Potential HC Candidates

KDB

5 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

That’s a shame as I actually would be ok with his hire.  While I prefer a head coach with  power 5 experience I think a coach from the DeBoer coaching line would be solid.  If not a solid experienced coach then I would prefer a top notch OC over a MAC coach personally.

He's never really been a true OC. He's just gotten different title's to warrant his pay because he is a really good WR coach. 

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The Boca Raton flight is interesting because that’s exactly where FAU is. Not nearby. The exact town.  On the other hand, it could be a family who spent the holiday weekend in South Florida lol.  Not unheard of for a Thanksgiving weekend.  

I believe that is where Mr. Pfau spends his winters. So it could be related to the coaching search and not Herman. 

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Meh. None of these dudes are gonna make it work at IU, most aren't even realistic. 

No, he's not more attractive to Indiana. Maybe to Mich State. He looks like a tree on the sideline, a tree has more personality. 

Chryst teams play fundamentally solid football. Something that we aren't used to.

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

wild to me that someone would want Paul Chryst over ARE. To each their own, I guess. Creighton seems like another shitty option. 

"proven" by your definition is very "light" imo. 

More like... "Has been a D1 HC before" 

I don't get the ARE love - what has he done? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He's never really been a true OC. He's just gotten different title's to warrant his pay because he is a really good WR coach. 

That’s good to know, then maybe not him but I will still stand by my statement otherwise.  MAC coach just doesn’t move the needle for me.  If it’s him I hope he proves me wrong but it just feels like a classic IU move when they need to not do that.  Hell, ignore Wilson the person, that hire worked on the field.  He even brought Allen in to fix the D recognizing what he needed to do to win.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't get the ARE love - what has he done? 

I guess I'm confused as to why he hasn't been on more lists to begin with. Have you ever met him? 

But.. his personality, and I believe he'd be able to recruit, would be the main reasons. If we have to convince ARE to take the job, I'm out... but in my perfect scenario... he waltzed into Dolson's office with a fully laid out plan, what he needed, etc to be successful. 

Paul Chryst is coming to IU, going to slap on an IU pullover, and walk into recruits home in FL, in Carmel, in Cinci and Paul Chryst is going to convince kids to come to Indiana. I see no way shape or form he would do that, or even want to. It'd be a paycheck. You can take Paul Chryst's name out and insert about 85% of the mentions in this thread and it would fit what I just said. Bunch of "nice" coaches listed in this thread, very few of them are going to be able to recruit at Indiana. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I guess I'm confused as to why he hasn't been on more lists to begin with. Have you ever met him? 

But.. his personality, and I believe he'd be able to recruit, would be the main reasons. If we have to convince ARE to take the job, I'm out... but in my perfect scenario... he waltzed into Dolson's office with a fully laid out plan, what he needed, etc to be successful. 

Paul Chryst is coming to IU, going to slap on an IU pullover, and walk into recruits home in FL, in Carmel, in Cinci and Paul Chryst is going to convince kids to come to Indiana. I see no way shape or form he would do that, or even want to. It'd be a paycheck. You can take Paul Chryst's name out and insert about 85% of the mentions in this thread and it would fit what I just said. Bunch of "nice" coaches listed in this thread, very few of them are going to be able to recruit at Indiana. 

He probably hasn't been on more list because he has zero college experience and has never even been a coordinator? He's an NFL position coach, and the position he coaches is top 5 in the NFL in drops.

I personally think the recruiting piece is a challenge for any coach at IU, but the key to recruiting isn't having a great personality. It's NIL, winning, and getting kids to the NFL. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

He probably hasn't been on more list because he has zero college experience and has never even been a coordinator? He's an NFL position coach, and the position he coaches is top 5 in the NFL in drops.

I personally think the recruiting piece is a challenge for any coach at IU, but the key to recruiting isn't having a great personality. It's NIL, winning, and getting kids to the NFL. 

Without the personality, it's not relevant what else you have. ARE is intoxicating in a good way. 

So I don't agree with you. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It is known that ARE wants the job

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

wild to me that someone would want Paul Chryst over ARE. To each their own, I guess. Creighton seems like another shitty option. 

"proven" by your definition is very "light" imo. 

More like... "Has been a D1 HC before" 

I mentioned earlier how much I respect ARE, but man, talk about a risky hire with a low, low floor.....

- no experience in college
- no experience even as a coordinator
- no recruiting experience
- no play calling experience
- no experience with running any type of program

He just has experience being a receivers coach in another league. I'd have a hard time believing donors paid that $17 million to replace Allen with ARE. We're going to be in the first year of the new B1G tv contract; if there's a time for program of our stature to swing for the fences, it's now. Who knows who we may reel in. Again, I love ARE and I'm sure he could be head coaching material in the future, but it's too soon. This hire is too important for Dolson to hire a coach that will come in and take a couple of years to learn on the job. 

• Like 2

Just now, tdhoosier said:

I mentioned earlier how much I respect ARE, but man, talk about a risky hire with a low, low floor.....

- no experience in college
- no experience even as a coordinator
- no recruiting experience
- no play calling experience
- no experience with running any type of program

He just has experience being a receivers coach in another league. I'd have a hard time believing donors paid that $17 million to replace Allen with ARE. We're going to be in the first year of the new B1G tv contract; if there's a time for program of our stature to swing for the fences, it's now. Who knows who we may reel in. Again, I love ARE and I'm sure he could be head coaching material in the future, but it's too soon. This hire is too important for Dolson to hire a coach that will come in and take a couple of years to learn on the job. 

It's hard for me to believe they'd pay that to hire many of the guys in this thread, though. 

I do agree.. big risk. It was also a risk playing a 5'10 185lbs QB for 4 years. It worked. 

Sorry, I just flat out think ARE has just as good as shot as working as a HC at IU as about anyone. Again, at IU. 

38 minutes ago, HoosierFan997 said:

Is it really that wild? I get thinking ARE could be a good coach, but he has zero experience to be able to say that.

if he wasn’t a good football player at IU he wouldn’t even be a candidate. I don’t think it’s that wild to prefer Chryst. 

At Indiana? Yeah, I think that is wild. 

26 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

That’s good to know, then maybe not him but I will still stand by my statement otherwise.  MAC coach just doesn’t move the needle for me.  If it’s him I hope he proves me wrong but it just feels like a classic IU move when they need to not do that.  Hell, ignore Wilson the person, that hire worked on the field.  He even brought Allen in to fix the D recognizing what he needed to do to win.

Urban Myer was a MAC coach

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Does recruits today even know who ARE is and know about him

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Without the personality, it's not relevant what else you have. ARE is intoxicating in a good way. 

So I don't agree with you. 

Lots of great recruiters have seemingly awful personalities. Have you heard of Nick Sagan and Urban Meyer? Complete douche bags, great recruiters and coaches. 

Just now, btownqb said:

It's hard for me to believe they'd pay that to hire many of the guys in this thread, though. 

I do agree.. big risk. It was also a risk playing a 5'10 185lbs QB for 4 years. It worked. 

Sorry, I just flat out think ARE has just as good as shot as working as a HC at IU as about anyone. Again, at IU. 

Just curious, how long would you give him to become successful?

A common phrase for people who get into positions that are a bit over their head is 'you don't know what you don't know'. I'd think this would be one of those situations, thus more time would be needed for him to navigate the daily challenges a HC would encounter. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Lots of great recruiters have seemingly awful personalities. Have you heard of Nick Sagan and Urban Meyer? Complete douche bags, great recruiters and coaches. 

Are you comparing the situations at Florida, Bama, and Ohio State to Indiana? They are nothing alike. 

I love Nick Saban btw, I don't really see that he is a dbag whatsoever, he's just a winner. 

I don't understand why Justin Frye isn't getting more attention here. Associate HC at the #2 program in the conference (and a top 4 program in the country). Offensive coach. IU grad.

I get he doesn't have HC experience, but let's be honest, any ex-HC is either going to be a retread, or is effectively just as risky (leading EMU or Toledo obviously doesn't guarantee success in the B1G).

Rightly or wrongly, the national perception of this job isn't good. Getting a top assistant from a top program with IU connections would seem to me to be the best chance to hit a HR.

• Like 4

Just now, IUProfessor said:

I don't understand why Justin Frye isn't getting more attention here. Associate HC at the #2 program in the conference (and a top 4 program in the country). Offensive coach. IU grad.

I get he doesn't have HC experience, but let's be honest, any ex-HC is either going to be a retread, or is effectively just as risky (leading EMU or Toledo obviously doesn't guarantee success in the B1G).

Rightly or wrongly, the national perception of this job isn't good. Getting a top assistant from a top program with IU connections would seem to me to be the best chance to hit a HR.

Of any name on the table with zero HC experience he is at the top of my list. 

• Like 1

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Just curious, how long would you give him to become successful?

A common phrase for people who get into positions that are a bit over their head is 'you don't know what you don't know'. I'd think this would be one of those situations, thus more time would be needed for him to navigate the daily challenges a HC would encounter. 

I think that's a little too detailed to answer before seeing the situation as a whole, respectively. I just think our situation is incredibly unique/difficult... it's going to take one incredibly special person to change it around consistently and man a lot of the options here seem stale to me. 

I'm also a little more vocal on this than I really wanted to be..... because I don't truly know, at all, WTF we should do...

How about this---- if they hire ARE I will literally jump so high I'll hit the ceiling, but I'll have no clue what level of success he will have and obviously I will fully support him. 

If we hire someone else, more than likely, I will barely know them... he will seem boring, but I will still very much support them. Idk. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Hey that'll work too. Hope he can light up a room!