoever their top candidate is sooner rather than later. If they don’t get things done with that person they’ll move on to another target. What has also been verified is who isn’t in contention and that’s everyone that Feldman mentioned lol

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It’s clear to me what’s going on. There have been a handful of people that have gotten contacted. IU is in the process of narrowing things to finalize whoever their top candidate is sooner rather than later. If they don’t get things done with that person they’ll move on to another target. What has also been verified is who isn’t in contention and that’s everyone that Feldman mentioned lol

Would you say this person that they want to finalize something with is Candle? I’m also assuming Fitz has to be approved by the President before interviewing. Which also could be taking time. Would you say IU has had someone tell them yes but Isn’t IU’s 1A or 1B. “Fallback plan.”

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Ok.  That last sentence made me laugh!!

15 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Would you say this person that they want to finalize something with is Candle? I’m also assuming Fitz has to be approved by the President before interviewing. Which also could be taking time. Would you say IU has had someone tell them yes but Isn’t IU’s 1A or 1B. “Fallback plan.”

I’m not 100% sure at this point. I think with discussions still on going it’s hard to say who the #1 target is because I’ve heard 3 or 4 different names today alone. I think we’ll know more in 2-3 days. 

Edited by DC2345

I want someone with energy for IU who sees what we can become.  Not somebody you have to beg to think about us.  Sure, have questions and discussions about what we need to commit to —that’s actually a positive because it reflects a plan and strategy— but show energy and enthusiasm.    

It’s like the girl who you ask out or date who is exceptionally complicated and who overplays her hand because she thinks a billionaire is coming for her.  Pass.  You want the coach (girl in my analogy) who is enthusiastic for you and what you can become.  

These national writers have absolutely 0 knowledge of what's going on at IU. The reason they keep throwing out these "mid" candidates like Shepard, Wommack, Frye, Randle El, is because they think very little of us and expect us to make a risky, gamble hire on someone that isn't proven. Look at A&M. They were all saying they'd land Swinney, Day, or someone big. Apparently they weren't plugged in there either.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The Boca Raton flight is interesting because that’s exactly where FAU is. Not nearby. The exact town.  On the other hand, it could be a family who spent the holiday weekend in South Florida lol.  Not unheard of for a Thanksgiving weekend.  

There's also a huge donor who makes his winter home there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fkfootball said:

Whether it's;

Candle

Chryst

Fitzgerald 

Herman

Creighton 

Fritz

Cignetti

I don't care. Hire a proven HEAD coach. No coordinators. No NFL position coaches. I am tired of gambling. Get a guy who has proven he can get the job done here.

wild to me that someone would want Paul Chryst over ARE. To each their own, I guess. Creighton seems like another shitty option. 

"proven" by your definition is very "light" imo. 

More like... "Has been a D1 HC before" 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

wild to me that someone would want Paul Chryst over ARE. To each their own, I guess. Creighton seems like another shitty option. 

ARE wouldn't even be talked about if he hadn't of played here. Just like Mike Woodson wouldn't be our coach if he hadn't of played here. Paul Chryst was 67-28 as a Head Coach. Yes, he's more attractive than a guy who's never even been a coordinator before.

Edited by Fkfootball
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Is it really that wild? I get thinking ARE could be a good coach, but he has zero experience to be able to say that.

if he wasn’t a good football player at IU he wouldn’t even be a candidate. I don’t think it’s that wild to prefer Chryst. 

2 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

ARE wouldn't even be talked about if he hadn't of played here. Just like Mike Woodson wouldn't be our coach if he hadn't of played here. Paul Chryst was 67-28 as a Head Coach. Yes, he's more attractive than a guy who's never even been a coordinator before.

Meh. None of these dudes are gonna make it work at IU, most aren't even realistic. 

No, he's not more attractive to Indiana. Maybe to Mich State. He looks like a tree on the sideline, a tree has more personality. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Not a candidate 

That’s a shame as I actually would be ok with his hire.  While I prefer a head coach with  power 5 experience I think a coach from the DeBoer coaching line would be solid.  If not a solid experienced coach then I would prefer a top notch OC over a MAC coach personally.

• Like 2